25 lb on neuse

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by RooT_Fantastic, Apr 22, 2006.

1. RooT_Fantastic

RooT_Fantastic New Member

State:
    NC
    talked to tammee and pam this morning... they said jaync got one last night... 25 lbs.. i know he will post it, but i needed 1 more post to get my 10... so ... i ruined the surprise :)

2. Eviserator

Eviserator New Member

State:
    Lumberton N.C.
    Yea thats A good call Root...I need five more myself..good fishing my friend..

3. roncat3945

roncat3945 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, Jay seems to have a very good nack for catching the big cats. I really think we have found one of the largest litter boxes in the river. I fished sat nite for a bit and lost one of some reasonable size using live bream. I am beginning to lose faith in circle hooks though. I seem to have trouble with the fish letting go of the bait even after giving them plenty of line to run with. Oh well, These fish really seem to be hitting those live fish very well. I would have fished longer but my boat wouldnt go into forward gear so I had to go backward all the way to the dock. Thanks to Tammee and Dave I did leave early enough to miss the next band of strong rain that passed just shortly after getting home. Thanks Tammee, Pam, and Dave for being there to help assist me in my time of need.

4. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Glad to see you made it back to the ramp in one piece. Luckily the ramp isnt too far from the spot. I caught 6 fish that night, 5 flats and a blue, 7lb,12,25,35,42 and 16 lb blue, or 137lbs in about 4 1/2 hours not too bad, I just wish one of these times it was one over 40's, that is my biggest flat so far but hopefully catch one in the 50's or bigger soon. I hate circle hooks, if I were you I would switch to big gamakatsu octopus, I use 10/0 and 12/0 for big live breem and hook up almost every single time. I think that the times I dont hook up is because its a gar. Very good hooks, cant beat them for the price and catfish connection has the best prices I have seen for hooks.

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm on the other side of the circle debate. Something I noticed said that is a big no-no in circle hooks is letting the fish run. You need to have a bait that can be inhaled and fished on a tight line, with the drag set so that when the fish runs, the tension turns the hook and it hooks the fish itself. If at anytime during the initial run you "set" the hook, you'll pull the hook clean out of the fishes mouth because it won't turn the point into the corner of the fishes mouth. I missed a fish last weekend because I was using a different rig and tried to set the hook instead of just applying pressure and beginning the fight. Also, I missed on nice fish this year because I didn't check my drag, it was too loose. When fish ran, the hook stayed deep in the mouth untill it pulled free from the bait and shot out the fishes mouth. But other than times when it's my own darn fault, I've never missed a hookset on circles. And all I use are 6/0 Gamagatsu octopus circles which my biggest flathead, 48lbs, and fish down to 2lbs have all been caught on. I fish bluegills up the 6" and numerous sizes/shapes of cutbait.