.22 for turkey

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by south_va_fisherman, Nov 12, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    here in va you can hunt turkey with a .22, i dont know if other states do this. but im curious if anyone else does. what kind of setup do you use?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nope we can now only use shotguns here used to we could hunt turkey while deer hunting and shoot them with a rifle but that has changed and the fall hunt is ,get this IN SEP. and you gotta use a shotgun

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Nope, not in Michigan. Shotguns only.
    Sparky

4. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    you cant in ky and i beleve its because were everyones in full camo its hard to make sure your not shooting in the direction of another hunter

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I buy an archery turkey tag and carry it with me deer hunting, but I can't really say that i've actually be "turkey" hunting.
    From what i've heard about them though they are very tough to kill; I have to wonder if a .22 would do the job unless you shot it in the head.

Eric

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    In Colo I used a 22 mag in a Ruger 77/22.I would aslo use a 17HMR but to me any of the 22 CENTERFIRES would be good not the LR.A 22 Hornet would be about perfect.:smile2: Not from the Turkeys perspective though!!!!:big_smile: :lol: :smile2:

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    im suprised more states dont allow it. its only a big bird, a 191ftlb CCI stinger should put it down really easy. power is not an issue to me. its shot placement. i know in california you can hunt them with .22 cal pellet guns.