223 for Hogs

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by KATMANDO, Feb 20, 2006.

1. KATMANDO

KATMANDO New Member

im going to texas next month on a hog hunt. i will be takeing a 12ga with slugs for my trophy hog and get 5 meat with this hunt. the guide said they are from 80lb to 150lb. i dont want to tear them up with slugs. would a 223 shooting 55gr fmj and keeping my shots to within 50yards and head shots do the job i have killed alot of chucks and yotes with it just nothing bigger.

2. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Make sure FMJ are legal in Texas, and make SURE you can put in right behind there ears. If those to requirements are met, then the answer is yes. Do you have any other guns? The .223 isn't the best choice, by a long shot, but it can do the job. It just doesn't leave room for any error, at all. If you're gonna make head shots, why not use your 12gauge for those too? That's sure to drop 'em and leave several inches for error.

3. KATMANDO

KATMANDO New Member

i will haft to look into the fmj thing. im going to be shoot 23/4 slugs dont know about good penatration on a head shot with the soft lead slug. thanks for your input.

4. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    You might want to check with the guide folks. They may have restrictions on what they will let you carry.

Mike

5. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Im pretty sure that you could get good penetration in the head. If you hit em behind the ears there definatly wont be ne problems. As far as the 223 at fifty yards i would think you shouldnt have ne problems makin a good shot. But like cyclops said i would check with the guides.

6. KATMANDO

KATMANDO New Member

he said he has had hunters use all kinds of weapons from 22s to spears and knifes. i dont think im ready for a knife hunt. we can spot and stalk,hunt feeders with guide or unguided,or with dogs. i am hopeing to get one little porker for the spit.:cross: i got on texas web sight there was nothin about fmg ammo going to make a phone call just too be sure.

7. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i use my 12 guage for head shots om our hogs down here and it drops them in there tracks......

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If in fact you can use the 223 then get you some Ballistic tips for this shot.

You can drop one with a heart shot or lung shot at fifty yards with these.
    Horneday puts out a real goo ballistic tip for hunting.

The only thing we can hunt with a 223 here in Tenn is coyotes

9. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    I've been "tree'd," so personally .223 is a little on the light side and FMJ is a NO, NO, regardless if it's legal or NOT.. FMJ was designed to be ""HUMANE" in combat situations, not a necessity in hunting. That thing about short range and head shots IS the exciting part, can you do it?? Hogs are fast, tough and you most likely will have a little "buck fever." Opt for something that will give you a little more distance and always be prepared for that hog you DIDN'T SEE. Now that I've rambled about NOT useing a light round, we hunt hogs with compund bows and graphite arrows, does that make any sense? We always have somone carrying a .308/165 gr. 760 Rem. pump, all hogs aren't the same...Good Luck, have a safe trip.

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I guide hunts occasionally at a family owned private reserve ranch. I will not allow a hunter to come out and shoot at a pig with a weapon so small. Go bigger, and make a head shot if you want to save money and are going for meat alone. My preference is a .44 rem mag- they turn the brain cavity into a sun room no matter the distance.

On my hunts at the ranch if I was presented with this situation, Id loan you a gun of mine or tell ya to go home or sit by the fire till your pals were done hunting. No joke. I take it that serious.

There is a lot of fat and a lot of bone to cut through. Moreover if you dont get a good shot the first time youre gonna be running em for hours. Ive seen lifelong Safari Club folks do a bad shot- it happens when the fever strikes and it happens to anyone.
    Your talkin about an animal that is redy and willing to kill you if you screw up. My grandfather took 28 staples in his leg, another farmhand got 11 staples across the crown of his head.... this is no light matter.

Do it right bro and be safe out there. In over 70 guided pig hunts neither myself or my clients were harmed. Please do heed my warning.

sal

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would only advise a 223 if you can shoot the bottom out of a shot glass at 100 yards in 40mph winds off a moving truck. I have seen .357s bounce at nearly point blank range. FMJ's are good at going through, but remember its a military round, and as such not designed for clean kills. A dead soldger is left or barried, but a wounded takes 2-3 people to carry him out.

In addition, I have never seen a yote or chuck with 6" teeth that is hell bent on exacting some revenge before dying.

Buy some good sneakers and remember you dont have to outrun the hog, just who ever your hunting with.

12. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    I've never actually hunted for hogs, but unless bubbakat has taken hogs before with it I'd avoid the ballistic tip bullets. Coyotes are thin light-skinned creatures...hogs are not from my understanding. The BT bullets indeed do a fabulous job on varmints where maximum expansion is desired, but on hogs they may prove to just "blow-up" right under the skin. Sounds like a great way to piss a hog off. (I've shamefully used a BT [the varmint variety] in a 22-250 on deer at 50 yards and watched it jerk...then gallop off into the sunset) From my understanding federal makes an offering with 60gr partitions (front half will expand, back half won't come apart...best of both worlds) and a 55gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Either of those bullets would give you as much penetration as possible from the cartridge and give expansion.

Still like the idea of getting a tad closer and thumping them in the head with 12gauge...you're way over gunned and so the slug breaking up, even if it does, isn't a problem. They make severeal copper or jacket slugs if you're really worried about that.

Hey, good luck!!!!and tell how things turn out when its said and done.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would never hunt hogs with anything less then a 243. I have killed hogs at 75 yards with a 223 ballistic tip in the 85 grain but they were hand loads and the hogs were standing still.
    When I hunt hogs I use my 270 or my 7mm with a ballistic tip and have always had good clean kills. I can put my round in the kill zone in just about any situation but I have been trained a lot more then the normal every day person.

14. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Sal, what do you think of a 30/06 rifle? Mountain Cur mentioned a 308 rifle which is a larger caliber? I am very intrested in hog hunting here in California.

Jaime

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    30-06, 308, 300 win mag.... they all do a fantastic job. the other stuff will eventually kill em or kill em if you get the right shot... but when 250 lbs of angry bacon is coming at you frothing and sharpening his tusks, are you gonna get fancy and more accurate or you gonna crap your pants and find a tree? Exactly my point. he hee

I'd be comfortable with the 30.06

and sorry I didnt get to ya faster... I just dont do any net stuff outside of work. I am a purist.... lol.... or a "non-nerd".... or what you would call "tech-tarted". lol

sal

16. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Janzaldo, the 308 and 30-06 (and the 300 magnums) all shoot the same bullets. Only difference is the case. BTW don't ever let anyone tell you the 30-06 can do something the 308 can't. They're practically ballistic twins and are so close that 2" barrel difference can make up for the difference.

17. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for your feedback Sal and triggerhappy, it makes it alot easier to pick a rifle.
    What I have read, people do not give them enough respect as a dangerous and elusive animal

Jaime

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    No kidding.. The biggesdt issue is the lack of predictability- One will go down like a ton of bricks after clinching up and rolling into a ball... another when you see what looks like the same shot, will take off for a quarter mile squealing to let the world know... and yet others will turn right to the shooter and charge. Its that crazy unpredictable nature that makes em seem possessed!

LOL