3 degrees/15 degrees which is better

Discussion in 'Boating' started by 1sporticus, Mar 9, 2008.

1. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    3/15 degrees which is better for skinny water? My flat boat is a 3 degree boat, but it rides pretty rough sometimes. I was wondering which draws less water on 2 identical boats, one with a 3 degree hull, and one with a 15 degree hull. I'm talking side by side, same weight ect.
    Later Andy

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Go with 15-I figure thats a good answear and about what yer off:wink:THAT MY STOREY AND I AM STICKIN TO IT!

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you're looking for something that is going to handle the rough water better the 15 degree hull is the way to go. It may draw a little more water but the advantages of it outweigh the disadvantages by a long ways. To me there is no comparison between the 3 degree hull and the 15 degree hull.JMO

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Glenn, Catfish Kenny you just aint right. LOL Later Andy

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Andy its gonna get worse we are close:big_:0a22:smile_:0a23:2:

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    same weight, same boat but with diff deg bottoms? the flatter would have shallower draft.
    Also, if u have to get over sand bar the flatter the bottom the easier it is, learned this on the river where i have to get out and pull boat across. It is alot tuffer with the V

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glen better get er in gear or he is gonna see my wake at the docs-I called my little gun and it be smokin:eek:oooh:We are rolling out weather permitting.We are gonna go try technique-you know develope a lill and see if we can't make ice cream out of poo:big_smile_2:giong fishin!:roll_eyes:later this week it is ON!

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    .........................ITS ON!

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I put the starter back together today,so I think I'll give it the acid test this week if it warms up enough for me to get it put back on the motor and take it down to the dock to try it out. I'm not in that big of hurry,I want the water temp to warm up before I'm going to get to excited about going. It will warm up one of these days and the water temps will come up then I'll be ready to go. Have you got your bait all ready to go. I'll give you a head start so you won't feel so bad when I go flying by you.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Fly Glen Fly as long as you dont swamp me I wont throw sinkers at you:wink:
    We are getting there-oh can you feel it?

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is no do all boat.
    Boats are compromises. If you want to run skinny stick with a flat bottom.
    If you want a better ride, step out and get something with alot of deadrise.
    You cant cant take either boat and make it do what it cant do.

I just read a post on another thread with someone saying their 15 degree SeArk pulls 15" of water. If thats the case, it's no skinny water boat.
    15" inches of water is alot of water in alot of places.

Best thing to do is sit down and make a list of the pros and cons of each.
    Keep in mind though that the deeper the V the more horsepower is required.
    Suffer through a rougher ride vs. more money up front in engine, maintenance , and fuel.

Depends on what you want to do and how deep the wallet is.
    Let me just say, I've had my day with 150 HP and combined 300 HP.
    Gas was cheap then and I couldnt hook up to the bass boat for less then a 100 bucks by the time I fueled both tanks, bought a bait or two, a bag of ice for the sixpack, and fed a tow vehicle.

If I were boat shopping I would be looking for alot of boat with not alot of engine requirement. Gas aint getting no cheaper.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Just a side note. It doesn't even matter if you pair it with anything other than a jet. Even with a jet you are talking a marginal difference unless you consistently run ankle deep water which I do in a 2072 15 degree SeaArk with a 115/80 jet.

13. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is the key when buying a boat these days. It'll be the first thing I think about when I get ready to buy another one.

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have had a Seaark 24/72 with a cabin and a 3 degree hull for over two years and I have had it in rough water and I dont have any compaints and it does have a shallow draft, my next boat will also be a 3 degree.