209 or 309?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SkiMax, Apr 14, 2008.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I am looking at reels on ebay. i want a Penn. Would you guys recomend the 209 or 309? the 209 is about 10 bucks cheaper. Thanks, reps coming your way!

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i just bought 2 209's last week, i used them this weekend for a tourny and i like them. They hold PLENTY of line, only thing is i wish they were higher geared, 3 to 1 is too low to keep the line offa the bottom if u have 3oz weight or more.
    One thing good for them is they are simple, no bells or whistles, and reeling in a 9lb flattie was line nothing was there.

3. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I havent used a 209 but I own a 309 level wind and it is a great reel, the only flaw that I see in it is the bait clicker is somewhat tough for a fish to pull line out of the reel. So I usually keep it baited up for bigger cats. I caught my pb blue yesterday (31lbs) with it and it performed without flaw.
    Hope this helps

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Max, I have 4 of the 209s and you can't ask for a tougher reel. The 309 is more for saltwater in my opinion. The 209 is a bit more managable and will hold enough line to handle any fish in the Ohio River. I would save the extra $10 for a start on another 209. They are a bit slow on the retrieve, but the added power is a plus if you are hogging bigger fish. Also if you keep the spool topped off with line you shouldn't have any problems. Vern

5. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I own both the 209 is easier to handle do to the fact it is a little smaller and a little lighter. Both will handle anything in freshwater.

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I own both and the real difference is the size. The schematic from Penn even covers both reels. But why limit yourself?? Both are tough as nails, and really, every good catfisherman should have one of each!!

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been a big fan of Penn reels for as long as I can remember. I own several including ....309....9m.....200 surfmaster.....149 deepsea.....5500 spincast I love them all. I think my next one will be the 209. :smile2:

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Its really up to you, if you have a bigger heavier rod go with the 309 if you have a lighter rod go with the 209 for a balanced setup. I myself have all 309's.. reels are like bait, "THE BIGGER THE BETTER" to me anyways

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    The Penn 209 and the 309 models are basically the same reel. The 309 model just holds more line..so of course it is larger. I can tell you truthfully I own more than 50 209's that I have completely restored to original condition or up-graded with the teflon washer drag system and the newest reel is a 1970's. I use them for sturgeon, salmon, steel head, out to the Pacific Ocean for flounder, halibut, anything that comes along, you just can't beat them. Which ever you choose 209..309 feel confident your rig will get the job done. The smaller Penn 9 is also the same just smaller capasity but still a barn burner. The Penn 109 is a smaller version of the others but the handles spin with every cast.

Don

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    The main difference is the spool size. But internally the drag setup is a little beefier on the 309's. That's why I have all 309's. The gearing may be a little different between the 309 and 209. But like it has been said before. Either reel will do a good job.