.22 with serious power

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by scooter079, Sep 8, 2008.

1. scooter079

scooter079 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I just bought a remington 597 .22cal. so i was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of ammo has the most punch and velocity

2. Rayin Virginia

Rayin Virginia New Member

State:
    virginia
    I like the cci stingers myself.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    CCI Maxi Mags, and other, similar, hyper-velocity rounds are the hot ticket.

Now the bad news: most of that stuff isn't terribly accurate, and in some guns, is all over the place.

Edit: Ray is right...I should have said Stingers.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    CCI Stingers,CCI MINI MAGS,RemingtomYELLOW JACKETS,And I believe Federal has a HYPER velocity round as well. Good luck with the new rifle.,Keep us posted on how it shoots as well. We are here to help and learn all we can.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Are ya paper punching or hunting? I have found out that with most .22's ya need to try different ammo to see what your gun likes. First cycle a few hundred round through it and give it a good cleaning before trying different brands. Hope this helps.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    My little ol marlin love's the cci stinger's and remington yellow jacket's ... but it shot's best with the cci in it:wink:

7. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    my 10 22 likes the cci stingers.. you will like the 597 great gun i have one in 17 hmr.. i love it...awsome for them pesky 'ole coons:wink:

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    All good choices to try. I've found cci products don't leave as much crud in my gun when cleaning. I just saw a 597 in the sunday sports ads with thumbhole lam. stock and a carbon dipped bull barrel looks like a squirrel slaying/tack driving machine.

Richard

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    CCI STINGER 1640 FPS 32 GRAIN

CCI MINI MAG HP 1260 FPS 36 GRAIN

The old bolt action I have is a real good one, and like both. I dont have a semi auto in .22 but would recommend punching some paper and see what it likes.

Those Stingers are real hammers when they hit!

I would like to see the Vmax and compair it to the a Stinger.

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've got a 597, and CCI Mini Mags seem to shoot best out of my gun. Just remember with this gun, when you clean it, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE GUIDE ROD RETAINING SCREWS. Many people have had problems with these guns, most problems were attributed to 2 things. #1 when they first came out the magazines caused many problems. The new ones work great. #2 overtightening of the screws that hold the guide rods in. If i remember correctly, they only need like 5 or 10 inch pounds, and after that the guide rods bow out ever so slightly and cause cycling problems. Rack the slide a few times and if it binds or dont feel smooth, and the gun is clean, loosen the screws. Okay, my little rant is over. Love my 597 by the way, very accurate with the right ammo.

11. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Stingers for paper, Velociters for hunting, both were accurate in my remington.

12. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    x2 on the velocitors

13. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Aguila interceptors. i also have 597 and mine shoots that round great. they claim 1470 with a 40 grain bullet, but when i shot them over the chrony they came in closer to 1400 if i remember correctly. still thats pretty good for a 40 grain bullet. cci velociters are great to, and slightly more accurate than the interceptors, but cost more

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=index&indexId=cat20839&hasJS=true&hasJS=true

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Those high velocity rounds are pretty neat, flatter shooting, etc, but they may not shoot as accurate as a slower round. Like Ozzy said, try different types and brands to see what shoots best. Ammo is a lot like fishing lures; made to catch the user and satisfy their egos. You can still catch plenty of fish on the old tried and true lures, and you can still take plenty of game with the old ammo; just depends on what a guy wants to use...:wink:

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The .22lr is just like any other caliber. If you want speed, you have to give something else up. The stingers are probably the best combination of speed and penetration, but they won't work in all 22 autoloaders. They've got a longer case than the standard 22. On the others, if you want the speed, you have to give up bullet weight. If you want penetration, then you're going to have to give up speed and go with the heavier bullet, but it has more momentum to carry it farther than the faster lighter weight bullet. The lighter bullets start off faster, but the velocity falls off faster than the heavier ones, so it's also going to depend on the distance you plan to shoot. The guys were correct though on the ones to try if you're wanting speed.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Tommy is right. I shot on a small bore team for a few years and they always shoot standard velocity rounds. Standard rounds travel just under the speed of sound. Hyper velocity rounds go a little over the speed of sound and become a little less stable. I think you'll find the best accuracy with the standards if that is what you want.

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

......ditto...........

18. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I like the CCI Mini Mag, and also the Remington Golden Bullet, plated round nose. Just standard high velocity.
    I also noticed a difference on performance when I "polished" the guide rods for mine with some steel wool. They were rough to the touch. I don't know if it was some preservative they put on there or what, but when I smoothed em up, it really started laying em in there.
    I also don't think much of Rem oil. It's just too light. Tis good for nooks and cranny's, but for smooth surface I like something a lil heavier.
    :wink:

19. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I had a 597 7 yrs ago when they were first brought out after reading a article with Dale Earnhardt Sr.He refused a company sent gun and went and just grabbed 1 from the ones ready to ship and raved about it.I was sold.

That said I never once had a misfire or jam and I know in just 1 weekend I shot over 500 rounds of CCI Mini Mags thru it.With the mini-mags I could darn near shoot thru the same holes at 80 yards or so and would kill squirrels as far as I would care to shoot.

Regretfully I sold the gun just after 9-11 because my shop shutdown a few days after and I needed money badly.

20. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have a rem 552 auto and it shoots the thunderbolts real well but i dont know if they still make them or not i bought several bricks of the years ago and still using them