3 horse johnson

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Big Country01, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i have a older 3 horse johnson that runs(when it wants to) it will run ok for about five minutes that start acting like it's starving for gas i know it has to be a problem in the carb or it must be picking up some trash from the tank can any one give any pointers on how to remedy this an easy way without putting it in the shop?????

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    drain and flush the tank and fuel line drain the carb and clean it out. that should more then likely take care of it after your done cleaning it all up put a new fuel filter inline too

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    mutt said it....THEN take it to the shop :)

good luck

4. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    I'm Trying To Keep Out Of The Shop...

5. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    one other thing i do recomend is after you clean everything up and install the new filter and run it if it still gives fits check your fuel pressure after the fuel pump. i do not know what the pressure is for your engine but on my merc 60 its 2.7 to 4 psi at idle if the pressure goes up and down first check for leaks fittings losing connection and allowing air to get in the line if everything checks out get a rebuild kit for your pump. i just bought a new pump kit for my merc cost was 11.31 compared to a new pump at 116.99 ended up not needing the kit on mine but i have it for later on if i need it. i also recomend if you dont have one find a manual on the engine sure makes it eaiser for the specs you need and any other help. good luck let us know what you find.

6. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    thanx mutt, as a matter of fact i had a guy ask me if i wanted to sell it to him but what would the value be on an older 3 hp johnson???

7. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    that would be a hard question to answer to be honest. what year is it? if it is a newer model say in the 10 year old range id say 300 ro so depending on overall condition. i know a new engine in that range runs around 1000 bucks depnding on where you get a 2 or 4 stroke. from what i am seeing is the johson JH-19A is selling around 200 needing carb work so id say 2 to 300 range depending on year and overall condition.

8. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    it's in good shape, new water pump and it looks to be from the late seventies to early eighties....

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I don't mean to interrupt, but would you like to know what yr your engine is?

10. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    that would be nice.....

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Post the model number

12. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    no problem i'll go get it out storage today....

13. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Although I just joined and this post is a bit old ...

I'd suggest checking the float levels .. and the floats themselves.

I have a 2 1/2 Johnson (very old - 1941) on which I have to replace the floats every couple years. Mine are cork floats that eventually get chipped away and so soaked they no longer react properly. I'm sure yours are better and probably not cork, but improper float levels (which includes needles and seats) will make your engine act just as you described.

It's not all that difficult to pop the float chambers and check the float measurements. Most old engines have metal float suspension tangs so they can be bent to the proper height.

Not a bad idea to pop the chambers periodically (once a year) and check for "junk" and the needles/seats for pitting or debris.