220gto ???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kscathunter, Jun 2, 2009.

1. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    anyone have any trouble getting their gto lined up right when they took it apart. it seems like thats whats wrong with mine i put a new worm and paw in one of mine because their cheep china crap broke now i cant get the frame in line i thought i had it today it was working good then the spool started dragging again i pressed on the sideplate with my forarm while reeling and it was all smooth again some times it will even jam up:angry: id like to jam it up somewhere and tell peen to give me a real reel like the usa made 320GT2. maybe there is enough of us on here displeased that we all could address penn and get some compensation ive read alot of us have replaced the worm shortly after purchase :angry: but any way is there a trick or something im missing ?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A 220 gto was the last Penn reel I ever used..I had a problem like yours.

I gave up, and trashed it..I hope you get it fixed.

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Buy the old penn 109-309 or go with the GTI series, I have a friend that pulls in monster cats with the GTO series in heavy current with no problem! Between the ABU's and Penn getting made in china these days your safer bet would be with a Penn.....your going to have to deal with a one in a million problem or design your own reel.... that's what it's coming down to these days:sad2:....good luck

GO PENN!!! I fish for trophy flathead and have a dozen Penn reels and have never had a problem with one. Personally I don't own a GTO but have seen them in action vs monster fish and never has a problem occured, Call Penn directly and they will do you right! Trust me... Hear in the states they will make sure you get a reel that your great grandchildren will use.:wink:

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i have a old 209 that i got from a super flee dont really care for the feel or the low gears plus its a pain to take apart. i also have a 320ld thats NICE its built like the gtis if i were to drop coin on another penn it would probally be from that line up prob 320gt2. the gtos are nice and capable of catching some big fish my avatar fish was cought on my good one, its just the quality controll is way way laquing.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    lol you know what, there a tuff reel while they last, i had mine 2 years its my best and there cheap, i dont even bother taking it apart, i got my first one and the worm was bad, but i got it back and he gave me another, i love mine, but dont expect 5 years out of them, there tuff but the line giudes and worms are junk,, my opinion is i love em, until it fails me in to more years,i like the cheaper end of the line, i put my reels throgh hell, so i prefer a cheap but decent tuff reel, my most fish came from that reel, they are no worse than an abue c3,

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they r ok till the cheep parts start breaking. "no worse than an abu" bull i havent had neer this trouble with an abu. i finnaly got tired of messing with it and just put some muscle to it and perswayed the frame a little it still doesnt look gaped right but it seems to be working good for now.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I had good luck with an older 320 GT i had.Thakfully,I haven,t tried none of the chinese stuff yet.I,ve always fished with levelwinds,but when going through the catalogs over the winter,I think my next heavy cat reel is gonna be a non-levelwind.When I,m looking through the saltwater catalogs,it seems like all the reels that have the features I want-line capacity,gearing,water and corrosion resistance,machined bodies, are all non-levs.Next reel I buy I,m gonna try that way and see how it works.I,ve been using casting reels for 40 years,I don,t think it,s gonna be that much of a change.:big_smile:

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the gti's are a one pc frame far more solid. non levelwind reels are fine as long as you rember cause when it is all bunched up on one side cause you forgot its not great. if your out far enough and forget it can stop the reel from turning, then you have to get the mess back out before you make a long cast cause it will reduse castability at the least if not stop it sending something coming back at you. less of a problem if your trolling in a boat were you can just release line as you go. its hard to rember to levelwind when the reels been doing it for you for so long, try taking the worm line guide and paw out of one of your reels and see what you think.