3 rod limit, sweet.

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by bream reaper, Feb 20, 2009.

1. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I sure am glad to see we will be allowed to use 3 poles this year in Michigan. The only problem will be going through the bait faster. And another question will be are you sure you want to deal with 3 angry cats at the same time?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Enjoy the privilege of three rods. Illinois has a two pole limit and that sucks.:crazy:

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Thats a good problem to have!:wink:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We can use an unlimited number of rods here in SC. I like the challenge of managing 8 to 12 rods at the same time, and not getting them fouled up. It's cool to be able to cover that much water space, and put that much scent trail in the water too. That said, our tourneys now employ the Cabelas rules, so we can only fish 6 rods per boat. Even fishing lots of rods, it's rare to have more than one takedown at the time. We have an occasional double or triple, but not many.

Bill in SC

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree, i've been to Santee a couple times and it is very exiting to have rods fanned out with multiple baits. The 2 rod limit Michigan had was very limiting and always made me wonder if my bait was ok or if I was snagged. 3 rods seems twice as good as 2, if that makes any sense.

6. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    When does the 3 rod rule go into affect?

7. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    In Missouri you are allowed up to 33 rods/ hooks in the water at any one time. However, if you use more than 3 rods then they must be labeled with the name and address of the user.

8. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    True but if you label the poles (I use the mailing return label every orginazation sends me wanting money) then the rods become the same as bank poles. As long as they have name and address on them you can fish as many as you want. I usually fish 4 catfish poles and am casting a rod. You can fish jugs the same way as long as they are marked and you are watching them, I fish 25 jusg at a time.

9. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    April 1 (no joke)

10. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I want to thank all of you members who wrote to the DNR about this issue back when it was open for discussion. It sounds like they got overwhelmingly positive feedback about changing the regulations, and they actually did it! Being as I do most of my fishing alone, from the bank, this will really change the way I am able to fish; which baits to present, different depths, etc. I will be able to target larger fish without sacrificing a rod I'd normally be setting up for eaters. Now I just need to get shopping and find the perfect rod for my third setup.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You need to keep a close watch on the IL. DNR book on this. Most lakes are marked two pole limit. "

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Same here in NC, unlimited # of rods. I've fished a few tourneys in years past Bill.......we had about 16-20 rods out for a three "man" team. I must be a JINX, 'cause none of us ever caught any fish those times! :smile2: (It didn't lightning and thunder though, and does everytime the OTHER two go without me.)

Sure does get cold out there, even on summer nights. You gotta have a reason to get that adrenaline goin'!

Glad to hear Michigan is going to allow three rods as of April 1st. Y'all tool on over to general conversation and tell me your best April Fool's Day pranks please. I need some ideas. :wink:

13. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    i ummm have a hard time with 2 let alone 3 :0a13: . I am really glad for the new rule though. I wrote in when they had the survey going last year. now i can set up two poles on the bank, 1 for carp, one for catfish and then the other one i cast artificials for other fish while i wait. It's like christmas in july :003:
    regards, ma.d.