25HP Mercury lower seal?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Lngbo, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I have a 25hp Mercury that appears to have a leak coming from the prop. Not a lot, but a little becomes alot. Is this something I can fix, or do I need to get to the dealer and does anyone know how much it costs to repair.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take the prop off and look and see if it is coming from the front seal.

You can do this one easy enough. If you will post your model number I can see if I have a layout of the lower unit.
    As for cost of the seal I have no idea but it is a pretty straight forward repair.

Tell me the color and the smell of the oil that is leaking out.

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Motor is a 2000 25el, oil is black looking and smells alittle burnt.

Boat and Moter were purchased new in 2000, used maybe three times then parked. I got boat last year and have had it in the water maybe 10 times. Just noticed the drop of oil under the prop this morning.

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It's probably just soot from the exhaust.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Sounds more like unburned fuel to me. Stick the tip of your finger in it and rub it to see if it gritty feeling. If it is it most likely undurned fuel mix.

Ck your lower unit for water intrusion and ck behind the prop and see if any fishing line is wrapped around the shaft. If all is okay then put some sea foam in the fuel mix and run her like you stole her.

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Ya done good on that one too, Bubba.

7. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Is not gritty, but will check like you said, seems to be mostly inside the open space of the prop. Thanks much guys.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep I do think it is unburned fuel.

Bob you gonna make my head swell.:) :)

9. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Hey, I had the same problem on a 25 Johnson. It was fuel. I de-carboned it as the instructions on a former post. Used the sea foam. Worked great. I still get a little drip, but not for long and it is clear fuel and not black. My thanks to you guys. It cost a 3 gal. gas tank and one can of sea foam. Runs like new.

Jim