.223rifle tasco vs bsa

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by ko1featherweigh, Aug 24, 2007.

1. ko1featherweigh

ko1featherweigh New Member

State:
    newark,cal
    I'm looking for a scope for my savage .223 it is mostly going to be used for target and a little varmint hunting. i am looking at the BSA platinum 6-24x44, possibly the BSA sweet .223 6-18x40, then there is the tacso target/varmint 6-24x40

i want to know you guys opinion or your guys experience with these brands. I'm trying to spend less then 200$ but if it is really worth it i may spend a little more. what do you guys think?

2. JEFFRO67

JEFFRO67 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Check out midway usa they have a sale on barska scopes right now. simmons makes some decent scopes too.

3. ko1featherweigh

State:
    newark,cal
    how are barska scopes?i looked into simmons but wasnt sure. how would you compare simmons and barska to tasco(i only have a tasco and a old bushnell)

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a Tasco 6x24 on my .223 and its a gnat killer. fantastic scope, not the platinum ,but a target/varmint refurbished model. cost 89.00 i would'nt take nothin for it, its that good

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    oops its a 6-20x50 ,didnt see that till too late to edit, and I get 3 shot groups from the bench that you can cover with a dime also.

6. ko1featherweigh

State:
    newark,cal
    the target/varmint by tasco was the one i was leaning towards
    here are the ones i was looking at
    the tacso target/varmint
    http://www.swfa.com/pc-5607-742-tasco-6-24x42-target-varmint-riflescope.aspx

then heres the bsa platinum( it also comes with 2 sun shades and a bsa boresighter)
    http://www.swfa.com/pc-5544-214-bsa-6-24x44-platinum-target-riflescope.aspx
    what do you guys think those:0a36:those are the ones i am looking at both seem pritty good for a good price

(sorry if im not sapose to post other web sites)

7. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    Is that 223 a good gun for coyotes? and how does it stack up to a 17 hmr/just bought one for coyotes. Ned Colt. lawrence

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have had nothing but bad luck with my tasco's, bushnells, simmons, and other $100 or less scopes. My tascos never lost their zero, but they would fog and lose their nitrogen after a year. All the others would just loose zero or zero would change after a month of being a truck gun.
    I started going to pawn shops and buying a leaupold. If i dont have the money to buy one new. I have never had one lose its zero, and had only one fog outta the 15 or so i've had. That was one from pawn shop, i sent it in to leaupold and they sent me a Brand New one

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Tasco makes a a high end scope or used to.
    I own one in 6-24x44.
    I'll just say you get exactly what you pay for.
    This "high end" Tasco still aint nowhere even remotely close to what you'll find if you save your money and get something like a Nikon, Leupold etc.

There is alot more to these high objective scopes then Tasco is willing to put in it. I cant say it any plainer then that.
    If you dont mind travelling out here , I'll let you get behind one and see what I'm talking about.

For a Tasco in a 3-9, I dont have a problem with but those high ranging objectives they are putting out have no quality.

The main problems are drastic eye relief changes in the power scale.
    Poor clarity.
    I'm shooting at 2 liter drink bottles at a measured 400 yards with this scope and hitting 9 out of 10 with factory ammo. Thats why I hate to get rid of the piece of the crap because I have it so dialed in.
    Its a 6-24 power, I'm shooting it on no more then 16 power because of the clarity issue. I can change the focus and adjust the parallax and it doesnt do squat. Eye relief totally sucks. Either you are hanging onto the tail end of the stock or camping out on top of the dang thing trying to get a sight picture.

I'll give 5 thumbs down for someone that seriously shoots and expects to get all out of the scope that scope claims to have.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    In your pricerange, DO NOT BUY the tasco or bsa. Look up Swift scopes online & get one of their Swift Premier scopes. They are absolutely fanatstic scopes for the money. You can get a really good swift scope for under $200.

I've got 3 Leupold scopes & 2 Swift scopes, and the 2 brands are very close in quality. I'm not blowing your skirt up, either. I'm a firm believer in buying the best optics you can afford. I carry Pentax binos & use the best scopes I can afford to use, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Swift scope, ever.

11. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Ned, The 223 is a better all around cal for coyotes and with reloading it is much cheaper to shoot.
    I agree, in scopes you get what you pay for and I don't have as much luck with scopes over 12 to 16 power. They are usually not very clear at the higher powers unless you really spend a lot of money. I have had great luck with the Bushnell 4x12 scopes that I have bought but they are the better ones they sell.
    Bill

12. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    The only tasco scope I've ever had any luck with is the Worldclass line. For the money they are pretty good scopes.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I got it.Everyone that shot it got it that "could shoot to" what the rifle and scope could do.

Rifle::Kleinguenther K-15 Cal.300 Wby. Ser.# 898704.German Double Set Triggers.Regular trigger pull 2 lbs. Set trigger pull 2 ounces.

Gunsmith::Robert Armin Kleinguenther,Seguin Texas.

Guarantee::3 shots in 1/2 inch and 5 under 1 inch at 100 yards with the following formula.Gun was tested and fired for this accuracy before shipping.

Formula::bullet 180 grain sfb Sierra. brass::Wby. primer::Fed. 212. powder::64.4 grains of IMR 4064.

Scope::Swarovski 3x12x56mm w 30mm steel tube.Ser.# 303072.

This gun is now "vaulted" off in a safe place as I can not now shoot it with out physical damage to me.It has Mr.Kleinguenther's KDF recoil arrester on the muzzle and feels like a 30-30 to me and most when firing.It is much gentler than a un muzzled 300 Wby.It has a hard rubber butt plate on my custom plain straight stock.The length of pull is one inch shorter than my measurement.This lets it fit with heavy clothing.With the slip on butt pad it fits perfect in a T-shirt.

Yea!I love this gun.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. ko1featherweigh

State:
    newark,cal
    ya i skipped the cheaper scopes i got a Nikon Buckmaster and its working wonders