3 old reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lucid mark, Sep 3, 2008.

1. lucid mark

lucid mark New Member

State:
    ma
    I was given a penn surf master 200,penn peer 206,and a garcia michell 600a white (sideplates) all in good condition .Can anyone offer any info or opion on thease reels.

Thanks Mark

2. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Don't know anything about the Mitchell, but the Surfmaster is a nice all around reel for catfish. It's a quick take apart, good casting reel originally designed for lighter surf or pier fishing. Good line capacity as well...

I believe you mean a Penn 209, not 206, and if it is a 209, these are great catfish reels as well. They are level winds so casting performance will suffer, but they still cast adequately. For trolling and drifting, the 209 can't be beat. It tough as nails and also good for bank fishing if long casts are not necessary. There are both easy reels to maintain and parts are available. Keep them maintained and your grandkids can use them someday... If these are in any kind of condition, you were given some very nice equipment. I'm jealous!

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have several Penn reels. I have the Penn200 surf master non-level wind. It has been a real challenge trying to learn how to use this reel. I did manage to catch a 43.1 lb Flathead on it using a live Bluegill on a float. It isnt one of my favorite reels simply because of the non-level wind and having to spread the line on the reel as your reeling it in or fighting a fish. I have a Penn 309 which is a brute of a reel. Also a Penn 9m which is sweet! One of my favorites is the Penn 6000 spinning reel which landed me a 67.2 lb Flathead this spring using 20 lb mono. Penn reels have very good drag systems. Good luck with your Penn reels......there isnt anything swimming in fresh water that they wont bring in!!!!:big_smile:

4. lucid mark

lucid mark New Member

State:
    ma
    Your right 209 thanks for the info. Now i have to learn to cast them.

:0a22:Mark

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    AND THAT'S THE HARD PART:smile2::smile2: GOOD LUCK

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got several of the Garcia reels, and they will work great for catfish. Naturally, the models with wider spools will cast better than the narrow spool models.

7. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Penn's you have are both great reels the 200 is a very capable reel cast very well and is not very heavy on the down side you will have to get to using your fingers on guiding the line.The 209 will not cast as far as the 200 but you do not have to guide the line either. As for the Mitchell I not to familiar with that model,but still a great find.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I just got an old 209 and a 8 1/2' troling rod from a flee market store for $20:wink: the reel is in super shape the rod is flimsy but oh well i wanted the reel. the 209 is a real thumb burner to cast, a cotton glove is almost a must. more weight and a glove is a good place to start to learn to cast theise reels.