22lr or 22mag

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by chillywater, Jul 25, 2007.

1. chillywater

chillywater New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have a rugaer singal six that i was going to start hunting squirels with this year. the pistol came with interchangabel cylinders, i was wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge on which load:tounge_out: is better for squirel hunting 22lr adn 22mag.

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    First of all WELCOME to the BOC.

the 22lr is what i use, the 22mag is a lot more expensive for squirrels and you will go through a lot of shells squirrel hunting with a pistol, i know from experience. But it is a lot of fun.

Good luck hunting

3. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    ethan couldnt be more right. I use a ruger mark III in .22LR to hunt squirrels, and you will use a lot of ammo. Plus if you are shooting up in the air a .22lr has a shooter "safety" range, but knowing your backstop is still critical. For squirrel all the extra power from the magnum isnt needed even through a handgun. good luck

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use 22 cb shorts and longs. They are loaded so they shoot at sub sonic speeds. When you shoot up in the air, they are almost silent, no noise to spook the squirrels. I shot five cutting hickory nuts years ago out of one tree.

5. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    .22 Magnum would be overkill, to say the least. It'd be fun, though. ;) Those CB Short are great because they're rather quiet...and have all the necessary firepower with which to dispense Mr. Squirrel...unless you're shooting at 100yds, which I doubt...especially w/a pistol. :smile2:

6. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    they are right lr great for you needs

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I used a 22 short only Browning to hunt squirrels for years. I killed my share. There is really no need for overkill. Saves your money.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I wore out two of the old Rugers by averaging over a Brick a week of 22 LR through them.I know that I shot over 300,000 rounds through them in less than 12 years.There were never any mature pecans or pine cones in my trees.Living where I could shoot off the porches was a big help.I wish that I could afford to shoot like that now.If you start young,you can learn to shoot way beyond your imagination.I use to rent from and shoot some with a Mr. Warren Holliday of Egypt Georgia who once worked with the 101 Wild West Show,last of the big traveling wild west shows complete with Buffaloes,Cowboys,shootest and Indian Actors.The tales he could tell about that life!Shooting every day until your firearm becomes a part of you is the secret. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Around my area,the 22LR is the cheapest.The last 22 shorts that I bought were from Wal-Mart and they were 1 1/2 times the cost of the 22LR.All claimed that they quit carrying BB caps and shorts as there was no market for them.Some would special order for you in bulk,but they were way higher than the standard LRHV.If I ordered,the shipping put me right back in the high cost thing.Be glad that you can buy them cheaper where you are.I just went to Daisy,Crosman,Chinese & Gamo pellet rifles and bought the .177 & .22 pellets cheap by the thousands at the flea market,luckily before my health disappeared.Cocking the guns is my big challenge now. I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    .22 LR will be fine, .22 mag is a little overkill as stated before. and its alot cheaper.

11. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I use 22 Lr as well. thompson center 22 classic with a Simmons 4x12 AO scope. This year i`m going to start handgunning with a ruger mark 1 mounted with the tactical solutions pac lite barrel 8.5 inch I still haven`t decided on the holo sight or a pistol scope yet. I find hunting squirrel or Tree rats as i like to call them much more rewarding with a 22. early in the season when the foliage is heavy i may opt for the good ole 12 gauge until the leaves start dropping and the lil buggers start cutting nuts. Man only 2 more days til squirrel season opener here in Illinois. Good luck to you all this Season.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i'd say the remington subsonics if noise is an issue, and i use the remington golden bullets for everything else. if your single six will shoot the shorts, they will do the job fine. when comparing the mag and the lr, think about the price... a brick of good hollowpoints is around 10 bucks, and a box of 50 mags is 7-10 bucks. where i am at anyway, the mag is more suited to badgers, foxes, coons and coyotes than squirrels.
    good luck with whatever you go with.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    What all the other guys said....Also I think if a fella could only have one pistol, you got it already. Lil tip, the 22mag is a jacketed bullet, at the end of your shooting, put a cylinder of em thru it & it will clean the bore of the piece. The 22lr is a heel seated bullet, lubed on the outside. Lil dirty really. If you hold the round in your hand, you'll notice that almost always you can grasp the casing with one hand and the bullet with the other hand and actually turn the bullet in the casing. You can't do that with the mag. So if you're carrying the piece in the truck for "just in case", use the magnum. If you're using 22lr, replace the rounds every few weeks. I know we carry them in our pockets, tabacco pouches etc, but they are more prone to failure just because they don't seal as well. In the ladies small pocket pistols, I swap them out monthly. The magnum, you don't have to worry. It has a good crimp.

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Never used a pistol, but I have hunted squirrels with a 22 LR rifle. I would go with the LR. The mag is overkill and will make a mess of the squirrel and destroy a fair amount of meat. Heck, a pellet gun works just fine.

15. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    .22 mag? You'd be loaded for bear :wink:...

-Red

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Actually check out what you are using.When killing Coon,Fox,Bobcat,Beaver when hunting,along with Hogs and Cattle when butchering I often recovered my .22 bullets to check performance.The lead standard velocity solid mushroomed better than most standard copper coated hollow points or copper coated solid bullets in all velocities,whether pistol,rifle,magnum or rifle.I found the cheaper bullets just expanded better most of the time.The copper coated hollow point and regular acted like solids.Now either will kill a 500 lb.sausage hog or a 1000 lb.steer on butchering day.Most sure did not meet my expectations.The same went for many center fires whether hand or factory loads.Is it a velocity thing? I don;t know.I just know you might want to check.If you find something that works great in your gun,buy up a pile if you can afford it.Manufactures do change things at times.I have found this to be so from .177 pellets up to 44 bullets and finished ammo.Another tip.If you have old lead bullets that have "Oxidized" (look grey) a black powder patch lube will re lube them.Oxidized and un lubed lead will more readily foul a barrel.Some things you can only learn from time and experience and this was one of them.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

17. skydiver41

skydiver41 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The .22 Mag is a great round. With a 50 yard zero, the 22lr drops 6 inches at 100 yards, whereas the 22 Mag only drops 1.5 inches. The problem with the 22 Mag (at least in a rifle) is that if you use hollow points, they expand violently and really tear up the heads...as in there's not enough to grab onto to skin them. I had to switch over to CCI Full Metal Jacket bullets so they wouldn't blow apart the heads. In a pistol, the short barrel may cut down the velocity enough that the bullets wouldn't tear them up too bad.

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm a big fan of the 22 mag, as I would rather have a nice 22 mag versus a 17but for tree rats I like using a 22 lr w/ CCI Stingers or CC Mini Mags.

19. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Myself I like the 22 short.

20. flatbottom

flatbottom New Member

State:
    Lamar, Arkansas
    IMHO they are too expensive, too loud and too powerful for squirrels. I'd go with 22LRs.