25 horse tohatsu seized up?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Cuda-Cada, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    I was on the river last week running back to the landing when my motor shut down. I tried to start it back up but only heard it clicking. I thought the battery might be low so I turned the key on and went back to pull start it. I tried to pull it but it wouldn't budge. First thought was it seized up. I am going to take it somewhere but probably won't be for a little while. Just wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas that I can check myself.
    The motor is a 1985 model. I bought it about 8 years ago. Not sure how the previous owner treated it but I have taken good care of it. Always put enough oil in the gas, water "pees" out good, and just got the carb rebuilt last year. Thank you.

-Bob

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Was it in neutral?

Hey, just asking:wink:

3. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    try to turn the flywheel with yer hands,
    remove the plugs and look arround the inside the cyl walls for scoring

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Check the lower unit. I had a 25 mercury do the same thing. It was the lower unit.
    Check the lower unit grease. And if its the lower unit that means lots less to get back on the water.
    pete

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'll agree with all the above mentioned. My '85, 25hp Tohatsu did something similar last year, and it turned out to be the lower unit was running dry. The motor was fine otherwise. We fixed it and it's running strong again now.

Bill in SC

6. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Yes, it was in neutral. :smile2:
    I pulled the plugs and looked at the walls. They looked good. It wouldn't turn with just the flywheel though.
    Not sure how to see it the lower unit is bad. I guess you would have to remove it but I better wait for someone that knows what they are doing.
    That might be it though. I probably haven't greased it as much as I should be.
    Thanks for the advice...

-Bob

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Theres 2 plugs in the lower unit that allows you to check the lower unit oil and fill it. If you take the bottom one out and water runs out or nothing. But the magnet is covered with metal. You have just found out where the issue is.
    Pete

8. Cuda-Cada

Cuda-Cada Member

State:
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Well, pulled the bottom plug and not much came out. Motor was tilted up. A little metal on the bolt, thats it. When I put the motor down, mostly water and a greyish, dirty oil came out. Like you said, looks like I found my problem. Get the shop to look at the lower unit when I take it in. Thanks...