25 hp Johnson oil leak

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jsharper, Jan 14, 2006.

1. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have a 2001 Johnson 25. It is leaking a small amount of oil around the prop when I leave it in the run position, engine down, overnight. Is this something that I can fix myself? If so where are parts available?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If that has the thru hub exhaust it is most likely unburned fuel.
    Post the color of the oil on the floor or ground witch ever the case.
    If it is a prop seal then you can DIY with a good OEM manuel if you have any doubts then take it to a tech.
    Parts would be available at any good dealer or tech shop.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If it's coal black oil, Bubba's probably right.

If it's more clear than it could be the prop shaft seal.

If you haven't changed the oil recently, do it. Pull the prop and check for fishing line. If you find none, than your seal's probably ok.

When you change the oil, watch for water to come out first. Don't run the engine before you change it or it'll mix the water and oil if there's any water in it.

If you decide it's unburned gas washing the exhaust out, making it look like an oil leak, you may need a tune-up and a decarboning.

Check Bubba's post on that.

4. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    The first time I noticed the leak was after I changedthe lower unit oil a few weeks ago. Fairly black out of the exhaust. I will pull the prop. I need to grease it anyway. How do I decarbon? Tune up, just new plugs? It does seem to smoke a little too long after starting and smokes some ever when used everyday. Where do I go to find the posts on fixing this? It starts great and runs good.
    Thanks for the help, the people on this forum are great,
    Jim

5. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Sorry, I hadn't read far enough into the posts, I printed the one by BubbaKat on de-carbon an engine. If i do that and change plugs, what else do I need to do? Can I do the de-carbon thing with earmuffs at the house, or do I need to be in the lake?

Jim

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Try to do it in a barrel. You can put it in at the house, but it's better to get the engine up to operating temp, and that's near impossible on the muffs. Not good to run the engine up without back pressure/ being submerged.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If the oil is black then it should be unburned fuel.

If you don't want to put it in the water do as bob suggest or take it to a ramp and leave the boat on the trailer and back it into the water far enough to submerge the lower unit. Then do your decarb. Be sure to strap the boat down good on the trailer you wouldn't want it to try to jump off the trailer.
    When I do it this way I usually run it up to about half throttle in gear.

Never run the rpm's up when on muffs. You can have a run away motor on your hands.

8. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I will take it to the lake to de-carbon. I'll change plugs and see if these two things make a difference. I am fairly new to boating and the help on this forum is great. I could take it to the shop, but I am one of these guys that likes to know how to do it or at least what they are talking about.

Thank you,
    Jim Harper