24' Pontoon (1st Post)

Discussion in 'Boating' started by FireWater, Apr 9, 2007.

1. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hello all,

This is my first post so a little about myself. I live in Cen. Texas one hour from a major lake in all directions loaded with cats. The past month I have been building what I think is the best all around catfish boat. It is a 24' pontoon that I removed everything from and started over. Went back with new wood on up. I have taken photos of my project from the start and when I get my 10 post under my belt I will show them to you. I do have a question. I would like to build a nice live well on the boat my question is how big?? I would like it to be able to hold fish for five buds that will be fishing with me. Some have said to just put the fish on ice but that is not what I am looking to do. What do you think would be nice to also have on the boat. Any help will be great. Thanks

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm redoing a 24 footer also. Every single of piece of it is taken apart including part of the trailer.

There wont be a livewell on mine for a couple of reasons.
    When I fish, I fish. I may stay out 12-18 hours. When I get home I aint cleaning fish.
    I'm putting a nice fish/bait station on mine. We'll clean them inbetween bites.

The second reason I wont have a livewell is that water weighs 8 pounds a gallon. So 20 gallons of water is 160 pounds. 20 gallons aint much water for a livewell but its still equal to another person in weight.
    I would rather sacrifice the weight to a 20 gallon baitwell.

If you intend to keep fish to eat, you dont have a need for a livewell.
    A cooler of ice is all you need or a fish cleaning station and some ziplock bags.

3. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    I see what you are talking about 200 Ibs is a lot... What type of bait tanks are you building? Spec. please.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC, always great to have another new member.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'd have more money tied up trying to build a good bait tank that I could have gone and bought top of the line. I'm buying.

6. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Having fished with a few pontooners this past season, i had the opportunity to check out a Varity of configurations!

You might check out some commercial live/BAIT WELLS to install on your outfit....it should be round and in the 100+ quart range...I used a 92 Qt cooler and did--ok-- but had to keep on top of the water changes or bait would die off quickly.

The livewells--that weren't factory...were centered mid boat and forward--leveling the boat for shallow water ops....a couple had 33 gal plastic trash cans they added valves and pumps to, to circulate and drain the water!

Check your regs!...But cleaning, bag, and putting the fillets on ice is the Best! and returning the gut & bones overboard is GOOD for the Eco system and other hungry critters!...Anyway, the cleaning station is a good idea--as is a washdown pump.

7. Snake Charmer

Snake Charmer New Member

State:
    Ca/Nv/Az
    Would be nice to edit posts!! :confused2: :roll_eyes: here's part of the group! :big_smile:

Attached Files:

8. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks,

In Texas you can not clean fish on the boat ;-( but that is the law.. So by having a live well was what I was think would be best. But I think I will just put the whole fish on ice and clean them on land. This will help with the weight. I would like to have a nice bait tank on the boat with out going to take a loan out to do so.

FireWater

9. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ebay has a guy with a store called Tank Depot... I'm buying a 35gal tank for my baitwell. It will be enclosed in an aluminum frame and side panels when its done. They have different sized and most are made of one solid piece of rotomolded plastic. Not glued or fused together like others. Cheap even with delivery cost. Getting mine with shipping for about 100 bucks.

10. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the info. will look..

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Livewell for a pontoon??

I would seriously consider getting a 55 galon plastic barel. Drill holes that are about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch in diamerter all over the barel. Then attatch flotation of some kind to the top of it. This you could lower into the water when you get to where you are going to fish, and use it just like a fishbasket. Drop yer fish in and let them swim in the barrel until time to head out. Then, pull the barrel back on board, all the water drains out of it, and you just have the added weight of the fish.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tony, I got one of them barrels floating around in the waterhole.
    Its been floating around 5 years because, well have you ever tried to pluck one of these things out of the water?:big_smile:

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes I have, and when you have enough holes, it ain't hard at all. Just takes a nice steady lift. My wifes grandpa used one as his livewell for his dock. Actually, he had 2, 1 for cats, 1 for scaled fish

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There isnt a need to keep a fish alive that you are going to dress.
    That was the point. A cooler and ice would weigh less and a heckuva lot more simple.
    A livewell in a boat is designed for a few fish. Throw 5 or 6 in that livewell, they wont live long anyway so whats the point?
    The point is livewells are just that. One such example where their use makes perfectly good sense is the fishing tournament.

15. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think I will go with the ice do to weight...

16. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    The tanks on ebay are nice and the price is right....

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a23: :0a25: :0a25: Reese welcome to the BOC. I look forward to seeing the pics on your pontoon project. Good Luck.:big_smile:

18. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC man.

19. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Reece! I can't wait to see the boat pics either.

20. anlogk8

anlogk8 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I just bought a 24' pontoon that I am rebuilding from the ground up. I would love to hear any ideas that other people have found for rigging up their boat.