3/17/07 Close ups of weird deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by samh, Mar 17, 2007.

1. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Sam, looks like one you'd like to cull from the herd. Strange genetics it appears. Thanks for the pictures.

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Looks like a generic defect, I think I would try to take it out of the herd my self.

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    He's (or it) has been on the hit list for 3 years, the only thing is no one has ever seen this deer, only pictures. Every picture I've got of him is from the same feeder, 1/2 mile from my house on the edge of a 60 acre field, we're by there all the time, but he only comes out to play a night. I've never got a daytime picture of it either. Kind'a had to kill if ya never see it. Also now Arkansas has a 3 point rule( has to have at least 3 points on one side to be legal, 4 points in some areas) with the only exception being a kid under 16 killing their first deer or during a special youth hunt. I've had several kids take their first deer here, but just never have been able to see this one.

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    he looks like a muture deer, goes to show that there has to be some huge deer out there that are never seen.

5. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    Maybe its a doe with some weird stuff going on?

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I figured you were trying to get it, sure would be a neat trophy for a youngster.

7. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    he probably figures with a rack like that he dont wantu come out in the daytime:lol: :tounge_out:

8. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Show theose pics to the state and they may give you authority to slip the rule on that one. Strange thing there.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    personally id have to pop it and not say a word to the wrong people a deer like that could ruin the heard , slip out in black and wait till he shows even at night a 22 short at close range in the lungs should do the trick , i know i know its not ethical but some rules are meant to be broken besides ethics shouldnt have anything to do with a mercy killing that ugly old deer needs to be put down

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Yeah id try to take him, her, it whatever out. If I looked like that I dont know if Id come out in the daytime either.

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I showed pictures of this deer to the Arkansas Game & Fish state biologist and to my best friend, who is a large animal veterinarian, and they both said there was little chance of this deer breeding anything, both said the most likely reason for the strange antler growth was a serious injury to his testicles or according to the vet an injury to his pituitary gland either of which probably makes him sterile. The next most likely reason is that it's a doe with screwed up hormones. I've moved the camera around several times try'n to get a picture from an angle that would show if its a he or she, but I've never got a picture that would show what sex it is.

12. sailfish218

sailfish218 New Member

State:
    SC
    Cull deer for sure if you can get him. Looks like the same deer in your 2/23/07 post

13. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Yep same deer, had pictures of it for 3 years now, head gear hasn't changed much, but the body's bigger than 3 years ago.

14. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Like jason said. maybe it's a doe with a hormonal imbalance. the fact it never sheds makes me kinda think that. What are your local regs on antlerless deer? in illinois it's still considered an antlerless if it's got less than 4 inches in lenght of antler growth.

15. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    If it's thru the skin its a horn, and not legal unless a 3 point or better on one side, the kids under 16 get to hunt the weekend before the regular gun seasn and can shoot anything, always have a pretty good group of kids hunting on the place here. It still don't make much difference what the rules are if no one ever see's it, like I said, I've been get'n pics of this deer for 3 years and no one has ever laid eyes on it. This is no off on some lease where no one ever goes, this is a working farm that 3 families live on full time, we're around all the time and see game all the time, but not this deer.

16. MathewsBoHUNTer88

MathewsBoHUNTer88 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i also think it could be a doe with some hormonal problem!

17. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a picture of a trophy deer that has a growth like that covering half it's head. I was told it's called an antler tumor and it's not contagious.

18. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    THANKS FOR POSTING THOSE PICS SAMH, WAS VERY INTERESTING TO SEE THAT DEER AND TO READ EVERYONES OPINION ON THIS SUBJECT

19. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Id bet there is a good chance he has an injury of some kind. Maybe hit by a car or something. I have seen deer have some pretty strange antlers after a serious injury they recover from...... Just a guess.