25HP Mercury so hard to start!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by 1 cattin dude, Nov 1, 2006.

1. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Bob, I have a 1999 Mercury 25 hp electric start that I bought used this spring. The dealer I bought it from said that the original power head locked up and he put a brand new power head on it. It came with a 90 day warranty (which is now expired). The dealer also (supposedly) put a "new" carbuerator on it as well. The motor runs fine but is really hard to start. It starts fine all day after it is started for the first time, but the next day is back to being hard to start. I don't know why a brand new motor would be so hard to start. Do you have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am not outboard expert by a long shot, but motors in general that are doing what yours are doing the first thing I would check is make shure the choke is working, and everything on the choke mechanism is hooked up.

Also the primer pump that shoots that little burst of fuel in when the choke is on should be working too.

Of course I could be WAAAAAYYYYYY off, so I would wait for one of the real experts! :big_smile:

3. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Ryan,

I've got a 2005 90hp mercury elpto (2 stroke). Even after pumping the bulb its cold natured on its first start. After it runs for 5 minutes its fine. Been that way since the day i bought it and it always gos ahead and fires so if i was a betting man i'd say its the way it is. Once she fires off she'll run like a striped ape....:waaaht:

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Cold engines like a good shot of fuel. Like KK just said, be sure your priming system is working well.

I've got an 87' 25 merc that busts off, first pull if primed well. It's rope start.

5. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Hey Guys, I appreciate all your words of wisdom! I'll check it out & see what I can find. Thanks!