2070 Lowe modifications. Just a few pictures of work in progress.

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Big Dav, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Hello everyone,
    As many of you know I have been bombarding you all with different questions about this and that. I am into a lot of different projects on this boat. Looks like I will still be at it for the next several weeks.:big_smile: I still have a lot of things I want to do to this boat. Currently in the middle of most of them.:big_smile:
    I ordered the Tuff coat rubberized flooring and it should be in the end of the week or first of next week. I ended up sending them a small painted piece from my boat to have the color matched. This is looking like it is going to be a major project in itself.:sad2: It should be worth all the effort after it is installed.

I also built a bait tank and I am installing it in the center console (about 22 gallons with rounded corners and an Akwa lung system).
    I also built a large live well (about 44-50 gallons depending on how high I install the overflow drain), new pumps, plumbing, insulation, and lights for the two new tanks. Because of adding the rear live well where I did I ended up moving the center console forward 24 inches (after talking with Lowe boats about where to install the large tank). While I was working with the console I added several gauges. Installed a Sea Star hydraulic steering system with kevlar hoses and new tfexterme control cables.
    I decided to go with Driftmaster pro duo 10 in shaft stainless hod holders with mounts that I made. I bought 20 Duo's for the sides (ten right and ten left threads). I am still working on a system for the back of the boat for rivers. I plan on at least a dozen holder on the rack I am working on for the back of the boat.
    I am also doing a little electrical work on the boat. I have made mounts for my Moonlite LED blacklights. Installing several 12v accessory plugs throughout the boat. Live well timers for the bait tank and the large live well. New aerator pumps for each tank and one for the Akwa Lung system. I am adding switches and fusing for all of the new electrical components that I have added.
    I still need to trade out the 12v trolling motor for a 24 volt trolling motor that I have on a different boat. I also need to decide on brand of battery charger for this boat. I have a dual pro extreme three bank pro in my tracker and I love it. That will probable be what I put in this boat as well. I am also looking at a couple of Minn Kota power anchors, the deck hand 40 I believe. I am very undecided on electronics for this boat. It has a Humminbird 141 color fish finder already in the boat. I was looking at the 997 side imaging unit but I have always had great luck with Lowrance. I just read about the newest technology from Lowrance and I may have to wait and see what the new year brings in the fish finder / GPS market.

Here are a couple of pictures of the large live well and the seat on top. It is double walled aluminum (all welded) with insulation between the walls. I am still trying to decide on leaving the aluminum diamond plate as it is or coating it with the tuff coat product like will be on the floor. :confused2:

Let me know what you think of my add ons, ideas and progress.
    Thanks again and sorry I have been asking so many darn questions.:big_smile:
    David

Attached Files:

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Here are some picture of the driftmaster I went with and the bases I made. The bases are 1" x 1" 6061 aluminum square stock that I milled up. They are help in place with stainless allen head button cap bolts and stainless square nuts inside the t-track system. I used 3/8 dia bolts and it seems to be very strong mounts. There are 10 of these on each side of the boat. Right hand threads for the right side of the boat. Left hand threads for the left side of the boat. I went with the pro series Duo's. I also had them make them with 10 inch tall stainless shafts. I hate having to bend over to grab a rod from floor level.
    Let me know what you think of the mounts I made.
    Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    looks like your going to have a nice rig i just dont know about them rod holds not the holder there self its the way there mounted or it might just be the way it looks they just dont look like they would hold that well

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Bill,
    I had the same concern about the track mounting when I first was figuring out how to mount rod holders. I talked with Lowe about getting a piece of the track to test for breaking strength. They said they could not send or sell me a piece of the track but they had tested it and it was strong. They designed it to be used like this and even offer there rod holder and other accessories for the track.

The opening to that track is 3/8 tall, the square nuts on the back side of the track are almost 3/4 of an inch tall. With them locked down it would both have to rip the face out of the track and raise the top lip of the track to get the square nuts out of the track. I pulled the boat around in the grass with one of the rod holders just to see how strong it was. I may live to know different but I am satisfied for now that they are strong enough to take it.
    Plus, I should have mentioned I lake fish 90 % of the time. 90 % of that is free line fishing with the spools open and or the clickers on. When i am drift fishing I back off the drag a little just in case I get hung up. I think that will allow me time to test for strength. The system I am working on for river fishing will be mounted to the floor and the sides in the back of the boat.

Thanks for the reply and comments.:big_smile:

5. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    whoa your puting a lot into that boat,sounds like you thought about it for awhile. hope it works out

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Looks good David. Keep us updated regularly.

7. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Hey Big Dav....been following your post and enjoying the updates....
    Jerry

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Looking good Dave. Keep the pics comming. I know you are ready to give it the maiden voyage. Good Luck.

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    That's going to be one nice rig when ur finished, keep up the good work & show pics when done!!!

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Looks to be the same as the T-Track on a War-eagle. If so a war-eagle dealer will sell the stuff I think its $10 per foot.
    Pete

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Looks awesome!!! Great job on everything...

Only suggestion I would have is replace the allen heads on the mounts, IF you want to easily adjust them that is... Just seems to me you'll be looking the the allen wrench at 2am etc. because you need to slide a holder down a few inches etc.. Or you fishing partner accidentally drops your allen wrench overboard hehe...Wingnut or T head would be a better option imho....

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments and replies. Very much appreciated. :big_smile:

Pete,
    I would love to get a piece of this track and put it through some torture. I could fabricate something pretty simple to use an old school torque wrench to find the point at which it would fail. I know I put a lot of weight against one of them and the rod holder itself flexed (more than I ever thought I could flex 1/2" stainless bar) but the mount did not move. I removed the mount to check for damage to the track and it was perfect, not a place to be found. As I said before I moved the boat around in the yard (grass) using only one of the rod holders. I pulled pretty dang hard against the rod holder.

Tim,
    I thought about the wing style bolts when I first started bouncing around the idea for the mounts. My main concern was having the line get tangled up in something like a wing nut. I free line a lot on the lakes (for eater channels) and I use rubber bands to keep the line somewhat tight (also works great as a strike indicator) going into the water. There is sometimes loose coils of line from my larger spinning reels that tend to hang down. The reason I went with the button / allen bolts was for the smooth surface they offered and one less thing to get the line tangled in. My luck the first good run I had, the line would get around one of the wing nuts and bye bye kitty.:sad2: If I did not free line so much the wing nuts would work great. I figure once I have these adjusted to where I want them they will not get moved very often. I put 10 of them on each side of the boat and I can put more if needed. I do see me moving them that often after a few trips to get them where I want them. Once I get a couple of trips using them I am going to use blue lock tite on the bolts to help with them possible working loose.

I picked up my jacks (pressurized truck supports for auto parts store) today to hold the lid up when needed and my piano hinge finally arrived. My control cables also showed up today. I worked a little on the hinge and jacks tonight but nothing worth pictures. I may get enough progress tomorrow or over the weekend to post more pictures. I have been going crazy sanding around pop rivets to prep for the tuff coat flooring. :crazy:

Would you guys coat the diamond plate around the large live well with the tuff coat or just leave it like it is? I ordered enough tuff coat to coat the box and lid but I am getting tired of sanding.:big_smile: I may just have the diamond plate sand blasted and coat it. :confused2: There is no way I am going to be able to sand it without having it sand blasted.

I have to get a couple of two inch legs bent tomorrow so I can finish raising the center console. I am 6'4" and it was just uncomfortable for me to stand and drive it the way it was. So I figured while I had the console out I would just raise it a couple of inches. That also allowed for a larger bait tank.:big_smile:

Thanks again for all the kind comments and replies.
    David

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Dave, thanks for the post and the pics of "your fishing machine".... been spending some time on the thinking part haven't you?..... great ideas.... should be fun to be in......and catching....

bayrunner ray

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Dav that is some good looking work. That will be a good fishing machine when finished. Makes me ashamed of my little contraptions.:wink:
    As for the asking a lot of questions, That is the only way you can find something out. Keep asking some one on here will have been there and done that.
    Keep us posted with the pixs we love the pixs

15. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Sounds like you have everything mapped out for a great custom rig. Goes to show us that anything is possible with a little engineering imagination. congrats on your abilities. Can't wait to see the finished product.

16. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The work you have done so far looks awesome. The natural diamond plate will be so bright it'll blind you. NAPA sells this stuff called aluminum brightener it is an acid based cleaner that will etch aluminum and the coating should stick just fine.

17. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks everyone, I did not get much done last night. I ran into problems with getting some diamond plate bent yesterday. Got it bent to the wrong:angry: angle and could not use it. Now I have to wait till Monday to get it fixed. That will hold me up on raising the console. I may have some new photos tonight.
    I have some work to do so I can figure out the angle to mount the jacks on the lid on the large live well.:confused2:

Thanks again for the kind comments, they are much appreciated.:feel_good:

David

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds to me you have thought of just about everything. I am looking forward to all of the things you are doing. I am going to have a boat built in the near future, and I 'm very interested. Keep up the good work. Later Andy

19. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Progress has been slow, I haven't had a lot of time to work on it the past few days. Plus I just haven't been feeling the best this week, darn back.:sad2:

Had some issues with the pieces to raise the center console. Did not get them re-bent until Tuesday evening. Had even more problems with the gas springs I was going to use on the large live well and seat. Ordered Stainless Steel springs and one of them came in broken.:angry:

The tuff coat floor coating came in yesterday and I have been sanding the floor trying to get a start on the prep for the coating.:crazy: They matched the color pretty good the best I can see to this point. There was some dried coating on the outside of the 5 gallon can and I compared it to the paint on the boat and I am happy with the match.
    I have been under the console looking at how and where I am going to install the containers for the Akwa Lung system. Still a little baffled on where I am going to mount them.:confused2::eek:oooh:

I have got a few more things done and a couple more pictures of what I am doing.
    The first ones are of the bait tank that I added to the center console. You can see the rounded corners and the recessed drain in the floor. I still need to open the floor of the boat for the plumbing.

Attached Files:

20. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    These next pictures are of how I raised the center console. I raised the console total of 2 & 1/4 inches from its original height. I had some 11 ga aluminum bent to match the angles on the console.
    I bent the existing feet on the console back flat and the pieces i made will be riveted and glued with panel bond (an industrial adhesive used in automotive collision repair, the stuff that your car is glued together with). :smile2: Should be plenty strong and I am going to coat the diamond plate with the Tuff Coat flooring.

Attached Files: