20lb test line on a spinning reel!

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by CJ21, Jun 20, 2009.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I had my Abu C106 with 20lb test line! and it dont seem to hold well on the spool, I am think I will stick with baitcaster bacause they hold a lot more line.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have several larger spinning reels and I lovem'. 1 of them is an Okuma ABF90 which holds 590 yards of 20# mono or 330 yards of 30# mono. Maybe the 106 is just a little on the small side. Try a bigger one!:wink:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    What do you mean it don't hold well on the spool?:confused2:
    If its coming off the spool/falling off a lot then you have too much line on it. Try taking off some of the line and see if it helps. 20# test shouldn't be a problem with that reel. It may not hold a ton of 20# but it should hold enough.
    I've got a Cardinal 102 and I have 17# test on my spare spool for skipjack & Channel cat fishing around rocks and it works fine.

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    95% of my reels are spiining reels and wouldn't treade them for anything.I don't know why the line would be falling off of your reel.You might have to much on there.Check and see how much and the amount of line the reel is capable of holding.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I check it, it holds 150 yds of 20lb test line. That might be the problem because I have spool it 20lb mono before. AJ I own 4 baitcasters a 5000, 5600, 6000, and a 6500C3. So I am a big baitcaster fan. I use spinning reels for the light stuff.

6. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Last year in May.....I caught a 67 lb Flathead on a Penn spinning reel with 20# mono. It held about 170 yards of line. Worked like a charm!:wink:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I will keep using my spinning for catfishing then may get a new rod. :)

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    50lb test on all my spinning reels...have not had any problems with them...

9. richard84

richard84 New Member

State:
    ky
    i bet that was a fun battle...keep on castin folks:big_smile:

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Here is a few pictures of my spinning reel.

Attached Files:

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Welcome to the BOC Richard!!

12. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky

I have 2 of the 104's. Very smooth. I like them. I guess I should check out some of the bigger models too. I use my 104's for bluegills and skipjacks.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

:crazy: I use the 102 for skippies, gills and sometimes Channels and thought it was overkill!:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:
    I'm planning on getting a 104 for Channels, the 102 works good for them but need an excuse to get more reels.:wink::smile2:

14. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky

I put 10# mono on mine and I must say I have really enjoyed the quality of these reels. I really like the instant stop anti reverse. Hardly ever get a back lash or problem of any kind. Since I do more fishing for bluegills for flathead baits....I decided to use these 104's for bait catching. I was using some older reels for bait....but they would spin a half turn backwards after I stopped reeling....this made for frustration on the river bank. So now I can say problem solved. I have no doubt that these reels are capable of landing some awesome fish with the right lines.:wink:

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    John try the 106 for channels since it holds 150 yds of 20lb test line.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have the 106! going to get a 102 or 101 for Bass fishing.

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Its between that and the 104. When I go for Channels I usually use 12# test and occasionally 17#. There's a State lake close to here that they stock Channels in and I like to use lighter gear for them. Its a fairly small lake so I don't need a ton of line. Can't go wrong with either, their great reels & smooth as can be!

You'll like the 102. I love mine and have sure put it through a lot. I don't bass fish but its great for gills, trout, skipjack and crappie.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Yes John I love mind. I most likely will get the 101 for Bass and Crappie Fish throwing small crankbaits and lures. going to use 6lb test line.

19. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    CJ21 i can't remember if you like braid or not but here it goes. if you want to use 20lb test on that reel try this. get a 150yd spool of 20lb power pro and strip about 100 yds of mono off your reel and fill it with the braid or get a 300 yd spool and strip about 150 yds off your reel if my calculations are correct then your should be full of braid and ready for action.

20. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey everybody instead of startin a new thread I might as well just ask it here. I've got a spinning reel a shimano baitrunner 3500b and I thought I would go with braid but I don't want to have to reel it up thru a phonebook and all that I just want it to be easy haha. Does anyone know a good mono that is still limp in the 15-20lb range? Stren seems nice in 12lb but thats all ive felt. And I know I don't like P-line in that range (at least not on spinning reels). I tried berkley big game in 15lb but that had way too much memory and went all my spool kinda funky. I also really like berkley xl but I'm not sure if it's very abrasion resistant...:roll_eyes: