25hp Johnson cooling question?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bigfish18, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    88 year, 25hp, johnson. I just installed a new impeller but my engine wont shoot any water. I remember it squirting out of a small rubber hose on the right hand side.

Do these engines have thermostats? I am scratching my head on this one, and the boat shops around here wont give me any advice.

Thanks
    Cody Forshee

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Cody did you have the O/B in the water or hooked to a waterhose?? Some times it's hard to make it pump water hooked to a hose.I have a 20 Merk that I have to duct tape the hose to outboard adapter to the outboard to make it pick enough water to pump so most times I put the O/B in a trash can full of water. If you had your O/B in the water are you sure you didn't put the impeller in backwards??

3. abne

abne New Member

State:
    Hesperia California
    YES! these engines have a thermostat. Make sure the pea hole line is clear. Does water come out of the engine from the upper exhaust hole. If using a set of ears on the lower unit does hot water come out of the exhaust pipe above the prop? I do not remember if the 88 has prop exhaust, if so hot water would come out of the middle of the prop with the exhaust. Don't burn up your engine they cost about $2,500.00 if you damage it:sad2:. Before all fails have a real outboard service center check the engine out:big_smile:.

I found this on the internet.

t.e electronics/marinejohnsonpartswarehouse

or

http://www.sterndrive.info/outboardmotor/id38.html

I hope this helps.

abne / bill nelson Need more help just ask:wink:

4. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Jim and Bill, thanks for your help.
    I have a hose connected to the engine. This engine has through the prop exhaust and two exhaust holes about a foot above that. I dont think I installed the impeller backwards. I put it on so the plastic key could not come out. I think some thing is clogged up.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would say you missed the pump with your pickup tube. As for installing an impeller back wards. If you did turn them wrong they will right themselves when started.
    There is a good article about this very thing in the library with pictures

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51111

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    As easy as it is to remove and reassemble the lower unit, I missed the water tube pickup three cotton picking times. It just don't work right without the pickup tube in the water pump. LOL.

7. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes, I had a lot of trouble getting the pick-up tube connected. My 25 hp is older but the water shoots out the holes in the back, a lot better with the new impeller. I put mine in a garbage can full of water to check it.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you have stored this boat outside those darn mudd dobbers love goin in the hole and sealing it off.:angry:

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Thanks Will I've had that problem before but didn't think to tell him about it.I got tired of the mud dobbers stopping up the tube on my outboard so I take a grease gun and gave the tube a shot of grease in the spring and it good for the whole summer.The water will push out the grease and the dobbers wont stop it up with the grease on it.