25 HP Mercury croaked

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by yotepeeler, Jun 17, 2007.

1. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I ran it Friday night and all was well until pulling up to the dock to take out . It started running rough at first on idle then died . Figuring it was out of gas as had just run about 20 miles on the river and had stated multiple times loaded it on the trailer the hard way .

Before heading out put on the fresh tank of gas and tried it at home as have been down that road of not too many times before . It never even tried to start ( pull rope version ) I made a trip to town and bought new plugs as my new ones in my tackle box didn't seem to help . After putting those in still no go . Checked spark and it looked weak to me and after a couple pulls on the rope the bottom plug looked wet .

I had replaced the switch box several years before and being the packrat I am saved it . After it sitting with the plugs out for a couple hours it fired once then samething drown plug . Checked fire and found good spark on one cylinder . This was why had bought a new switch box about 15 years ago .

So here I sit with a motor that doesn't run and blisters on my fingers from that pull rope . I am thinking the switch box again but throwing $130 parts at it in a hope and a prayer isn't a good idea for me . Does anyone know how to check out a switch box to make sure that is what it is ? I do have a multimeter .

I was told this was a 81 the serial number is 8008381 Any help is welcome as the wife is as bad as me about wanting to be on the river and anyone knows when Mama ain't happy ain't no one happy .

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pete I have those tests some wheree in my amazing fileing system and will locate them and post it for you.

3. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great my clymer manual doesn't have it and the dealer here either doesn't have that info or doesn't want to share it . I thank you much guy .

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Is this a 2 stroke motor? Did you fill it up with ethanol by mistake? I'm no mechanic but had this to happen to a 70 hp. Dried the cyl walls up and locked it up. Station owner said the bulk company must have filled his tanks with ethanol. My Loss.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Bad news Pete. I went back and checked my notes on those switch boxes and there is no test for the as they have several components in them that have to be tested individually
    Sorry my friend.

6. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Bubbakat guess is my luck LOL . I am wondering about the stator now as it has wierd readings . One wire to ground is right on the money . The other to ground acts like a capacitor is charging even after switch leads on multimeter . It also does that when try both leads . Not sure how it does that as it is a coil and the schematic doesn't show a capacitor inline with it after is disconnected from the system as the test calls for . What be your take on that ?

Yes Mickey she is a 2 stroke but am always careful of that . I don't believe she was froze up on me as still has good compression and when turn slow don't feel any scraping . Just doesn't have enough fire to light her off .

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My big shop repair manuel that the techs use says if your stator fails any test then it needs to be replaced. Look up under that fly wheel and see if you can see any of the stator coating where it has been dripping.
    I can look up the specification on the ohm readings if you need me to.
    Sometimes those clymer manuels can be very vague.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    From what I can find on that motors age from the number it is either a 1983 or a 1985. The ones that was made in 81 and 82 had a different serial number.

The compononts under the hood will be the same though.

9. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    From what have been reading and testing it seems to all point toward the stator . Am told usually if the switch box goes bad it drops one cylinder . That is what happened several years back and I replaced the switch box . Now both cylinders fire but are weak .

The Clymer manual gave specific ohm readings in it and it failed 2 out of 3 so at any rate it sounds like it does need replaced . Not cheaper from what I am finding on search for that part then the switch box either dang it .

10. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had wrong number for my motor . It is 6008381 had to break down and put my glasses on and get a flashlight out as well LOL .

11. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well to continue my saga of the croaked motor . I am now trying to pull the flywheel off and am thiniking it is going to strip out my threads . I have pulled a lot of flywheels and dampners off but this one is really set on . I am wondering even though the book says not to if some heat would really hurt anything under it as the stator is already a goner . I have tried tapping it some and a little light prying with a roller head pry bar . I did notice there is some free play in the thrust washers on it . I don't have a dial indicator so don't know for sure but am guessing less then .010 .

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Spray you a little PB blaster down on top of the crank and let it set for a little while. Make sure you have the right size bolts to go in those holes and from the sound of it I am sure you already have. Apply some pressure and stand back and rap the outer part of the wheel (not the ring gear) and walk around and do it on the other side also. Tighten it up some and repeat the process. Stand back from it or leave the nut on top of the crank because I have seen those things fly off and will hurt if hit by it.:tounge_out:

As for heat the only thing I can think of would be the top seal that sets on top of the block around the crank.
    Is that flywheel alum. Or steel. If its steel rap it pretty hard.

13. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Got that puppy off finally . When it finally turnned loose I thought she had split it was so loud LOL . It didn't fly but had to of been close . I was using a 1/2 ratchet and a 18 in cresent to hold the puller from turnning .

Got a stator on order but doubt will be here before Monday . Just as well cause we got 6 in of rain last night and all the creeks are feeding the Mississippi bigtime . I meantime will take off the coils and all to clean the grounds and make sure all have good contact .

Thanks for all your help Bubbakat .

Drifter

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good idea on cleaning those grounds and wouldn't hurt to polish that crank taper some either. When you go back with it make sure the key is in the slot good and it should ease right down on the key way.
    Torque it back at 105 ft pounds. If you don't it will try to shear that key and then it will be out of time.

I would check the timing advance rod for good movement while I was in there and look in the manuel and see if there is any place that is suppose to have a spot of lube.

Glad to help

15. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dang a new stator didn't make a nickles worth a differance . Still weak looking spark on it and no fire up . i tried it without the kill switch hooked up too . Starting to look like I am destined to sit on the bank to fish for awhile yet .

I ain't smart enough togive up though so will go back thru it again .

Pete

16. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Got her running finally . Switch box was a crappie . Bought one off Ebay new for $81 plus shipping from max motor sports .

Pete

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Thanks For the follow up pete. Its a shame that they make a part that you can't test but rather have to resort to elemenating all others and leaving the broke one. As in your case one wrong reading and you are out a stator and had to have a switch box.
    I like mercs but they can be a bugger sometimes.