20X Gathering

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by jrgriffhusker, Oct 26, 2009.

1. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Okay lets put our thoughts down here and save the poll for the poll.
    I thought putting the poll up would help everyone get a voice in. Not everyone is going to agree. So why not go with the poll this year and then at the gathering everyone that shows can discuss where to have it in two years and then throw all the names on the table and then put it to a vote then and there. Because frankly the ones that show up should be the main ones that decide on the next one.
    All I know is that here it isn't even Jan and it already feels like last year before the gathering. Don has told me personally he's not even sure if he's going to make it so why is he voting, I'm not picking on you Don by no means, just a thought that a person could say. So at this point I'm just going to wait and see how the poll works out and then I'll see where it goes down.
    So throw your thoughts out here and talk all you like but I think we should go with the poll. We already know that Zach changed his vote from BO to Calumus so as of right now Calumus and Merritt are tied.

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    if you don't pick merritt than F U !!!!!!!!!!!! :smile2:

na just a joke people....it needs to be merritt or calamus.....bottom line

branched oak was last year....it should not even be in the running this year!!!!!!!!

if it's gonna make more people show up I'll say calamus but nebraska has to many internet fishermen that vote and they go silent for the rest of the year...

last year we had more people show up at bluestem on a saturday than the branched oak gathering..... I guess what I'm saying is ask the people what the people want......

hey guys where do you wanna fish ????????? merritt or calamus

3. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Between those two choices I would say Merritt. It doesn't turn into an ocean when the wind comes up and the state record channie came from there.

4. NebraskaWalleye

NebraskaWalleye New Member

State:
    Viola Kansas
    If its between those 2 I am gonna say calamus just because the average cat that comes from there is suppose to be 15 lbs so unless they have a massive winter kill I dont see it changing much and from what everyone has been saying merrit has been real slow, Merrit has lots of good locations from what I can see on the map but calamus is a lake that is built for drifting even if it does get rough we are going in june and getting a little wet wont feel bad in the middle of the day, at night you can anchor or even during the day if your that worried about melting, there is plenty of activities for the women that dont fish and the men that dont too, to do with the kids as well. plus it has split sections for water sports and no wake. half and half, So all in all calamus would be the better location for these reasons.

5. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    no offence bro....but have you been to merritt???? don't get me wrong I like calamus but merritt has it all as well everything but the split sections...

6. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Good question.

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I think we are forgetting that the point of having a gathering is first and foremost so we can all get together and sit around bullshitting and carrying on,with some fishing mixed in here and there. This is a chance for everybody to get to know each other and expand your friends network, and your fishing knowledge. We need to have it in a central location that stands the best chance of drawing more people,merrit is not central,it's way out in BFE,and not many new folks are going to make that drive to get together with us,Merrit is a fishermans lake and if we go to Merrit you might as well not even bother about the gathering because I know that I'm not the only one that after driving that far to fish,I will fish hard and really won't take part in the gathering,sorry guys. I know that there are others here who will take off fishing and we'll not see them at the actual gathering hardly at all,even though their vehicle may be parked right there they will be gone fishing. Whatever guys,I'll show up if I can,I just can't commit to anything 8 months out,just to many twists and turns on lifes roads.

8. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    don...I've said this before in a gathering thread....

I was told by a wise man (skawez) there is something wrong with nebraska members and gatherings

we can talk it up all we want but only 2-3 people will go....thats why I'm talking about merritt because I'm making my own plans and letting others know ahead of time and maybe they can show up too...if it turns into a gathering GREAT otherwise I'm still gonna have fun

I love the central idea and I hope it works.....but you won't belive me untill it happens.....nebraska members have real life problems and stuff to deal with and to many plans get broken...

9. NebraskaWalleye

NebraskaWalleye New Member

State:
    Viola Kansas

I have never been to merrit which I have stated on here before >not trying to sound condescending< but Merritt isnt split like you said and some of will want to be able to do water sports while others of us will not want to be even be bothered with it. If we were going carp fishing I would rather have the water sports but were talking catfish and Merritt from what people have said has been slow the past couple of years and on top of that the further north you get the smaller the cats are gonna get you have a better chance of getting a new state record in one of the more southern lakes, and as I have stated before it does not matter where its at ill be there boat or not, I am stating I would prefer calamus over merritt also because the drive is closer for myself by about an hour or so, and I have 5 kids, that if we go this far will be with me. 2 women and another one being my brother in law. plus pets.......

10. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I'm with Frank on the idea that it don't matter where we decide to have it hardly any of the the members will show up for it. So you guys decide where you want it at and let me know. But at this point in time I'm just going to hook up with Chris, Frank, Jr and whoever wants to and go to Merritt to fish.

11. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Hey John,it don't have to be like that. The point I was trying to make is that we would have a better chance of having a better turn out with a more central lake,and that the main point of a gathering is not the fishing(I believe you stated the same thing),so to me if the main point of the gathering is not the fishing,why go clear off to BFE and hope everybdy will say sure driving all day. the guys in southeast nebraska would have a 9 to 10 hr one way trip,that would be ridiculous! If you lived in say nebraska city you could be fishing on the gulf in the same amount of drive time as going to merrit, F-that! I'll be the first to agree that merrit is nice, it's probably the best lake we have to offer as a state,but it is also a long way from nowhere,and the fishing is not "that" great. I truely plan on fishing where ever the group chooses,the reason I can't commit 8 friggin months ahead of time is that I don't know when I'm having surgury again and where I'll be with that,I did NOT say I wasn't going to come,but would not like to volonteer a bunch of time and stuff and then be in the hospital and not doing what I promised. Ask Frank how good I get around,things can change too much over the course of 8 months. Don't be gettin butt hurt this far out,I'm not trying to ruin the gathering,just throwing out ideas and options so we can make this the best we can. I put up a post over a month ago about having a Nebraska/Kansas mixer gathering at Lovewell SRA in Kansas,just 6 miles south of superior ne. The Kansas guys were all for it and I couldn't even get you all to respond to the thread,now thats okay with me,but don't expect me tpo go gung-ho over a ne gathering where I have to drive 5 hours to get there in the summer heat,to catch channel cats. I think we need to get together and fish sometime soon,you would realize how easy I am to get along with and understand that I am looking out for the majority,and trying to help the club/member list grow by being available to as many as possible.

12. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hey don....I responded to your mixer idea....

I think there is some comfusion here....even if we have a gathering at calamus....there can still be one at merritt!!!!!!!

there is no rules or anything on how many events you can have....

everyone that has met me knows I will go to both events and out fish everyone:smile2::smile2::smile2:.....

we are all on the same team....this just shows how hard it is to please everyone....

chill ladies chill:smile2::smile2:

13. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Sorry Frank,yes you did respond to the mixer thread! I still think it's a good idea. Anyway,yes we can have all the gatherings we want.And frank you might need to throw that one stringer away,before outfishing everyone:smile2: or you could donate it to the prize package:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  14. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    if I wasn't such a cheap sob I would have by now.....that stringer cost me 15 bucks!!!!!!!!

anyways guys lets bring some humor back to the thread......

the only thing I ask is that the dates be far enuff appart that I can get some more money out of my wife's purse:smile2::smile2:

seriously tho lets make the dates at least a payday apart

15. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    Okay for the record I just yahoo'd it. From Neb Cty to Valetine is 5 hr and 53 minutes. And for me to drive to Calumus is 4 hr and 50 minutes. With the camper I pull it is more like 6 hours with the kids. So my question is why is more fair to make it closer to you guys and further from me? Especially when I was willing to take the lead when no one else but Frank wanted to. I think the mixer with KS may be the best idea just cause then someone will show up. Probably all the KS guys

16. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I know I'm getting someone with the "fish under the seat" prank at one of the gatherings:smile2::smile2::smile2:

I can't wait

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Well now that my pantys got unbunched,sorry for the ranting everybody!

15 dollar stringer? that thing jump into the water and lasso it's own fish for that? I hope it works better than your phone:smile2:. Last fri had to be the biggest screwing the phone company gave you,I think they are working secretly with PETA to save all those big fish we would have slaughtered! Did you see the pics of the 40 lb. blue they caught,nice! That won't happen again,but I am curious as to where the H you were? I'm going to meet you at the hwy Thursday morning,and lead you to my house and then you'll slap your head,how easy it is.Yeah I can laugh about that!

18. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    now that sounds like the don I know.....and pour some mt. dew on it too..:smile2:

19. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    another fun fact about my phone being effed up.....everytime tony calls me it goes to my wife's phone!!!!!!! go figure:smile2::smile2::smile2:

and I programed my number is his phone so I know it's right....

and I was at the corner of bfe and you got a purdy mouth:smile2:....I think I went the harvard way...but yea lets meet at the highway and then head south....

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  20. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    merritt is a long drive from here aprox. 6 hrs.... but again like i said thats where i'd go over all the other places..... if i'm able to make it chris will probably be right next to me on the road..... when we gonna have a neb city gathering even tho it fell through the first time shure we can get something going for a weekend at the end of july/beginnig of aug when them state and world records are being broke:wink:... as for going to merritt i willl be going for other fish as well