209M VS 309M( NEED PICS )

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jan 22, 2010.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    CAN SOMEONE TAKE A PICTURE OF THE 209M AND THE 309M TO GET A REFERENCE OF THE SIZE COMPARISON OF THE 2.....

DIDNT WANT TO BOTHER WITH THE POST BUT MAYBE IT COULD HELP OUT SOMEONE ELSE !?!?!:laugh1:?

PPPPWWWWEEEEEEESSSSSSEEEEEE:cyclops:

LeRoy

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The 309 around is the same size as a 3/0 Penn Senator or Penn 330 GTi, if you see one of those reels somewhere or know someone who has one. Or any other conventional reel that hold 350 yards of 30lb mono. It's a pretty large reel, compared to what you are used to seeing in a freshwater reel. It's a good bit larger than a 209 is. Overkill for most freshwater fishing, IMO, unless you need something that will hold a large amount of thick, heavy test line, or are tackling large sturgeon. It'll definitely handle anything you set a hook into in North American freshwater. Pretty popular for snagging with HEAVY line.

PM Ramon06 and see if he can hook you up with a picture.. He's got 309's and Penn 320's (about the same size as a 209), he might have a 209 too. Maybe he can do a side by side for you.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree that the 309 is a bit overkill unless you need ALOT of line or are using a BIG line.
    The 209s are just about perfect for heavy duty catfishin, imo.
    I wish they still made the 109s, and I wish they had a power handle. They are great channel cat reels.
    First pic is of a 209 and a 309. Second pic is of a 109, 209 and a 309.

Attached Files:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Here is a pic of the top of the reels. The pics dont really do the size difference justice. The 309 is a huge reel. :laugh:

Attached Files:

• Top.jpg
      Top.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
  5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    SO THEYRE BASICALLY THE SAME WIDTH BUT THEYRE MUCH TALLER... OR DID I LOOK AT THE PICTURE WRONG ???

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE PICTURE :)

6. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The Penn 109 and 9m reels are just about perfect for most catfishing. They hold a decent amount of any line, rated at 275yds of 15, which just enough bigger than an Abu 6500 to make a big difference to me. Right between the Abu 6000 and 7000 reels in size. Good drags, GREAT clickers, geared just high enough to give good cranking power.

They used to make one called the Mag Tuned 10 that was THE perfect reel, IMO. 4.1-1 gearing, 2 ball bearings, aluminum spool, and a magnetic cast control. Same size as the 109/9m. Very castable. I was STUPID and sold them to get on the Abu bandwagon. I've thought about getting a couple again, but the last ones I watched on Ebay went for more than they cost orginally when in production, and these were used ones. I think that the last one I got new, oh, 15 years ago, was $50 or so. The used ones were hitting $70 or more. Ugh.