.270 Win. bullet choice question?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by Little Bill, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Just bought a new rifle. Encore Pro Hunter in .270 Win. This rifle has a 28" barrel. Has anyone shot this rifle and what bullet weight/ factory ammo do you reccomend. I am going to try the 130 grain.Will be hunting fields with 300 yard shots very likely.Figured the 130's were flatter shooting. I was told by a co worker that he shot 130s out of a 26 inch barrel with bad results. The bullet would explode and not go through the deer leaving no trail. I am not a fan at all of the plastic tip bullets Imo they don't really do good unless you hit bone first.Tried the plastic tip once more this year in a 308 with bad results again, double lung shot behind the shoulder very poor blood trail and 200 yard, 3 hour tracking job. Shot 3 deer this year with the plastic with the same result deer ran a minimum of 100 yards with very poor blood. All the deer were shot behind the shoulder through both lungs. Done with plastic!! They are now in the coyote ammunition bucket. I have killed many many deer but never with a .270. Over 70 of them have been with the .30-06. Wanted a single shot rifle in .30-06 wasn't available so the .270 was my next choice. Kinda worried about the 130 grain explosion, but wanted to use them for longer range.Going to try core locks, power points and federal premium btsp. Anyone have experience with these bullets on deer? Will they penetrate both sides or explode? Would like to know your results.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    With factory ammo ( i handload) i prefer Federal Premium with the nozler partition bullet. I shoot 140 grain with good results.You'll enjoy the 270.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    270 is a good caliber, but I"m not familiar with it. Hard to believe a shot with 308 don't leave a blood trail. May not go thru both sides, but those plastic tip bullets do a good job. I'd recommend a heavier bullet than usual if they are exploding on ya Heavier bullets hold together better.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Over the years I've shot a bunch of deer and hogs with the .270.
    Had good results with the Remington loads with the 130 Core Lokt and the hornady light mag loads with the 140 interbond which I been using the past several years.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I was wondering at what range did you shoot these deer, where the bullets exploded..

Standard bullets at high velocity and close range would be the worst case scenario,,,
    Quality bullets, Barnes X, Nosler partition, etc. will hold together well. 130-150 grain should do well. Even at close range, they hold together.
    With a 28" Barrel, and handloads, you should be able to get some real impressive velocities,with the right powder, I'd go for Nosler Partition bullets, in about 140gr, and see how that works.

Jack O'Connor killed about everything on several continents with the .270.

6. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've never shot the 270 will start next week. The two people that told me about their bad experience with the 130 grain were shooting ballistic tips and shot from 50 yrds to 200 and had problems with them not passing through and even exploding. I was just wondering if a bonded bullet or heavier weight would be better. They have quit using the ballistic tip and shooting a heavier bullet with better results. I've had problems with the ballistic tips in a 30 06 years ago and just quit using them.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    like Mike I have used the 130 Core Lokt with good results. Been using that bullet for several years i a Remington Model 700

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'd say 130grn.PSP Remington should do the trick for you. I have killed several deer with this load. I'm shooting a Ruger model 1 and have always had good luck with this ammo.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I wouldnt give up on the plastic tip bullets just yet.I shoot winchester supreme ballistic silvertips in 130 grain. They do a great job leaving a blood trail,heck with those ive never had to tack a deer at least no more then about 15 yards tops.most of the time they drop when they are hit.
    I shot one at 400 yrds threw the heart and lungs and he didnt even take a step.
    Those bullets also have a coating on them that keeps from you barrel getting fouled,and it also helps with accuracy.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have had the core lokt fragment and come apart on a few animals from hitting bone probably but I think it ended up being more devistating than the bullet holding together to be honest.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have shot the Win. Ballistic Silver tips for years without any problem. Have killed many deer with them and they have always done a good job for me. I have used the in 308 win 270 and and 25.06 they have always done what they were meant to do.

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Lots of good information, good luck on your 270 win, I would highly recommend hornady light mag loads with the 140 interbond, they are some kind of a killer!I have used them Horndys for about 20 years. Good stuff.:big_smile:

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used my .270 for everything from prairie dogs to moose, and never had a bit of trouble. I used only 130 grain bullets because they shoot so much flatter than the heavier bullets. Except for the moose, I found that Sierra boattails worked extremely well. Handloaded to just under 3000fps, I could sight in at 300 yards; that gave me 1.5" rise above line of sight, and 4" drop at 400 yards. I never had any trouble with premature bullet breakup, even on a bull elk. While I never tried the 90 grain hollow-points, I was told that they would break up when they hit a cardboard shoebox. Great for shooting small varmints, but no good for big game. I viewed the varmint hunting in the summer as practice shooting for hunting season, so I always used the same bullet and same load as I used for big game. When I went moose hunting, I broke down and loaded up some Nosler partition bullets. My hunting buddy had a 7mm Magnum, shooting factory loads. He shot the first moose and knocked it down; it got up and came out the opposite side of the patch of brush, so he wouldn't believe it was his moose; I had to shoot it to keep it from running off. We hit in almost exactly the same spot...his on the right side, and mine on the left side. Although I killed a larger moose later, I let him have the big one, and I kept the one we both shot. (He had a big family to feed.) When I got the dressed out moose back home and hung it up in the garage, I was able to see where each bullet had penetrated completely through the body cavity, and just barely into the far side of the body. There was less than 1/2" difference in penetration between his factory load 7mm bullet and my .270 handloaded Nosler partition bullet. So, I'd definitely have to recommend the 130 grain Sierra boattail, loaded a little hot, but still within specs.