3/25/06 First Catfish Trip of the Year

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by TXBlueHunter, Mar 26, 2006.

1. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I left the house at 6:00pm and drove to Lake Grapevine. It was a nice sping day with a little south wind. I get to the cove I was planning on fishing and there was a family already set up where I was going to fish so I spent the fish hour getting some shad. I ending up netting about 35 shad ranging from 8 inches to 1 inch.

After an hour of throwing the castnet the family showed no sign of leaving so I headed out to find another spot. I ended up at a spot I have caught a few from last summer so I get up.

With in 10 minutes I landed the 12 incher in the pic. He took a treble full of SureShot. Man I tell you that little 12 incher hit like he thought he was a 50 lber. LOL.

Well an hour an a half go by with nothing. I had nine rods out baited with SureShot, Whole Shad, cut shad, chicken liver, & beef liver.

At about the two hour make from catching the 12 incher I was cleaning my gear and noticed my rod with the beef liver slaped the water. Of course I jump out of my new BPS Big Man's chair (the best chair I have own, will post more in the product section) spill my drink step in my tackle bag and almost fall down.

I get to the rod and it slaps the water again. I pick it up and give it a good sweep (had an 8/0 cirlce on) and fill what I thought was a big fish. This thing was fighing hard. After a few minutes the second channel was landed.

Not much to tell after that. I spent another hour watching my rods sit in the holders.

I have to say spring is here. The larger cat had eggs and they both were very aggressive.

All in all a get start to the 2006 season.

Tight lines to all.

Attached Files:

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Fryin' Time now !!! Hey Tim, good job buddy. Beats what I've been doing.
    I told ya I was goin' fishin' and ya said ya had honey do's to do. Well, I guess it back fired on me cause ya went fishin' and I'm still doin' honey do's.....:confused:

3. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Tod

I made a deal with the wife. She got to go out with a friend yesterday all day and I got to fish all night. However, today has been different, still have half a list of honey-dos to complete but hay there is always next weekend.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Yea but that's next weekend :crying: I wanted to go this weekend :cry-big: .......

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Good looking fish, I'll bet they taste as good as they look. I've been out once this year for cats and I wish I could have had the success you did. Sometimes those little ones hit like a ton of bricks.

6. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    How warm is the water down there? water temp on the mississippi in iowa is a nice cool 40ish not warm enough for too much to be biting. those cats look good to me. my freezers getting low the fishes better start biting soon..LOL

7. Brad

Brad New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Heading to Santee in two weeks. Hopefully this year will start off with the dragg zingin'. That is a great sound. Have a great year!

8. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas

Kenny

The weather is bouncing from the 50s to the high 70s. We had major rain last weekend then the weather got down into the 30s at night and 50s during the day. Now it back in the high 60s to low 70s.

Water temp is getting warm I washed my hands in the water last night and it was not to bad.

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Tim where bouts did u catch those? Murrell Park? If so where bouts you get your shad? I may fish the cove at Trail 7 in Murrell in the morn.

10. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas

James I was in Murrell Park. Trail #7 was where I wanted to fish, man that spot is looking good.

I ended up fishing in the cover by th main boat ramp. The one at the main entrance of the park.

I got the shad in the cove there at #7. Once you get to the water from the Parking area go to the small cove on the right, away from the standing timber. In this cove is a stick up you can just see the top of. I was getting all the shad a few feet all around this stick up. Do not get to close to the stick up it will tear your net up. I have to holes to patch now.

I got a few from the back of the cove to the left of the parking area but the place above had the big shad.

Hope this helps.

11. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I was just there the other day since the water has moved up that cove is sure lookin good. I think i threw my cast next right next to the stick up you are talking about and i didnt get a single thing. Id like to find a bunch of small gills to put back in the freezer for when i need cut bait but i cant find them here lately.