209 and power pro

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cathouse, Jan 23, 2009.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Has anyone else ever had a problem using #65 PP on this reel , whats happening is it sometimes gets between the spool lip and inner side plate . Am i still having an occasional operator error or is this line just to thin for the tolerances of this reel , again it might be me but when i tighten the spool to the point where this does not happen casting distance is affected .

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Underspool your reel. That should help.

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    dont fill the reel to the max leave 1/8" to 1/4" this should solve the problem:wink:

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Ya can put fingernail polish on the edge of the spool to take up space. I did that with a couple reels, it builds up the edge enough to help keep the line out since it takes up space.

5. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I use 50 lb on mine and have not had the problem... The spool should just barely move when you push it back and forth in the reel. I do not have mine full to the top of the reel, so that may be where the problem is. Good luck.

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I use 50 lb on mine and have not had the problem... The spool should just barely move when you push it back and forth in the reel. I do not have mine full to the top of the reel, so that may be where the problem is. Good luck.

7. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX

8. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    If i remember correcly i used the whole roll of 300 yds of the #65 PP , that might be the problem this is the only reel i have done this on the rest are just top shotted .

9. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I dont fill my reels up as full any more you dont cast even 100 yds a t a time so I usually load up half a reel full and its works great for me. usually breaking it off happens close to the rigging so I dont have to reload that often.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    This highlights a dilemma...209s are pretty slow, anyway, so you want the spool as full as possible (fuller=faster), but too full causes problems of it's own.

This is just a guess, but it may be that the newer aluminum spools are built to closer tolerances, and won't be so sensitive to small diameter superlines.

Also, Bill brought up a very good point, re: end play. Keep it as close as you can, w/o rubbing.

11. reelworks

reelworks New Member

State:
    NJ

The point about keeping the spool filled is a good one, being that's such a low geared reel, you need all the line retrieve rate you can get.
    With that said, those spools should be filled to about 1/4 to 3/8" from the lip of the spool, any more and they start to mound up the line towards the center and create loose outer loops of line which tend to get loose and up into the spool gap.

I used several 210M reels for years with 30# and 50# on them with no issues. You do have to make sure the line winds on under tension when retrieving your line without a load on it. The don't cross wrap the line very well and PP tends to bury a bit when fighting large fish. The 209 has a small spool shaft too, be careful with your drag settings using 65lb line, I've seen several badly bent spools over the years.
    You should be able to get 300yds plus some mono backing on those spools. If i recall, I could get about 300yds of PP plus about 50 to 70 yds of mono backing on the 210, which is the same size spool. I switched over to 320GTI reels for the more favorable gear ratio several years ago.