3 Foot EEL Caught In The Lehigh River w/pics

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by justme, Aug 27, 2006.

1. justme

justme New Member

State:
    pa
    Hi I just figured i would share this I went out tonight for a little and cought some cats & almost a 3 foot eel, I usually use chicken liver and night crawlers, but they were out so I had to buy BEEF LIVERS .... Well They worked out great !!!! I was constantly getting hits ... the Beff Liver was great and it stayed on the hook perfect .... also i included a pic of the 6 in minnow in its gut .... lol

Attached Files:

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky

3. justme

justme New Member

State:
    pa
    Well it was a shock for me ... Never caught an EEL that big but I guess not everyone will think it is a big deal ........

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I thought those critters were saltwater species. I'd been shocked too!:roll_eyes:

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Ive never caught an eel either, thats a nasty looking critter.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice catch Bill! I have never caught an Eel. Are you going to eat it? Thanks for posting the pics!

7. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I got a few that big on chicken livers.Got them in Easton at the dam at the end of the Lehigh where it dumps into the Delaware.Do you eat them or what? I have always heard they taste great,just never learned how to clean or cook them.Any tips would be great!!

8. justme

justme New Member

State:
    pa
    Hi Well with the eel my buddy smokes them , You pretty much just clean them like a trout ... Yea they sell smoked eel at the store and its not cheap ..... everyone who i know eats them loves them therey say there not bony at all . Im going to try it .... I never ate them before but ill let you know .... Usually people use a smaller long hook to catch them but i was using a big catfish hook with a big piece of beef liver and there he was .... thanks everyone ... Bill

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I keep "eels" in my home aquaria and thats not an eel. It has pectoral fins and true eel species do not have "flippers" of any kind, except the rudder-like tail. Might be tropical or just some type of native fish I have never seen! I have caught river "eels" on trout worms up the crick (creek) but they don't look like that! Very cool! Congrats!

10. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    well what ever it is it sure is a nice catch.

11. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    Makes Great bait !!!!!!!!!

12. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I caught a eel once, myself. Man, those things are ugly. Thanks for sharing!!

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Wild, thanks for sharing the pics.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It looks like the American Eels that I have been catching in South Carolina and Georgia for over 50 years.Also look like the ones that I saw and caught in Europe while in the navy.My Grandfather and a Friend use to like them so I saved all that I caught.I cleaned them just like a cat fish and cut them up in 2 inch pieces.If you slit them down each side of the back bone,you won;t have a pink look to the cooked flesh and juice along the backbone.They ate them fried as you would a Catfish.They are good Catfish bait,and good bait for many saltwater fish.A American Eel has a fin on each side of its body right behind it's gills.A similar looking creature called the Greater Siren is a giant salamander and has 2 legs up front instead of gills.Please release these as they are rare,harmless and taste bad.They will bite and hold on like a blame turtle.The different Ells that I have bought for my freshwater aquariums over the years turned out to be Ell looking fish when I looked them up in the books.peewee-williams

15. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    That is an average size for the Lehigh and Delaware.Lets get together and go fishing!:big_smile:

16. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    The American fresh water eel you have there is one of the finest catfish baits you can come by. Chunk it and put the chunks on a hook, my last trip out I caught 6 catfish on the same chunk of eel, it will not come off the hook! Eel will be just as good even after being frozen, I vacum seal eels and they will stiil be great bait even after refreezing several times.

17. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Ugly looking things

18. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    eewweehh. I hope I never catch one. Just looking at the picture gives me the willies.:crazy:

st

19. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    My buddy caught one the other night in high water... those things creep my out

Attached Files:

20. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i havent caught an eel since the early 90's. (then again thats the last time i went) theyre so fun to try to unhook...NOT!! i should try it again sometime.