3/4 EMT Rails on a BassTracker

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by sarSWAMPFOX, Jun 8, 2007.

1. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    After a question about if you can make hand rails out of EMT conduit I had a friend ask me to make a set for his BassTracker. I have done it before on my boat as well as others. So I said I would if I could take pictures and post them on here for all to see. He said ok so here we go.
    The material list for his boat called for 60' of 3/4 EMT conduit, 32 each #10 self-tapping screws, and 36" of 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 X 1/8 angle iron. Total price here $40.67 Tools we used to fabricate 3/4 EMT foot bender, portable band saw, 4" heavy vise , 200 amp stick welding machine, 1 lb 6011 X 3/32 electrodes, screw gun w/ 5/16" driver, and a 16 oz hammer. First I want to show the BassTracker before Picture & my HappyTraveler after picture.

Attached Files:

2. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I'm not as much going into all the measurement details as this is different from boat to boat but principle points normaly stay the same. Some times you need more than a 10' stick of EMT this is how I accomplish this. I use an item not on the materials list because I had several at my shop and didn't need to buy them. The item is 1/2" spt close nipple to scope inside the joints of two pieces of 3/4 EMT.

Attached Files:

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Before welding my TEEs or Ys I flattin the EMT on the end I plan to weld. This doubles the thickness of the piece I want to weld and saves a bunch of notching. With TEEs I flattin 1" of the end. With Ys I flattin 2" of the end. I tack the flattin piece to the rail on each side of the flat then bend the exposed end over the rail then weld it around the end. Make sure no holes for water to enter cause water filled EMT is no good. To make sure I seal all holes even pin holes spray the intire system when complete with pick-up bed liner, It bonds well with EMT ,It seals, and IT also gives a textured grip to the rails.

Attached Files:

4. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I also flattin the bottoms of my pickets then bend them to the angle I need to mount them to the boat. The length of flatteded area may deffer from one location on the boat to another.

Attached Files:

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    More mounting pics.

Attached Files:

6. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I cut the 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 X 1/8 angle iron into 1 1/2 " pieces then weld them on were I want rod holders to mount. Then drill a hole in it to fit the rod holder shaft. Here are some pics of the rear rails as we put the rod holders on but they haven't been tightened yet so they look funny.

Attached Files:

7. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    OK I left plenty of room for question and I will try to answer if I can. Here is what the BassTracker looks like now.

Attached Files:

8. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Those pictures were very informative, and inspiring too going to put EMT on my pontoon as soon as i can will try to post pictures too. the use of a 1/2 nipple to extend the length is a great idea thanks for that and the pictures great looking job too. Cheers jerry

9. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    SUPER AWESOME POST!!!! :dribble: GREAT INFO!! :0a31: THANKYOU
    Andy

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    JD that is an Awesome job. Great Pics. Thanks for sharing.:lol::big_smile:

11. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    NOw that right there is the ticket! Excellent write up as well!

12. hoso95

hoso95 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    nice job.It really looks versatile

13. TWEEDER

TWEEDER New Member

State:
    SC
    Sweet job JD, that's Lewis's Basstracker right? I seen him trolling for crappie with it, rods out every way you can think of. You should post a pic of it with the pedistol seats up, it puts the rod handles right there at the perfect height. Can you do some thing like that on a 14' Monark jon boat? At least the rear drifting rail. Thanks again for the informative post.

14. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Yeah you got the boat right. He spider fishes for crappie with 8 rods off the front. And it does put the rod handles at the right height to just swivel around and set the hook. Jon boats not a problem. Bring it down and we'll take some measurements. Bring your camera and we'll put the pictures on here for everyone to see.

15. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    nice job , would be nice to be that talented .

16. catfisherokie

catfisherokie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    thats some great info there!

17. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    great post nice pictures,hand rails should help with kids are older people like me.

18. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve New Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Great idea.:good:

19. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Great idea, post, and the pics are awesome. It adds a lot of versatility to the boat. Your workmanship is excellent. Wish I was creative like that.
    :glasses-cool:

20. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dude! That looks amazing! Very nice job.