.22s

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by kat in the hat, Oct 12, 2007.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OK. I bought a Remington 522 Viper back in the early nineties. It's a cheap rifle. The first one was faulty, but returned it, and got another, and it has been an accurate, dependable gun. Killed lots of things with it. I bought it because I favored the sighting system over other comparably priced rifles. It's all polymer except for the bolt, and barrell. The iron sights are the same as the ones on a model 700. Overkill for a .22, but I love the sights. The clips are cheaply made, and have had a few go bad. Probably due to keeping several clips loaded, compressing the spring. I don't do that any more, and have had no problems. Beings it's plastic, it has to be cleaned often, but that's not a problem.

Anyways, just for giggles a couple of weeks ago, I decided to test it at 100 yards, and was suprised that I shot 3" groups with open sights, with only a couple of fly offs. I liked CCI Stinger ammo, and mini mags, but found that cheap ol' federal ammo performed better in this gun as far as loading, and accuracy.

So, I got me a 3-9x40 scope to try out on it to see if it will improve my accuracy at 100 yards, or not. It has a weaver scope rail, so I should be able to remove, and replace the scope without changing the zero, or eye relief. I plan to pit it against my buddies .17 HMR. I know the .17 has a longer range, but am not convinced about the accuracy past 100 yards., and practicality for the cost of ammo. Best I could do with the .17 at 100 yards was a 1" group with a 3-9x40 scope.

So, does anybody else have one of these rifles (522)? Do you like it? I think it's cosidered inferior, and was only in production for 5 years. Virtually no accessories were made for it, aside from some 15 round clips which are no longer available as far as I know. Cheap or not, I like mine. I'm better with it than I am a 10/22, or that tube fed marlin auto. Maybe it's just me.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we used those vipers in northern utah to thin out the jackrabbits. they were accurate dependable rifles as far as i can remember, i just didn't like the forend.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Matt if it makes you happy it's not inferior. But I have always thought the 22 never gets the respect it deserves in the shooting sports. What yer missing is not having a collection of em. I'm thinking of starting to lay in some 22 rifles I remember from the old days and the prices are reasonable for rimfire rifles past and present.
    I remember an article from one of the major gun magazines years ago made all their writers answer the question of "you can only have one gun". Turns out even the fastest big bore sixgunner had ta come back; 22 rifle.
    Hope ya don't mind an ol fart rambling on yer thread.

:big_smile:

4. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Ramble on Boots! Not only is it allowed, but appreciated!!

I wish I had a collection of .22s. I do have another one, but it in the abbyss of being repaired. Even worse, by a family member!:angry:I haven't seen hide nor hair from that rifle for 2 years now. It's an old bolt action Marlin. I've had it for 20 years, and it was probably that old when I got it from a garage sale. It is stamped by some car dealership. Gift for buying a car? Gift to employees? I don't know. I LOVE that gun, and that's the only reason I am willing to wait, and pay for the repairs.

There was this tiny brass tab above the breach that guides the shell into place. That tab broke off, and without it, the bolt won't cycle. Can't even use it as a single shot. IF I ever see that gun again, I'll put the scope on that one, and use the iron sights on the auto. I think I'm gonna make a phone call, and see what's up with it.

I did mount my scope tonite, and bought a brick of shells. I bought cheap mounts though. One of them doesn't tighten up good. I'm gonna try it out. If they don't work, I'll return them.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    22s are a blast I have several,Matt a marlin mod25,original Winchester low wall 1885, Stevens crackshot mod72[new model].and a ton of wards and sears models plus mt Ruger single six with the 9 " bbl .

6. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Well, the preleminary results are in... Went to the range Tuesday, and dialed my scope in. It was a very windy day, so I gotta go back when the wind settles down a bit.

I think I have so much practice with that rifle with open sights, that the scope seems to be a hindrance. I dialed in at 25 yards at first. Shot good 1/2" groups. Moved up to 50 yards, dialed it in, and shot 1" groups easily. The issue was that on the 100 yard range, my group went from about 3" to about 6" or more. Just no good pattern emerging at all. Before, with open sights, I was shooting good groups, and thought the scope would clean it up even more. Not the case Tuesday. I don't plan on shooting at a live target from that distance anyway, but it seems curious that the scope actually hurt my accuracy at long range. Possibly, it was the wind, and I wonder how the .17 performs at 100 yards with 20+ mph gusts of wind.

Also noticed why CCI Stingers don't feed well in my gun. The casing is longer than a standard LR. Never paid any attention before. Just figured hotter ammo would be more accurate. I was shooting Stingers when shooting 100 yards with open sights, and shot good groups, but having dificulty with ammo not feeding well. Wondering to self...do Mini-Mags have the long casing as well, and if there's any high velocity ammo with the standard casing???

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Matt,If you put a stinger and a reg. LR side by side the cases are different,however ,If you look at the slight shoulder on the bullet of the LR ,you'll notice that it is close to the one in the stinger,they were designed to be compatible in any 22lr gun,maybe its just a cleaning issue or something,my Jennings 22 auto pistol does the same thing,but all my bolt guns function great with either type of ammo.Hope this helped a bit.

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Matt it's not the casing in the stinger, it's the higher pressure it's loaded to.
    Operates the bolt at a higher velocity/speed that's causing the problem. Ya got a lighter bullet at a higher loading....beating the gun. Check the manual for it an see if it's rated for hypervelocity ammo.
    Most of the small frame pistols like the jennings, or the Taurus PT22, Berretta, etc say not ta use it if your lucky enough to have the manual.
    Also the parralex on a 22 scope is set for 50 yards. You are really reaching out there at 100 with a 22. If you can shoot a cookie at 50 yards, be a happy camper. That's what it made for.
    Interestly several 22 bolt action units I've seen shoot the hypervelocity stuff more accurate.
    Glad yer having fun.
    :big_smile:

9. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Well, the stinger ammo is kinda strange. If I load the clip with all 10 rounds, the first one always feeds wrong, and jams sideways. After the first round is gone, it feeds the rest fine, or if I only load 9 in the clip, it works fine. It's just enough to be annoying. I've thought it was the clip itself, but I shot a couple hundred rounds of cheap Federal ammo without any hangups at all. Yes, 100 yards is a stretch for a .22, especially with standard ammo. On a still day, with high velocity ammo, I think I can make a good group. Did it with open sights, why not with a scope? Eh, it is all in good fun. Boots, an Oreo at 50 yards is dead meat lmao.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Early Winchester 67 with the chrome,October 1949 dated single shot Remington 510P target with peep sight,Remington 572,Daisy 2202,Ruger SS10/22 Carbine with grey laminated stock,First run Ruger SS 10/22 Carbine target with brown laminated stock,match chamber & target barrel,Chipmunk with walnut stock & peep sight,Marlin 15YN,881 with Walnut stock,39AS with Walnut stock,First run 880SQ which has the Marlin 2000L Target rifle barrel with match chamber,Interarms JW-15 bolt action & 62SA replica of the Winchester pump take down 22.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've never gotten satisfactory accuracy with Stingers in anything...the slower stuff always does better (all .22 target ammo is sub-sonic).

Here's another fun game: sight in at 100 yards, and once you start getting decent groups, staple a paper plate to the target and shoot offhand. Fun, but humbling.:embarassed:

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I always seem to have jamming problems with the higher velocity with the stingers or mini mags. I only use the CCI SGB rounds now, can't remember last time I had a jam and they shoot accurate. I have a Marlin model 60 and an older Marlin 39a lever action.

mike

13. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Well, Sunday me, and some friends rounded up a bunch of old pumpkins, green tomatoes, and laundry soap jugs, and set up a firing range. We set up at 30 yards. Had an assortment of .22s, a .17, a .223, and a .44 mag. Had a blast "killing" all that produce. Anyways, I can kill a cherry tomato repeatedly at 30 yards with my .22. I can live with that. The pumpkins...we split up into teams, and the object was to see which team could saw their pumpkin in half with the fewest shots. My team had my scoped .22, and my buddie's .17. Another team had the .223, and a .22. The third team had 2 .22s. Team #2 won with 15 rounds fired. 13 from a .22, and 2 from the .223 lol. We took 38 shots. And team #3...we stopped counting, but it was alot. All in a day's fun. The .44 did a number on a pumpkin.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I hate to be the one to tell you this,BUT! Green tomatoes should be sliced,cornmealed and FRIED,not shot.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I know. I agree totally. They were very small. Didn't know if they were edible or not, but a few were spared for the frying pan just incase. Made a more challenging target than a big ol' punkin...and paper doesn't explode, so it was funner than shooting at targets. Next time, maybe I'll be blasting squirrel heads.:big_smile: