2nd winter trip the Cave Run spillway

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kycatman01, Dec 28, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well, a friend(David) and I went fishing at the spillway again on December 26. We had a great fishing day. We caught (8) channel cats, (3) trout, (2) bluegills, (1) rockhead, (1) redeye, and (1) 3 lb bass. The biggest channel was about 3+ lbs. We caught most of the fish within a 1 hour period. It was one of the best fishing experiences We have had. We did get a little cold and it was spitting snow but I would do it all again. Of course, we are going again, soon. Thanks for future responses and take care, all!!

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats Jackie. What time of day did you catch most of them? Were you fishing with minnows? I've had a hankerin to go there some day,but haven't done it yet.

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    We caught most of them from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. We were using nightcrawlers and corn for the trout. Man, it was a great time.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hehe, look where the moon was when yall started catchin those fish, straight overhead, and at dusk, two very influential factors when combined.

http://mach.usno.navy.mil/cgi-bin/aa_pap

Sun and Moon Data for One Day

The following information is provided for Morehead, Rowan County, Kentucky (longitude W83.4, latitude N38.2):
    Tuesday 26 December 2006 Eastern Standard Time SUN Begin civil twilight 7:20 a.m. Sunrise 7:49 a.m. Sun transit 12:34 p.m. Sunset 5:20 p.m. End civil twilight 5:50 p.m. MOON Moonset 11:02 p.m. on preceding day Moonrise 11:56 a.m. Moon transit 5:58 p.m. Moonset 12:12 a.m. on following day Phase of the Moon on 26 December: waxing crescent with 40% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated.
    First quarter Moon on 27 December 2006 at 9:48 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    FYI Jackie, the weekend of the 13th & 14th should also be excellent at dawn. Sunrise and moon transit coincide on these days (there is a 2 hr. window, actually). The solunar conditions that you experienced Dec 26 will be duplicated on Jan 24th & 25th. Because the fish are congregated below the dam, solunar influence will be apparent, especially whenever moon transent coicides with sunrise or sunset.

http://mach.usno.navy.mil/

U.S. Naval Observatory
    Astronomical Applications Department

Sun and Moon Data for One Day
    The following information is provided for Morehead, Rowan County, Kentucky (longitude W83.4, latitude N38.2):

Saturday
    13 January 2007 Eastern Standard Time

SUN
    Begin civil twilight 7:21 a.m.
    Sunrise 7:50 a.m.
    Sun transit 12:42 p.m.
    Sunset 5:35 p.m.
    End civil twilight 6:04 p.m.

MOON
    Moonset 12:17 p.m. on preceding day
    Moonrise 2:43 a.m.
    Moon transit 7:48 a.m.
    Moonset 12:45 p.m.
    Moonrise 3:47 a.m. on following day

Sunday
    14 January 2007 Eastern Standard Time

SUN
    Begin civil twilight 7:20 a.m.
    Sunrise 7:49 a.m.
    Sun transit 12:43 p.m.
    Sunset 5:36 p.m.
    End civil twilight 6:05 p.m.

MOON
    Moonset 12:45 p.m. on preceding day
    Moonrise 3:47 a.m.
    Moon transit 8:36 a.m.
    Moonset 1:19 p.m.
    Moonrise 4:52 a.m. on following day

Wednesday
    24 January 2007 Eastern Standard Time

SUN
    Begin civil twilight 7:16 a.m.
    Sunrise 7:45 a.m.
    Sun transit 12:46 p.m.
    Sunset 5:47 p.m.
    End civil twilight 6:16 p.m.

MOON
    Moonset 11:14 p.m. on preceding day
    Moonrise 10:50 a.m.
    Moon transit 5:32 p.m.
    Moonset 12:26 a.m. on following day

Thursday
    25 January 2007 Eastern Standard Time

SUN
    Begin civil twilight 7:16 a.m.
    Sunrise 7:44 a.m.
    Sun transit 12:46 p.m.
    Sunset 5:48 p.m.
    End civil twilight 6:17 p.m.

MOON
    Moonrise 10:50 a.m. on preceding day
    Moonset 12:26 a.m.
    Moonrise 11:19 a.m.
    Moon transit 6:23 p.m.
    Moonset 1:39 a.m. on following day

6. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks alot for the info and great fishing to ya!!

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hope I'm not boring you all with this topic, but if I didn't know from experience from deer & squirrel hunting that the solunar effect is real, I'd drop it. I am convinced that Jackie's good fortune Dec 26 at dusk was no coincidence. Alot of people who don't know about it think that it's all about moon phase; dark of the moon, full moon, crescent moon, etc., and it's not about moon phase but moon position, although in some phases of the moon the solunar affect is sronger. A good explanation of solunar affect can be found here http://www.lake-online.com/solunar/ . The free tables provided are for Cental Time. By adding an hour to the times given would put you right in the window for Eastern Time. The Lexington Herald Leader used to (and may still do so) provide a weekly solunar table for Central KY in the Sunday Sports Section.

Briefly, the theory goes like this: A lunar day is 24 hrs & 50 mins. If on a certain day the moon was directly overhead at 2:00 pm it will be directly beneath 12 hrs & 25 mins later at 2:25 am the next morning, and back directly overhead another 12 hrs & 25 mins later at 2:50 pm the next day. These are the times when fish and game have the urge to feed, whenever the moon is directly overhead or beneath your feet. When either one of these moon positions (overhead or beneath) occur at dawn or dusk is when the solunar affect is at it's best. Check it out and see for yourselves, I think you'll be surprised. It occured to me that in a spot like Jackie was fishing below the dam where fish are naturally congregated (you KNOW they're there) the solunar affect will be especially obvious.

Now there are factors that will totally negate solunar affect, like a weather change, the spawn, and heavy fishing pressure. But on Dec 26 at Cave Run dam, the weather was stable, no spawn, and I'm guessing there weren't too many people there the day after Christmas.

Nuff said.