27 December Fishing Trip

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by speciallibXO, Dec 26, 2006.

1. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Had to throw up a new thread since we will be heading out tomorrow morning. Looks like it should be a pleasant day, but there is a small craft advisory in the afternoon. So the day may be short, but hope it is productive.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nathan I hope you catch a boat load. Pay attention to those advisarys and stay safe.:big_smile:

3. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    What time you gonna be out. I may be in the area(just slightly above you). OK, I just read your other post. I should be out around 10 or so.

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hope you have a outstanding day Chief:big_smile:

5. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks Edward, I'll throw a fishing report up here as soon as we get back. We're really going to be keeping our eye on the wind and head to a couple of sheltered areas on the river.

6. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Hey Dan we'll be up around the bridge, and may even go under the bridge and check it out for a ways. Hope to see you out there.:smile2:

7. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Got our A$$ kick by the wind!!!

Put in at 930 and fished until 230 in the afternoon. A howling wind out of the west made it hard to set up - got blown off one spot despite two anchors and about 100 foot of line out. Managed 6 fish total - one 5 lbs, one 10 lbs, three between 20-25 lbs and the biggest at 38 lbs. All the fish came out of water less than 20 feet - no luck at all fishing deeper.

Nathan will have the pictures up soon.

We plan on hitting it again on Friday, hope to see some of ya out there.

8. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Here are the pictures as promised. Decent day of fishing, except like Tawn said the wind was a bear.

Attached Files:

9. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Here are the big fish for the day.

Attached Files:

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Looks like you guys are getting it down! I'll be up for my free trip soon.:smile2:

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Looks like the same fish I had in smoot bay guys. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Next time try up just a little more where the rock point comes out. On the upper side where it drops off into 20 to 25' I put 4 christmas tree out there last year and they are holding some nice ones as well.:0a26:

12. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We trolled around in Smoots for quite awhile and the wind was kind of dictating where we were going. We did motor around for awhile checking what the bathymetry looked like in different spots. We usually set up away from the point and ended up drifting towards. Pick up the anchor after about 30 minutes and then repeat the process all over again. Move out - drop two anchors over the bow - get the lines out - and then drift again. It worked out pretty well, would have been nice though without wind.

Looking over on the Maryland side of the Woodrow Wilson bridge, looks like there is a little channel that is about 10 - 15 feet. Have you tried that out? Also saw a couple of other holes we are going to try out around there. I have two Christmas trees (don't ask the wife insisted on two :smile2: ) Can I bring them out and chuck them in a couple of holes? Or is there some rules / laws about that?

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    nathan it looks like yall done well , as deserved if you fought the wind all day .

14. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Also had to throw in that took my Christmas present with me. Got some new clothes which worked out great. Kept the wind and water out. I got a set of Rapala pliers that worked awesome (unhooking the fish and other uses) the little nib on the end of the plier is fantastic for grabbing the hook and working it out of the fish. Here is a review of the pliers that I found on the internet. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewrapalarplr6.html I have the longer version which I think is nice for the big blues when they get it in their mouth a little deeper.

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Nathan i don't know about any law it may be. I did it last year so it would help hold smaller fish when I needed to catch eater fast on my trips. It has worked great for that but i have been seeing more and more bigger fish there in the last 3 months. If you find the trees the fish are there 4 all tied together in one big group. If you have GPS mark it is a great kicker for a bad tournament day.

16. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Hey Nathan or Tawn,
    Once again, congrats on how you guys are really nailing them this month! I was wondering what scale you're using to weigh the fish? The reason why I ask is that I use the Rapala 50lb, digital scale, which I verified it's calibrated by weighting different size olympic weights from 2 1/2 to 45lbs and it's always to within 3ozs. I did this after I caught my biggest ever, which is in my avatar that weigh in at 38lbs this summer. I really thought it was bigger than what it weighed in, but the scale don't lie. Just curious if you've ever checked on its accuracy? I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way with this. I'm just curious. Either way, you're catching some sweet fish and being super consistent at that! Hopefully you'll be able to keep it up through the year to log their seasonal patterns for even more success. Also, thanks for all of your reports and feedback. I hope to get out there soon.

Mike

17. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    To be perfectly honest, the scale we are using is some no-name-cheap-piece-o-crap spring scale we picked up at a bait shop down on the James River. Some times I think it is pretty close other times it seems off, some times the fish seem bigger than it reads and other times it seems like it reads heavy. Next time I'm at Bass Pro Shop I'm picking up a better quality one. I'm gonna do a little research before hand 'cause I want one that I can rely on come tournament time. We do weigh them in the dip net or on a lip grip so we don't have to punch a hole in their jaw. We deduct 2 lbs for that but then again I don't have much confidence in the accuracy. If your happy with your Rapala, let me know - that may be what I buy. Good luck, be safe and hope to see ya out there.
    - Tawn

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Good Luck out there today guys I have to meet with I hope a new sponsor:wink: or I would be out there with you as well. Look forward to see what to bay put out today:lol:

19. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the feedback. One thing I like about the Rapala is that is has what's called a "tear" function that allows you to "zero" the scale with the net or grips prior to weighing the fish. It also can store weights in memory, but I can't remember how many. I've even placed fishing weights down to 3oz and have been impressed with its accuracy. I believe what you said about your scale being over/under at times to be accurate. It probably has a few sweet spots where its more accurate than other weights. This being said, I can't recommend the scale I use for the sole reason that it only goes to 50lbs. Looks like you need a bigger scale! :wink:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=rapala+scale&noImage=0

Mike

20. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I could always let you borrow it, but of coarse I would have to come along to make sure it's in good hands. :wink: