25 lbs. catfish on 17 lbs. line ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyron4, May 13, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Around here a 15 lbs. cat is pretty big. I use Berkley Trilene XL 17lbs. line and it works well for me. If I hook into a 20#-25# cat, will 17# line be able to land it if I take it easy and let fish tire out ? My set up is a 6'6" med-hvy Ugly Stik with a "new" Zebco 733 Hawg reel. My average cats runs 5-10lbs. and 17# Trilene casts and holds up well. Any input, stories, or advice ? -Thanks

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I think it would hold up fine to them as long as you didn't try to horse them in. Is there a lot of snags in the area you fish? If there are a lot of snags then you might need bigger line so you can stop them from getting you hung.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your line should be fine, just make sure your drag is set so it will give out linewhen a fish makes a powerfull run.

4. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I caught a 33 pound Blue in the tailrace of one of the Lock and Dams on the Red River a couple of weeks ago on 12lb Big Game. Took about 10 minutes to get him in so your line will be more than adequate.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    17 line should be fine as long as you have your drag set right.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have caught a few 25lb+ fish on my channel poles with 17lb line. your good to go.....

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My opinion is that it is not the pound test of the line, but how many knicks and cuts do you have in the line. You set the drag right and you should be able to land Moby Dick (er, if you have enough line on your reel and don't plan on doing anything else for the next couple of months). As stated, you can't horse the fish...but you can and should land them.

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    At one time in my life I use to use XL...although it casts great.... its not very abrasive resistant....do yourself a favor and use something like Big Game or some other abrasive resistant line for your leader...also keep checking your line for those knicks and scrapes as mentioned above....especially where your sinker slides on your line...it doesn't take much to weaken XL and I had more than my share of breakoffs using it on cats.:embarassed:

9. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the input. I use the XL because it seems the work better with a spincast reel. Does the Big Game work as well in something like the 733 ? Mainly concerned about kinks, spirals, and twists. -Thanks

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Hard to beat XL for that kind of reel....XL stands for extra limp...thereby reducing those coils..if your fishing open water you should be ok by using the abrasive resistant leader..setting your drag correctly and checking for those knicks and scraps....20lb XL worked best for me though on my baitcasters and held up better. I would look around and see if you can find a "low memory and abrasive resistant line" however, finding that will probably be hard to do...LOL...but new lines are coming out all the time.:confused2:

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If you hook a 65# plus Flathead in an area with snags you will WISH you had on 50# test.

If you lose that 65# fish, OUCH you will never use 17# again I bet!!!!!!

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Let your drag do some of the work, thats why it's on there. It should work fine.

13. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I am more of a light line type of fisherman. I generally use as light of a line as possible for wherever I am fishing.

The fish in my icon was 27 lbs and i caught and landed it on 12lb test Trilene XL. It took a LONG time to land that sucker, on the bank as well. learning how to use the drag system helps greatly.

I don't go after the hogs that a lot of the folks on here do, I like to eat fish A LOT! So i use lighter gear and hope for the best. I have 2 rigs with 10# test, one of them i have another reel with 14# test , and my 3rd pole i use 14# on it exclusively.

I do have a large rod/reel that has 40# test with a big old Penn reel, that i will probably use later this summer at night, but it's gathering dust mostly.

I like the lighter lines for the castability that they provide. i can cast a very long ways, with a relatively small jig or lure and fairly accurately. That's just the style of fishing that i have grown accustom too. Not better, just my style.
    The most important thing is too keep on top of the line condition, as others have pointed out. I regularly cut several yards of line off the end after a snag or fight with a good fish. I also re-spool my reels often. I have re-spooled my primary rig about 5 times since March, but i fish as often as i can get to a body of water and usually chuck lures or jigs. Fishing with the jigs off the bottom means i break off regular and get quite a bit of abrasion to the line from rocks/trees etc.

BLah, i've rambled on enough!

cyas
    rc

14. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    YES
    YES
    YES !
    I use 10, 14, and 20 lb test most of the time and catch large fish on them. I have caught fish on ultra light line and rods and reels that I was told could not catch the fish I have caught.

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Don't See Any Reason Why It Wouldn't Work. If You Are Comfortable With The Way The Line Your Using Casts Etc,Then Go For It

Remember, It's Not The Arrow,It's The Indian.Elliot

16. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i also use smaller line. 12 lbs line is on all but 2 poles which they have 20lbs. i had no problems with the 30lb flathead in my avatar, also he came out of a river that was very swift. it was 12lb line that landed him.

17. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN

Same here, man. I used to use ultralights almost exclusively, especially when i lived out in Oregon and Utah. Catching fish up to 8#'s on ultralight tackle with 4-6 lb test is a real kick in the pants. :big_smile:

I tried using my ultralight gear here in TN initially and it just wouldn't cut it in the cumberland river. It's great when you hang a crappie or white/yellow bass, but on occasion i would hang other fish that immediately broke me off...I HATE that! :beat_brick:

cyas
    rc

18. Boots28

Boots28 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    17lb will work just fine. Personally I would re-tie if I caught a 20# +. I always do And I use 25#.

It works for me.

Just a thought.

19. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i use 20 berkely big game and have pulled 60-70 lbers in no problems