3-5-08 report below Truman Dam

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, got up at 3:30am and headed out for some fishing. Got down to Drake Harbor on the water about 7am and looked for shad there, after about 20 throws I netted 14 nice big shad, they were stacked up in 12 feet of water near the bank opposite of the boat ramp. I fished everywhere, at the buoys below the dam, mud flats, slack water, swift water, current breaks, channel ledges, deep in 35 feet to shallow in 5 feet, even way downstream from the 65 Highway bridge. NOT EVEN A BITE!!!! Steve Brown stopped by while I was fishing and also said that he had been having a hard time finding fish so I don't feel so bad. Lots of dead and dying shad floating downstream from the dam and after my conversation with Spoonfish I will agree that the fish are eating good which is making them hard to catch. Water temp was 38-39 degrees so as soon as it starts to warm up I think the fishing will turn on. Good luck everyone! Chris

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Well Chris at least ya know where they ain't bitin. Your narrowing the search, you find em. A bad day fishin still beats a good day werkin or sittin home.:wink:

3. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Man that is some cold water. :crazy: I sure hope we get some warm weather soon because the spoonbill aren't going to be moving a whole lot with water that cold. :confused2:

4. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    They ran water all day which had me thinking I'd get on some fish but no luck. By the looks of it, they should be running water from Truman for quite a while so this spring should be another repeat of last year hopefully. I still had a good time, fish or not. Chris

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thanks for the report Chris. Judith said you called, I caught the flu yesterday and still have it today. Feel like dog ..... or I would have come down and fished. Just a matter of time with all the water they are running again this year.

6. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Hope ya get to feeling better Troy. I went walleye fishing last night at Stockton. The water temp was 37-38 degrees still a little to cold. Fished for about an hour and a half with no takers. Water needs to warm up 4-5 degrees before it should get good. I was surprised that the water was still that cold. Shouldn't be long now. I will keep you guys posted.

7. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the report Chris, as grim as it was. I think old man winter is getting to us all. Come on Spring!
    :crazy:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for the update.

Troy, hope you feel better soon dude. Im sure this weather isnt helping much. This winter has seemed to drag on and on for some reason. I'm soooo ready for it get warmer.

Another winter like this and you'll be able to find me in Kutters Cave. :eek:oooh:

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    hey chris u ever fished downstream from drake harbor before the bridge where that real steep cliff bank is ... ive down real good there in late march on some good channels. my dad and my uncles used to go up there every year about this time and tear the stripers and crappie up and when they ran the water at the dam we would go down along that cliff and drift with small shad and minnows through there picking up a few cats.

10. Catfish Pursuit

State:
    Missouri
    I've fished that bluff a few times before but never found any big fish there. I tried across from there in the current eddy, just downstream from the bend, nothing there either. This was the first time I have ever come up empty fishing below the dam, I think the cats are full from all the shad kill. Chris