.22 rifle

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by catfish1516, Nov 10, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    Where can i get a good deal on a used (or new) .22 rifle for squirrel huntin. Normally I would go with a air rifle just for the challenge. But it is gettin harder and harder to hit em, so I need somethin more powerful.

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I'd say the Ruger 10/22 is the best .22 for the money. You can trick 'em out as much as you want, or the basic rifle is a solid shooter..
    * You can pick one up most places for around $100.00 bucks.

Take care~
    A

3. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    ruger 10/22 or a marlin bolt action rifle. both are cheap and good guns. good luck

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Try your local pawn shop.

I want a Ruger 10/22 for target shooting because I don't squirrel hunt.

Good luck in your search.

5. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yea go with a marlin .22 bolt. my dad picked me up one with a scope for about 130 bucks. cheap! plus i can shoot all day and spend only 5 or 6 bucks! good gun!

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Andy what's with the "a" rifle. Ya got to have at least 3 or 4 bumping around the cab of the truck.LOL Great post and replies. Smart starting with a 22lr. I like em all. Sales wise by volume, it's Marlin, Ruger, Remington & then Thompson Center for the 22lr. Don't have the exact numbers but do remember they ranked that way from a recent article I read. For the money I'd get a new one, have your warranty. Pawn shops scare me as that's where you go when you don't want to insult a friend if ya get my meaning. Most pawnbrokers know more about jewelry than they do firearms. You like hunting, well hunt yer gun. Sorry to say the big discount places can beat the price of your small local dealer as their flooring costs are less. Happy hunting.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I have three .22LR currently. I have a Marlin Model 99 autoloader, A Revelation(Western Auto brand) bolt-action and a Rossi Model 62S its real short, its also a pump.

I'll be checking the local pawn shops soon looking for a Ruger 10/22. I want to get the thumbhole stock and target barrel.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Don't forget to visit your counties Sheriff's Office to pick up you permit to purchase long guns and pistols. When I first moved here I went to buy the wife a pistol and found that out from the gun dealer.

9. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I used to hunt with a 22 rifle, but long ago I gave it up because of the
    danger involved in using this type of caliber. This caliber is is slow moving
    and richoches are common putting anyone near in danger. I would suggest
    using a 20 guage or 16 guage in a full choke and #5 shot. You will get
    better results and almost as much distance. Scoped rifles are no good in
    late evening... they don't draw enough light.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree, Shotguns for meat hunting but 22 CB Caps that make no noise are great for shooting in the head at 20 or so yards. Doesn't scare the squirrels two trees over.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm gonna hang on to the 22 till the marinating shotshells come out....if I can take it down with some Cajun spice.....I might switch over, but till then I think the head shot is easier on the dental work.
    :big_smile:

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I can tell that you have never looked down a Swarovski 3x12x56 Scope with a 30 mm tube late in the evening.There are some light gathering scopes out there that will let you see way past when you can with the naked eye.They should for what they cost.There is nothing wrong with open sights if you have good vision.peewee-williams

13. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    what ya do is find someone in the family, or a good friend and ask if anyone has an old .22 their gettin rid of and tell em youll do some work for em and if they like ya enuf theyll give it to ya for nuthin. thats what i did, there was this old .22 without a stock and i asked my dad if he was gunna do anything with it, he said nope and i asked if i could have it, found the stock in the basement, camo'd the stock, and i now have a nice marlin .22, free and a little bit of work into it and i didnt pay a dime. ill get a picture of the stock i did, i think its pretty impressive if i say so myself.

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If this will help.Out of my eleven 22 rifles the accuracy ran like this for me with the top 5.#1-Ruger 10-22 SS Target,#2-Marlin 39A,#3-Remington 572 Fieldmaster pump,#4-Marlin bolt action Squirrel rifle 7 shot clip feed.#5-Marlin bolt action repeater tubular magazine.#2,#3 and #5 handle short,longs and long rifles.#1,and #4 are long rifle only.peewee-williams

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am looking forward to seeing your rifle and stock.You should be able to get a lifetime worth of satisfaction out of that rifle,and you have something to pass along to your children and grandchildren that they should cherish.I love to take a old stock and refinish it,though I prefer oil like the custom rifles now that I have trouble with my hands.Just remember that it is very important to seal the inside of the stock in case you get caught in the weather.Few new guns are sealed anymore.peewee-williams

16. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ruger 10/22 classic, my dad grew up with one, most accurate range is about 40 yards, can by a new one for about $150

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I love the Henry rifles. I got to get a Golden Boy in .17.

18. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I'm really surprised that no one mentioned the Marlin model 60. I've had two of these. I have a 4x Bushnell Sportview (about $30) on the current one and I would put it against any .22 out there at 50 yards or less. The rifle was around $100 at Wally World.

19. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I own a Ruger 10/22 that I purchased to use for rabbit hunting as tree squirrels around the desert areas are as scarce as hens teeth.
    I took it to a local gunshop and had a bull barrel, trigger kit and Hogue synthetic stock installed along with a 3x9 variable scope.
    I have very little trouble hitting cotton tails in the head out to about 40 yds. Total cost including the new original rifle about $600.00.
    That being said I think you would be well advised to look into a inexpensive 20 ga. shotgun for squirrels because up close they are very effective and they are limited range for missed shot. Remember that the range on a 22LR is about 2-1/2 miles, not the best thing to use when shooting up into a tree if you miss.
    20 gage shells are not too expensive and the gun can be used for upland game also. Don't be fooled into buying a 410 just because they are cheap. The shells are very high priced and a 410 is also an experts gun not a kids gun or a womens gun, even though I have seen some women that could use one quite well they take years of practice to get good with.

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I don't care for semi-autos, but my vote is for the Ruger 10/22, for three reasons:

1. No noise chambering another round. This is important, because often it's possible to kill 2 0r more squirrels from the same tree, if you're quiet and still after the first shot.

2. There are tons of after-market goodies (stocks, barrels, triggers, magazines, etc.) out there for the Ruger, and next to nothing for everything else.

3. Should the day come that you get really serious about accuracy, there are gunsmiths that specialize in accurizing this gun. With the right ammo, and a good rest, mine will shoot 5 shot groups at 50 yards that can be covered with a nickel.