25 hp mercury or nissan?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by beakus, Jan 3, 2009.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i'm getting ready to get a new tiller motor for my 16ft jon and i think i have narrowed it down to one of these two motors.i would like to here from people that have them to hear the pros and cons.

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    dont know i was always a johnson man now i have a nissan dont really like it .it might be ok it may just be a lil small for the heavy boat never quits though.mercury always good i here who knows

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    To the best of my understanding, Tohatsu makes the Merc and the Nissan, and all three are identical, except for the paint.

Things change, and I could be wrong, but it shouldn't be hard to compare them and confirm.

Are they fuel injected now? That's something I would look for.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    What Dave said. I had a dealer tell me the same.

5. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have a 25 horse tohatsu and that thing is bulletproof. Fished a catfish tournament one time and including the scouting, put 125 river miles on it in a 24 hour period. Didn't miss a beat. Had it about 8 years now and all I have done beside normal upkeep is get the carb rebuild.

6. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I think the only difference you'll find is that the Merc has the shift in the handle, which I don't care for.

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

I like this feature to an extent. Nice for putting out duck decoys and other stuff by yourself as you dont need two hands to control the motor.

I do believe like others have said, nissan, tohatsu and mercury are all 3 made by the same company.

I really like my 25hp tiller yamaha, but this thread is about nissan and mercury. :0a19:

8. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i could be swade to any one i guess,i just want a good reliable motor,from what i have checked out there all pretty close to the same money,but i want a 4cycle over 2.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    now you going in a whole nother thread keep it simple we aint to smart in here lol lmao i would like a 4 strock to just cant afford it if you can great :smile2::smile2:

10. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i have had a 25 hp merc 2005 4 stroke. it was great. no problems at all. traded it in on a big seaark. found a great deal on an old 1448 lowe. ran the old jonston for a year and upgraded to a 2009 20 hp 4 st tohatsu. it also has been flowless. tohatsu build all 30hp and smaller mercs. they build all nissian 140 hp and smaller. the tohatsu are the cheepest. mercs have a dealer anywhere and not near as many for the other two (but dont think you will need it) if it were me i would stick with the tohatsu.

11. rahughes

rahughes New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just bought the merc. 25 tillet 4 stroke last year. runs good not loud. I like shifting from the handle also the kill switch is at your thumb. Dont know about the nissan.

12. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have had a merc 25 hp 4 stroke for about a year and a half and the thing is amazing. Never fails to start, is quiet, runs smooth, and is really economical which helped a lot when gas was $4.

:cool2: