2472 Big Daddy

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by skydiver41, Jul 30, 2007.

1. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not to sound fickle but after further research and advice from highly experienced friends I have decided that I need to go with the Sea Ark 2472 Big Daddy with a 225. You only live once, right? I grew up racing go-karts so I'm a huge fan of 2-strokes but I understand that 4-strokes are all the rage now. So, I need help deciding between the 225 Optimax 2-stroke or the Suzuki or Yamaha 225 4-stroke. All opinions welcome. At my local dealer they claim that the Suzuki is currently outrunning all other 225s on the river and is $525.00 cheaper than the Optimax, as well as being quieter and better on gas. What say you, fellow BOCERS...do you agree or disagree?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Go with the Suzuki. You won't be sorry.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    BTW - do you happen to know the overall package length (trailer and motor included)? Trying to figure out whether a 24 ft boat will fit in my driveway or not...

4. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's one thing that I didn't measure when I was at the dealer. Next time I go I'll bring the tape with me. Based on what the 2072 VPLD measured the Big Daddy has to be every bit of 30 feet from prop to hitch. Let's ask Cuz...he's got one.

While we're at it Cuz...I know your Big Daddy has a Yamaha...have you run it against any Suzukis or Optimaxes or been on any others Big Daddys with either of these engines? How did they compare?

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I wasn't on Cuz's boat, but I did see it Friday night and that thing is a beast! I couldn't begin to tell you how smooth it looked to be running through the river especially when the storm hit and he took off like a bullet to the boat dock. If you can afford it I'd say definatly go for the Big Daddy.

6. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know there is guy in St. Joseph that just bought one. He got one with 225 optimax. I think he said he got it for 28900. There were a few things I would have changed like different fishfinder, added one up front, and a trolling motor. Probably another 2000 in options. I haven't seen or run against anyone with a Suzuki motor. One thing with them is they are fan of catfish tournaments and offer incentives for winning some catfish tournaments. I have a Yamaha 115 4 stroke and just love it. It would be tough for me to decide right now between a 2 or 4 stroke but I would probably lean towards the 4 stroke. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy! They are a nice boat!

7. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    i have had 2 115hp yahamas and now own a 150 hp yahama i put the first two through the ringer and have had no problems all three have been on 20ft sea arks the last one is a bay master my buddy has also been through 3 diffrent sea arks with yahamas but his last one is the daddy with the 225 yahama i just love that boat if you want out of the hole quick go with the 2 stroke if you want power go with the 4 stroke just my opinion

8. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I have a SeaArk RiverCat and would absolutely love to upgrade to the BigDaddy! I have a Yamaha motor on my boat and haven't had any problems with it. I think my next boat will be a 4 stroke, I've heard they get better gas mileage and I know are much more quiet. Either way, you'll love that Big Daddy

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Bill If you ever sell your boat let me know. I'd defenetely be interested in it.
    I've been in Cuz's Big Daddy several times and his 225 four stoke Yamaha runs great. If it was me I'd buy a Mercury or Yamaha. I've had both and I love them both. I would own no other brand of motor.

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Slider,

I think we saw your buddy Saturday night at the Louisiana Ramp.

Camo Big Daddy, 225, two white coolers attached to bow deck etc.

I have a nice SeaArk but you still slobber all over them suckers!:dribble:

There are folks that would slobber over my boat so I'll just be happy and go fishing!

11. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Darryl, where did you get that roll bar looking rod holder bar? That's cool!:smile2:

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I had a buddy of mine fabricate it. He builds race cars, the HIGH DOLLAR stuff for the big name boys.

It is constructed of 1 5/8" chrome-moly steel, tig welded and powder coated. It is pretty awesome so far.

I started to do a write-up here but a sneak preview didn't really generate any interest.

Expensive to do but it is COOL!

13. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I come from a drag racing background myself and thought I recognized it as something that looked like it came from a race car. Great idea!

14. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Skydiver,
    Have you priced out a Big Daddy yet? I visited the closest dealer to me over the weekend and he is new to Sea Ark and only had one river cat in stock. He tried to sell it to me but I think I am sold on a Dig Daddy. He could not price me a Big Daddy until later this week and his only 225 HP options are the Merc and Suzuki. I have my mind set on the Yamaha so I am still looking for another dealer.
    I have found a few from other dealers in the $29,500 range but I was just wandering what others are pricing them at.

Thanks in advance,
    David

15. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Big Dav,

I have gotten prices from 4 dealers here in Missouri. Here's what I was quoted:

Big Daddy 2472 with Camo paint job, side console model with dual consoles, tandem trailer with brakes, 225hp Suzuki with stainless steel prop and hydralic assist steering...low of $31,400.00 and high of $32,367.00. Be sure you get the hydralic steering with the 225, I have been told that they make way too much torque to steer comfortably with cables. The camo paint job is around $500.00, the trailer brakes are $400.00 and the hydralics are $900.00.

Recently I was able to spend 2 days fishing in a Big Daddy with John "Cuz" Allen on the Mississippi. We saw some pretty rough water the first day (2 to 3 foot swells), which ever boat you decide on, get the 15 degree hull, the modified 3 degree hull (basically flat) will beat you to death in any kind of rough water. John has a Yamaha on his boat. It was powerful, quiet and fast. That being said, John has admitted that in his tournament travels he has arrived at the conclusion that the Suzuki is the superior engine and would buy one if he were to do it all over again. That was all the endorsment that I needed to hear. Let me know how yours works out. I won't be able to order mine until next spring/summer.

16. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the information. I would love to see pics of his boat rigged out.

I found a couple of pretty good prices on left over 2006 with a 225 Suzuki or choice of a Honda 150 or 225. Both have the hydraulic steering and the front step. The dealer with the Honda motors also has an aluminum trailer. I can get the 150 Honda for $25,500 or either of the 225 motors for $27,000.

My local dealer just called and tried to price me an 08 with a 140 Suzuki and I asked him if he would get me his best price with a 225 Suzuki with the hydraulic steering. He was at $25,700 for an 08 with the 140 Suzuki and no hydraulic steering and a steel trailer. His price is also for an 08 not a left over 06.

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions on the Suzuki vs the Honda?
    I have always owned Evenrude / Johnson or Mercury and know nothing about four stroke motors for boats.

I have to sell our deck boat and then I will be able to purchase. That is unless the wife changes my mind.:big_smile:

Thanks again,
    David

17. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I like the looks of the big daddy, but think I would rather have the Big Easy. I just seems to be more family friendly.

19. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Big Easy is one fine looking boat...I agree. In fact, it's too pretty for what I'm going to do with mine. I am going to be getting mine slimy, bloody and muddy not just catfishing but turkey and deer hunting as well. I could not trash such a pretty boat.

20. bullet

bullet New Member

State:
    alabama
    has anyone ever priced the big easy, that is an awesome looking boat