25 hp tiller handle Tohatsu sticking in gear

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bill in SC, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Willard, or anyone who might know, the last two trips to the river, my 25hp Tohatsu has been occasionally sticking in forward gear. It has the little lever on the side of the motor for forward, neutral, and reverse. Lately, sometimes, it will hang up in forward, and I'll have a devil of a time getting it back in neutral. Then, it may go the rest of the day and that not happen. Of course, when it is in gear, the electric start won't work, and though it will crank with the pull cord in gear, I know it's dangerous to do so. Any ideas as to what is causing this dilemma? I want to fix it before I cause further damage, or get stranded on the river.
    Bill in SC

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    you might want to check the gear oil in the foot it can cause that on the old johnsons i use to have if not check for loose motor mounts or bent linkage running down the engine

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It could be just out of adjustment and when sliped into forward gear the gear shift itself could be putting it in a bind.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks, guys. I'll give both suggestions some attention, and go over it good.
    Bill in SC