3 acre pond=huge catfish...i have questions.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadchris, Sep 30, 2006.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    Well about 30 minutes from my house i found a pond thats free to fish but u cant keep em.Its stocked with cats 15lbs+ mostly blues and flats.Its about 12 feet deep in the middle and about 3-3 1/2 acres big and is heavily fished.

What should i do to increase the odds of me actually catching one?:big_smile:

p.s. il be fishing bottom.and the owner said theres nothing structure wise in it.

2. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    try different baits bluegills, cut bluegills, creek chubs,goldfish, keep trying different baits until you find one they seem to like.the main thing is cat fishing is a waiting game be prepared to spend some time. good luck to you.

3. Catfishnz4me

Catfishnz4me New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    hey bud.. i would try whole dead bluegill or cut bait... smaller live bluegill work REALLY well for big cats! give it a try and let me know how it works!! just remember .... big cats are a waiting game! good luck to you!

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    pick a spot no oner else fishes out of the way if you have to walk thru mud or a briar patch even better , bait that spot regularly you can get chum recipes on here if you look . thats the best way to insure the fish will be in the area you want to fish then use any bait that has been mentioned in that spot , good luck

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would just keep tryin with whole shade or bluegill.:0a26:

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    First thing I would do if there was no structure is forget bottom fishing and use a slip bobber setup. Seems to work better for me that way in ponds and lakes. Experiment with different depths and baits. Contray to popular belief catfish don't just lay on the bottom their whole lives. They swim at the same depth as the bait fish in the body of water when they are feeding. I imagine that most other people are fishing bottom, so in my opinion this would be the best way to increase your odds of landing a nice one.

7. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    The last poster is right. If your fishing a lake with a flat bottom you need to use a slip bobber and experiment with depth. If it's heavily fished like you said, then the fish have seen all the diferent baits. I'd try 7-10 feet if it's a 12 foot lake. If it's not working change it up untill you find out whats working

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Minnows under a slip bobber might be worth a try, good luck.

9. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Use live bait under a float and hold on...LOL...Try a gill

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with Jason. Use a slip bobber about 6 to 8ft deep with a big fat creek chub live or dead... And if that dont work Just try a trusty ol' night crawler... And if it is fished as heavy as you say... Try using hot dogs... It does work... Good luck and let us know if you catch any hogs, well anything period...

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I agree with Troy , use fresh bait , offer them what is natural , and what other people aren't .

12. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You might try hot dogs he probably feeds with fish food and the hot dog might look close to it.