.243 Compact?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by bw69r, Aug 18, 2009.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    saw a rifle in an advertisement for cabelas chambered for this caliber. have not been keeping up on new rounds so what does this round have over the .243 winchester if anything. is it like a short mag?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a new one on me,Brian. I was thinking "compact rifle" never heard of any "compact" round. I'll do a little research and see what I come up with.

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Was it a Ruger? Everything I see on a google search refers to a "compact" rifle by Ruger, but it shoots the .243 Win round, as well as other calibers.

However, I did see that Ruger has developed new calibers, the .338 Ruger Compact Magnum (RCM) and the .300 RCM, which look to be similar to the WSM calibers. Maybe they are in development for a .243 RCM round similar to the .243 WSSM?

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Same here ,Tom,Ruger compact and Remington compact rifles is all I can come up with.

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    If it is the same flier I got, it is a Remington 700 ADL for $459

The flier reads 243 Win Compact, which would be their shorter barrel & length of pull rifle chambered in the 243 Win caliber.

It caught my eye too, I had to look twice to see what they meant. The 243 does well from a shorter barrel, I have a custom 243 with a 20" barrel and I can get 75gr V-max bullets to shoot accurately at 3450fps, or 95gr Bergers to hit 3000fps and still hold 1/2". Should be a great little gun, just be very careful with shot placement and use premium bullets on anything bigger than a coyote.

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I love my son's encore in .243 win. Shoots consistant 1/2 groups out of a used 24 inch blue barrel I picked up for $175. I only wish Norma Partition bullets didn't cost so much. They do work on a Virginia Whitetail though.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A friend of mine has one I believe. It's like a 3/4 size rifle in .243 by Remington. He's a little guy so it fits him just right.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    that was one of them and the other was a marlin rifle. seeing both there made me think it was a new round.