20th staright skunking on the scioto

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Sep 16, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow, 14 hrs fishing today, and tonight...My rods never moved...I had fresh shad, and live gills and bass, no hits again.

I think this will be my last trip this year, almost 190 hours of fishing without a fish, or a bite.

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    sounds like something is seriously wrong with the scioto, hopefully it turns around for you

3. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Come down to Dresden ! theres alot of spots to fish .An theres no pressure for the fall bite.It seems that the fish are on in DRESDEN.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    are you constantly fishing the same spot

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here's my 2009 flathead story.

2009 season was much anticipated. I started fishing for flats in the middle of April. To cut to the story short, I didn't catch anything over 10lbs in April, June, and July!:embarassed: The flathead Gods allowed me a 21lber in May!:cool2: I was frustrated and ready to jump off a bridge.

The came August! I fished hard and put in a lot of time and effort. I was able to catch 9 fish over 25lbs including 5 30's. Biggest is 36.

Would I have had a spectacular month of August if i would have given up in July? Don't give up and eventually the flathead Gods will shine upon you.:cool2:

6. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati

Definitley sounds like it is time to find a new spot....

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio

For the most part I am fishing the same spot that gave up 44flatheads in 7 trips last year, with 2 over 50-lbs, 4 over 40-lbs, and 9 over 30-lbs.

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    and don't forget the one over 60 your going to catch here real soon.

9. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    That's how I am at times. I have a sweet spot that I've been fishing for over 2 years now. The day I discovered it , I was running out of options and heading back to the car when I decided to cast out. Since then , I go up there at least 5 to 6 times a month. The fish there seem to relate to a large , slow moving log in the water. I swear it seems like they move it because when I initially went , it was straight in front of me. Now it has moved 20 feet upstream!! Sometimes the spot does'nt produce , but 80% of the time I walk away with at least 2 eaters. Friday I went and got one bite due to all the damn seadoos and jetskis. But I believe every spot is sweet at one time or another. In the meantime , I try as many areas as possible in the hopes of establishing another.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    OK Jack now Im only going to say this once Cheese filled HOTDOGS:wink: and rub some garlic on it :smile2::eek:oooh:, not only does it catch fish but you look funny rubbing the garlic on it:smile2::tounge_out::wink:

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    just turn ur back so no one sees you rubbin your wiener:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

12. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    might wanna watch callen bass bait in ohio! could be a bad call

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Why? Just like in PA, if it's within the size limit and caught on rod and reel........ANYTHING GOES!

Unless someone has totally jacked your honey hole and filled the freezer with big flatheads?:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack I have always heard that the definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results" I know you are frustrated....frustrated because you arent catching fish, furstrated that your holes are being over crowded, or poached to death...

Why don't you move on? Find something or someplace else to fish. I changed the way I do things this year, and its very rare that I will spend each trip fishing the same areas, regardless if I caught fish there the week prior or not. If you continue to do so, your going to drive yourself crazy. And are going to forget what this sport is all about man, getting out there and enjoying yourself, and enjoying the sport that most of the members of this board love so much.

Change your approach, and get out of the same area. I know its easy for me to say bro, I have this gigantic river right down the road from my backyard, the smaller rivers are different as far as I know. I realize that you cant get the space you want up there as easily as I can down here on the big O, but there has to be a better way man. There has to be somthing else you can try, or somewhere else you can go. Hell switch to catching channel cats for a while to break the slump...You have got to do something different, or your going to start hating the thought of catfishing. Just my .02 cents bud, I hope things change for you, and you can find a way to combat this slump your going through.:wink:

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Dang it Jack now "Would You Please Put A Hook On The Line"!

16. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Adapt to the situation and MOVE! This has been a non-typical year with weather. I've noticed other things like certain mushrooms aren't coming up when they should be so use the skunking as an excuse to try new places. At least you have gotten out, I haven't gone since the 4th of July. Good luck!

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Belive me I would like to change spots, this spot produced many big flatheads last year.

But I have a major problem, I had back surgery last year..And I never know when the next step I take will be my last, or even making a hard cast will be my last.

This spot is easy to get to, that is why I have stuck with it...I have had people like misterwhisker, and others offer to take me out in a boat, but my back could not even take a slight jaring from a wake.

I just cant understand why every singlr fish in this stretch has disapered.

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    the sipp has been unforgiving too here the last couple weeks...i got nine out and notta so dont feel bad ....its the calm befor the storm and ya gotta be paitent its gonna flip to crazy soon (LOL) then ya gonna get em back out(LOL)

19. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Dude I have ton of spots like that on the river, they give up big fish after big fish, then boom, they're gone..Rivers are forever changing, and the fish aint gonna be there for eternity.