Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by sds888, Jun 9, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I ordered the book you recommened today the Hal Sullivan fur handeling. I went ahead and got the video too because sometimes I learn better by seeing it than reading it. I might have to try putting up some furs this year. Thanks again.
    Stephen

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good, I think (well, I'm sure of it) you'll find alot of great information in them. Trapping & furhandling videos usually re-sell pretty well, so if you watch it a couple time & decide you no longer need it, you can always sell it & recoup some of your money.

If you'd ever have alittle extra money to "burn", there's another called "After the Catch", by Matt Jones that's good as well, it also has alittle traping info in it, as well as a few laughs. I does however move-along kind of quickly....and that was my only reason for mentioning Hals book to you. They are both excelent forms of learning material.

Also, just as alittle "warning", there are a few expenses to put-up your own fur. Skinning knives, fleshing knife, stretchers (I use wood for everything but 'rats. There is an ongoing controversy which is best. Best thing for you to do is try a few of each, and ask a local fuybuyer which he prefers, then decide on your own, not by what I or anyone else says), furhangers, skinning apron, surgical gloves for skinning/fleshing (USE THEM!)....you could add more, just depends on how well set-up you want to be.

Smitty

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    I understand you always have to buy supplies nothing is cheap lol. I do it for the love of it not the money. Thanks again
    Stephen

4. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol....then you're goin' into it with the correct attitude! :wink:

You're more than welcome!
    Smitty

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    I got the dvd and the book today the dvd was great but the book was even better. I suggest everyone get both because the dvd you could actual see what he was talking about. However the book had more material in it. Great suggestion thank you. Moderators if you read this I think 223 needs one of those awards things.
    Stephen