3 cent First Class Postage

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jan 19, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Probably most folks on BOC never saw a 3 cent First Class postage stamp. It was used the first 22 years of my life. The 3 cent First Class faded into history in 1958. In 1957 postage was 3 cents and gas was 24 cents.

Back a few days ago they raised First Class Postage to 39 cents. Food for thought... if gas had kept up with the price of First Class Postage we would be paying $3.12.
    Here today gas was 2.25. Some parts of AR it is $2.10

And we complain about the price of gas.... :D
    Because we spent more on gas.

Attached Files:

2. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    i wasnt around whenpostage was 3 cents but since i used to be a stamp collector,i have a lot of 'em,in fact,i been using them old stamps on letters lately.it's really makin' my letter carrier mad.i reckon he wants 'em.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    My question is why didn't they just make it 40 cents? I asked a lady at the PO that and she replied, "politics".

4. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Don't give them any ideas, Cheryl. Anybody here rember the 1/2 cent stamp? I believe it was a Postage Due stamp. Imagine that.

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Thats one of the first ol stamps i've ever seen. Wow, three cents. Dayton, thanks a bunch for sharing. I always enjoy seeing anything from the past especially somthing i've never seen before!!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You have gone an done it now Dayton. I will be down in the dumps all night.
    I have licked a few of those 3 cent stamps in my life.:)

7. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Cost of living goes up and wages stay the same. Prices keep on going it wont matter what they charge because nobody will be able to afford them. Within the last eleven years the average house price in PHX has trippled. I really feel bad for the younger generation trying to start up a family and make a home here. I have had several coworkers leave the state because they couldnt afford to live in PHX. It's a shame. Sorry for the soap box delivery. I just get fired up over these type of things.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Not to be a smartazz-but in a way,it was raised by politicians.In 2003,congress voted the rate increase to go to the retirement(pension) plan for the workers.I'm guessing that at one time,the gov. borrowed from it.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Penny post cards. Coal oil (kerosene to you Yankees) for ten cents a gallon.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Hey Jerry!!! How ya'll are?? You are making me feel old.A penny for Bubble gum,penny matches,Prince Albert in a corn cob pipe(I made my first when I was 9),a pack of smokes 25 cents and ride around all night on a $1.00 worth of gas.My GrandMA had a country store and had a coal oil tank setting by the door with a hand pump.In them days there a lot of poor familys around there who didn't have no wires running into the house and if they wanted to see at night they had to light a candle or a coal oil lamp and Ma Bell diddn't even run phone wires back into there till I was grown.Boy I sure pumped a many gallion of coal oil back then.A guy who couldn't read walked(the man never owned a car) to the store with a Sears catalog and showed my grandma a pitcure of a woman in a nice dress and said that was what he wanted.She was wondering what he wanted a dress for and when she ask he said he didn't want no dress he wanted to order the woman. :D

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Penny for DB brings back memories. During WW2 I remember standing in line for an hour waiting on the local Five and Dime store to open. They had got in one box of Double Bubble, they let us kids buy one piece each. I could have easy resold mine for a nickel. Also remember them getting in a box Hersey candy bars... the store sold them one bar to a customer. It was a treat to buy anything made of sugar during the war.

It wasn't only the poor that didn't have electrical power back when I was a kid. If you lived in the country no one had it. I was 13 before we got power. We had one bulb and one outlet in each of the 2 rooms. I help my brother wire our house... boy, it was sure a complicated bunch of wires! :D
    I was 17 before I saw a TV, that was at San Antonia after I had enlisted in the AF.