.22 shotshells

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by south_va_fisherman, Aug 10, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Does anyone hunt with .22 shotshells? I know you would have to be real close. game such as squrriels from say 15 yards?

2. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    15 yards is a long shot for those things. they crack off loud.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    And you have to be close for them.

4. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I use "rat" shot in my pistol for snakes. At 3 steps It patterns about 12" circle. Deadly on snakes but I cannot recommend for hunting.

If you want a challenge, get a good air rifle. Or better yet, a blow gun. It is a blast to hunt cicadas with a blow gun.

When I was 13, my dad gave me several boxes of .22 shot shells and told me to kill all the pests around the house. I shot everything in sight. Which included sparrows sitting on te window sill. Never broke a window.

So I say they would be very marginal for any kind of hunting.

Robert

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I wouldn't use them. They aren't lethal at any sort of range.

6. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Charles;
    As a Master Gunsmith, I have to agree with the others about the .22 shot shells! 15 feet is more like it and that stretching it. As a class math project I worked with them for several days, CCI, Rem, and other brands.
    I used barrel lengths from 6.5 inches to an old single shot 27 inch barrel. The longer barrel was marginally better, but still, ...:sad2:
    Now, for a "snake load" I carry my small .45ACP with the CCI shot load which functions the slide in the .45 has much more #12 shot but that high pitched "crack" is still hard on the ears, at least it is to mine!
    If you want a real challenge hunting squirrels, hunt them with a .22 pistol with a scope or match open sites while the leaves are still on the trees!:smile2: It's NOT as easy as one might think, even with a scoped Ruger MKII and a small 2.5x7 variable pistol scope! But you will enjoy each bagged squirrel much more too!:smile2: Or, you could do like a cousin of mine, he uses a Thompson Contender with a .410 shotgun barrel on it! He claims that is a pretty good challenge when it comes to the Grey's in the trees before the leaves start falling! :smile2:
    Instead of using that small .22 shot shells on snakes why not just carry a 6' walking staff with you in the woods. That 6' range will work much better than those .22 shot shells because they are only good for mice at about 10 to 15 feet unless they have made some really tremendous improvements in the past few years!
    One last thing I must note. Most reptiles, especially snakes, will given half a chance prefer to "go the other way" when it comes to humans. Unless you step real close to one, or step near a guarded nest, it has been my experience that even the Diamond Back Rattle Snake, the Eastern Diamondback [which is usually the as*hole of the snake attitudes, will leave given the chance. They know your too large to eat and they prefer to use their venom on eating sized prey!
    Unless your having trouble with them getting into your home or they are staying out in the yard where your children run a risk, I usually leave them alone, even when I see them. Most times, they have already scented you in one way or another and have quietly gone their own way. The exceptions being what I listed above.
    When I was a docent at a zoo I worked regularly with the reptiles, mainly with the alligators and pythons, corn snakes, ect. If on the day I was supposed to carry them out among the visitors to the zoo the particular snake was having an "Off Day" or if I had carried them for a couple hours and they would be getting "stressed" they always let me know in a non violent manner that it was time to put them back in their homes because they had had enough humans for one day.
    I'm just suggesting that snakes are as much, and even perhaps more, a part of the outdoors than perhaps you and I are. They were around for many millennium before we were and the forest is their territory. If your a careful squirrel hunter, and I believe you are, your not moving fast enough to be much of a threat to a snake. I know for a fact that in most cases they will have seen [sensed your presence] and left long before you have seen them!
    But, in the end, the final choice is yours.
    I hope the shot shell information provided you with the information you required. If not, send me a PM with your detailed questions and I will answer them to the best of my professional ability. :smile2: I can answer one question you might have and that is "No, I am not taking any more building, modifying, repair, orders at this time." I'm already working on clients Deer Rifles getting them ready for the November Deer Season, as well as other firearms used for Rabbit, Squirrel, Pheasant, Dove, Varmint seasons and more. Sorry!:sad2:
    But I will gladly help you with any information/academic firearm questions.:smile2:
    Hope this post helped you in particular and perhaps other Brothers and Sisters in general.:smile2:
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The only use for them that I have found is for snakes. When I go frog gigging I use them in my pistol other than that I have found no good use for them. They are not for hunting of any kind.

8. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    thank you everyone for your respones, they were helpful. I had a feeling .22 shotshells wouldn't cut it.

9. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    When I was about 10 or so my dad give me a handful of them and set me in the barn right beside the light switch. Well after the calves were fed and the lights went out then here come the rats and it is a 1000 wonders I never hit anything i was not suppose to..well almost but thats another story:roll_eyes:

10. AllenM

AllenM Guest

All I've ever used them for was snake shot in a revolver. A fairly useless ammunition IMHO. I'd MUCH rather use my air rifle to hunt something.

11. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    I have to disagree, I have killed ground hogs 75 yards away with my 22. I grew up on a beef cattle farm and every fall we would slaughter a cow for meat and my dad would always use the 22 to bring them down. It was 15 to 20 feet away but one shot was all it would take and the cow would go straight down with no suffering. So I think a 22 is a good weapon if you are a good shot.

12. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I became a big fan of the CB 22 subsonic cartridge a few years back. They are lethal on small game and very quiet. Give them a shot.

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    The 22 is a good weapon but not with the 22 shot shells. If I had my pick of any weapon and all the ammo I could carry it would be a 22 rifle with 22LR hollow points.

14. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Air rifles are great fun to hunt with. Squrriel season i always have one outing with my Gamo 220 in .22. What do you hunt and with what kind of air rifle?

15. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Id say more like 10 or 15 feet. I have killed pack rats inside a shed with them. They work close range and don't tear the building up, but they are pretty much worthless beyound 20 feet or so.

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well said Rip...I love my .22's, but I have no use for the shot shells.

17. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Long ago I had access to commercial chicken houses. When the chickens are removed the water and heat is left on for a couple of days for the exterminators to work on the rat population which is un believable. On a cold night in the winter time they wont leave. You can kind of herde them up on the top plate. A H&R 9 shot revolver was used with the rat shot. A good dog is what is needed for those that are knocked down but not killed. There have been some 22 rifles that were made for rat shot. these had a longer chamber and smothe bore. They shot significantly harder than a rifled barrel. A pistol will shoot harder than a rifled barrel rifle. The nice thing was that the exterminator had to pick up the carcases. He may have even got paid for what we killed. It was a blast!!!

18. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    hey Bigun...I would think a rifle would be better than pistol for shot shells. the rifle would produce a tighter patern with the longer barrel.

19. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    The grooves in the rifle barrel throw the patterns way out. Thats why shotguns have smooth barrels.

20. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    I found one thing the shotshells are good for.
    WING SHOOTING DRAGON FLIES!!!!! It' a blast.
    SORRY IN ADVANCE TO TREE HUGGERS AND PETA PERVERTS.
    CATWACKER