.22LR and .17Mach2

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by south_va_fisherman, Apr 13, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    my buddy alex says he can shoot a .17mach 2 bullet from his .22 becuase they are the same cartridges just different bullets. I told him he would probably split the barrel, bounce around like hell in the barrel, or something. but he claims all that happens is poor accuracy.now im curious. i dont want to try it and ruin my gun or get hurt, but what do you think would happen, whos right?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Loss of accuracy ,is right theres no way to even have accuracy shooting a .17 bullet through a .22 bore.as for hurting the barrel I'm in doubt that it would. However its VERY POSSIBLE that the rupturing shell case,caused by improper chamber dimensions can result in gas excaping into your face or eyes.

3. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Many years ago I saw a case come out from a 30-06 chamber, if memory serves me right it was a .308. Blowed it out to the 06 chamber size.

Having a load of hot gas back in a persons face due to a case rupture is very dangerous.

I had a 38 Super Auto rupture, blew apart the grips in my hand.

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its not safe to shoot any ammo in a gun that the gun is not chambered for. Some work fine .357/.38. And some people fire form brass thru a rifle but unless you know exactly what your doing stay with the recommended cartridge.

5. LuniticFringeInc

LuniticFringeInc New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im with everyone else on this. Poor accuracy in a best case situation, mabe a damaged barrel in the end if gases from a ruptured case doesnt put a hurtin on you sooner.

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Brother, I would not chance it personally. Also, I wonder why anyone would even want to do it. What would be the purpose?:0a28:

st