25hp motor on a SeaArk 1860

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Frog Legs, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A Buddy of mine is thinking of getting a SeaArk 1860. There are a few lakes in our area with a 25hp. limit, so he was wondering if a 25 would bring it up on plane? Has anybody out there tried one? Thanks, Rusty

2. DJH1

DJH1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A 25hp would probably bring it up on plane, probably being the key word. But it would be seriously underpowered. I think if I had a 25hp limit, i'd stick to a 16-17'er or smaller.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I had a 25 HP Yamaha 4-stroke on a War-Eagle 17'7" 54" wide boat. and it would plane it off.But it was near enough motor and drank gas like crazy.
    pete

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    With the right prop and a jack plate sure it will But it is gonna take some fine tuning on the set up.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Lightly loaded, it will probably be satisfactory, but that boat is rated for 1350# of whatever, and with that load, I doubt it will make it onto a plane.

A very poor choice.

6. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    when I was picking up my boat ,they were rigging a brand new 20' river cat with a 10 hp suzuki, center counsol forward controles and even had a 60 mph tack on it.
    they sayed it was a very old man that lived on a 10 hp limit lake
    they also said that it would get up on plane............YEA RIGHT!!!!!!

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Id like to see that!:smile2:

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    dad had 16 lowe with 52 inch bottom with a 30 HP mariner would plan fine and run around 20 miles an hour with 2 guys , but not 4 people and a shad tank full of water.

i honestly think you will be just fine , unless you plan on getting 10 miles or more from the boat ramp never know what the wind or bad weather could come up.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have an 18 fiberglass foot bass boat that I hope to start as a catfish boat project. I'm going to gut it and rig it up catfish style. It is some wider, and 2 feet longer than my J 16 Carolina Skiff. I am hoping a 25 or 30 will push it. It doesn't seem like an excessively heavy boat, and will be lighter still with the console and controls removed... Do let me know how the 25 works out on the boat mentioned.
    Bill in SC

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It will but way under powered ! I have a 90 H.P. Merc. Tiller handle for sale 1999 great shape , runs perfect P.M. me for more info. if anyone is interested. P.S. It has power trim & tilt,stainless prop.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I guess if he is limited to a 25 on the lakes he fishes most, he will be pretty much relegated to the 25. If these lakes have these restrictions, power should not be a key issue. My main concern when planning such a project is FUEL CONSUMPTION. Under powering can be very inefficient. You must find a balance like Bubbakat said.
    BB in SC

12. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    The 25 hp motor may put it on plane with two people and minimal gear, but sea arks boats are heavy and I would go with at least a 40. I consider my 14ft riverboat underpowered and it has a 25hp on it.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Did your buddy ever get the boat and 25 hooked up? If it's a standard model 1860. I think a 2-stroke would be ok on it. And would like to hear how it worked out if it did?
    I posted below that I had the 25 4-stroke on the 1756 War-Eagle. Now with 2 people and fishing gear. It would run up river with the current around 24 MPH an down river with a 3 MPH current at 28 to 30 and that Was bu GPS. It did good on that boat as long as you did not load it up. But it also drank gas. It would burn more on the same trip, Then the 20ft war-eagle when I had the 85 HP motor on it. And when I put the new 140 Suzuki on the 20ft war eagle. It would go 24 miles on less gas then the 1754 would go on 4 gallons and 16 miles and burn over a gallon more doing it then the big motor also.
    Hope he worked it out. and you can post the results.
    Pete

14. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A 25 hp on an heavy SeaArk 1860 is gonna be a slug. Getting it up on plane wont be hard but it will drink fuel staying there. Your gonna need a jackplate, hydrofoil, and probably have to reprop it which will require a tach. This is going to add a few $ to the cost of this rig. You may want to think about a 16' boat if you are going to stick with a 25 hp motor.
    I've got a Lowe 1652 fully rigged, with deck and floors, and with a full livewell, 2 people, cooler, and gear, my Johnson 40 2 stroke with hydofoil will run 28 mph, with the livewell empty it will run 31 mph.

15. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso

I dont think he would need a jackplate,, he's net going to be runung any type of surfusing prop or cleaver that requier the blade tips to get air, jackplates are also used for getting the LU up and redusing the drag from the LU. and adding a little more leverage to lift the bow

I do gree on a small pitch prop,,,,8-9p is where I'd start off

16. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree. Also, a riveted jon is quite a bit lighter than a comparable welded jon.

17. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A jackplate will also set the outboard back (6" to 10", depending on manufacturer) which will change how the boat handles and planes as well as the speed at which it planes.

18. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My buddy ended up getting a 2 stroke 40 hp. Nissan. It seems to be enough motor for his needs, but it is still in the breakin period. Thanks for ALL the input guys! Frog Legs

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I know he will like it better with the 40 then he would have with the 25. If I could have bought the 15 degree hull with a Tiller motor. I would have maxed it out with a 75 or 90. But was going to have to buy a console boat and then strip it down.
    Pete