22 shot cartriges and guns.

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by bootshowl, Jan 27, 2008.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I was wondering for some feedback on the 22 and shot shells. Lil things for the garden/pest control. I have no experience. But I remember reading several articles about smoothbore 22's that were popular at times past. I know speer makes shotshell 22 with the plastic caps to hold the load of tiny pellets, but federal evidently makes a crimped version also. What's the skinney on shooting these out of rifled barrels? Hurt the bore any?
    A buddy ask me to an indoor shoot, American Legion, & they use 22 rifles with the crimped federal shot loads at lil targets at 16 feet range. Indoor turkey shoot! Sounds like a hoot, but wondered if any damage to rifled bores & if anyone still mfg's. smoothbore 22's. Thanks.

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I'm no expert, but shootin #12 shot (crimped) outta a 22, I can't imagine anything other than fowling the barrel. dummies like me would just shoot a coupla rem. copperclad rounds to cleat the bore.:big_smile:

I know that ain't the proper way, just my way:smile2::tounge_out:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well for pest control after living on a farm from a child then moving to town where we had to put the trash on the curb for the trash truck to pick up once a week well after having the trash cans knocked over from dogs, possums,coons and leaving a big mess . being the red neck that i am thought it would be fun to shoot them with the paint ball guns sence i couldnt shoot a 22 or shotgun in town. it was fun shooting the critters with all different colors and the dogs didnt take too many times of that my problem was over. man did them dogs yelp lol.:eek:oooh:

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have did it and didnt seem to hurt anything

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've shot them in 22 pistols for years. They are great for snakes, rats, etc. or inside farm buildings. Never shot over a few rounds at a time but noticed no problems with the guns.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Same here, I've shot them (crimped) out of both pistols and rifles with no unwanted side effects. As for cleaning, just cleaned'em same as I would after shooting regular bullets.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I used to shoot the Remington 572 smoothbore a lot with a friend.It grouped best with the Remington shot.Shot and gun were most likely designed to work together.

I use to shoot the wood boring Bumblebees a lot with Ruger single sixes.One would shoot fairly clean.The other would foul up in a hurry.Don't know why unless the barrels were different.

Shot a lot of Rats,Mice and Squirrels in barns with corn cribs and bulk Oat storage.Some Marlin Micro Grove fouled up and some shot clean.Some Winchester,Savage and Stevens shot clean and some fowled badly.Some shot one brand best and some another.The Remington smoothbore shot all the best of all we used with the best patterns and least fliers.A real old Marlin single shot 22 with bad rusty rifling that had been taken to a machine shop and had the rifling removed seemed to shoot about as good as the Remington.Being that the Marlin was old,I have no Idea what kind or rifling was removed.The rifle was stole and the owner dead or I would ask.The shot are a lot different now with the pretty shot containers and shoot different in the few I have shot in recent years.I don't see how it could damage a barrel unless you let it lead up bad enough to have pressure problems.Some rifles leaded up until they looked like a smooth bore.I know it sounds funny,but the old rifled guns seemed to foul less.Could time and wear leave smoother bores?

I shot bought and hand loaded shot to shoot in my Ruger 44 Blackhawk.I used the old home made "Eds Red"with the Carbontec. and a bronze brush to clean my barrels and had no trouble cleaning the barrels.

22 Shot ain't the best big Rat and Squirrel killer in my opinion,but it don't do near the damage to the surrounding area.Also expensive and fun.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have shot lots of both kinds in my ruger single six,but I allways shot cci with the capsules in my marlin rifle.As for cleaning I think most any copper/lead fouling type of solvent would spiff em up nicely.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It won't damage the gun at all. It just makes for a little more mess to clean out. As far as effectiveness, out of a rifled barrel, you've got to be really close to get enough pellets in tiny critters to down them. Remember, if you only wound them, they may turn and attack you!LOL

10. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have used then to deter cattle before but I always tried to make sure to get a shot from a good distance and only at the rump so I didn't hit them in the eyes or head. The only problem I had with them is my Ruger 10/22 would not eject them.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ah,the truth.You weren't raised up around the Santee and knew of this too by chance?

I remember a old fellow who stepped on a Squirrels tail as he went to pick it up when it fell in the edge of a paved road after he shot it out of his Pecan Tree.It came to life and tried to run but he was on it's tail.As he jumped back it had turned and started up the inside of his overalls leg.It bit him several times.Supposedly on the thigh and his behind along with scratching him before it came out the back of his overalls.This was in dog days and we had rabies going around.Never found the Squirrel and he had to take the shots.Folks watching at a distance thought that he had got in a Yellow Jacket nest the way he was dancing and hollering.I have been bit by one half grown squirrel that split the bone longways in my 9 year old finger.The doctor irrigated it all of the way through from top to bottom cleaning it up.Lucky that I had the Squirrel caged to watch for Rabies or I would have had to take the shots in those days.

They should call them "Mouse Shot" as that is what they work the best on.They also,like a BB gun are very good at putting eyes out of anything if someone is reckless,careless or unthinking.

Oh,yea.I almost forgot.Rumor had it that the Squirrel bit elderly gentleman went out,bought tight briefs and started wearing underwear for the first time in his life.It makes you wonder where all he was bit don't it?:wink:

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    A buddy and I had old 22 revolvers that we would take to the swamp and shoot dragonflys and grasshoppers with. Lots of fun...

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    As a Boy, I shot about five or six kazillion rats in the barn with the crimped rat shot shells out of an old Remington Single Shot Model 33. Didn't seem to hurt the rifling. Made for nasty looking patches come cleaning time. I sold that old 22 a few years ago when I sold a bunch of guns I never used anymore to buy a new Yamaha 4 cycle outboard for the fishing boat. Why am I so Dumb?:sad2:

14. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    out of my marlin bolt action the shotshell are useless past 15 feets. in that distance maybe 5 pellets will hit a soda can. out of my dads ruger MKII bull barrel pistol the shot is slightly more effective, with maybe 10-12 pellets hitting a can at 5 yards. ive read that those pellets coming in contact with the rifling will expand the shot quickly and a longer barrel makes it expand even quicker. with a .22 rifle i see no use for the stuff at all. through my henry .22mag, the mag shotshells pattern a little tighter because there are more pellets. as for pest control the ruger MKII and shotshell are ok for shooting cottonmouths near our pond, but usually takes a few shots to kill them but i have to eject the shells manually

15. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I usually have them in the first two positions in my pocket pistol - a NAA .22 mag - just in case I sit too close to a copperhead. I haven't had any problems.