Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I sure wish we had a little more current. The rain we got last night was hard but didn't last very long. I am hoping they got a good amount more east of us into PA that will work it's way down to help.

There was a front that came ashore on the Gulf that could maybe work it's way up toward us. Doesn't matter quite as much what we might get but what they get in Ohio, East Kentucky and PA.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
My comment about the big fish last year isn't a gouge. No one dreams about going to the big river and catching a 7 or 8 pound cat. But if they are not biting, they are not biting. Eric and I have both been there for the "not biting" times in the past.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Eric, what are our rules for waters fished in the big fish hunt.

Can we launch from different ramps to save boat fuel?

Can we fish anywhere on the Ohio River or just in the pool between the Louisville Dam and the Cannelton Dam? (not above Louisville and not below Cannelton)

With the water as low as it is I don't know it there is any current below the dams anyway. I haven't fished these before.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I am definitely planning. Of course I use to plan to be wealthy also. Sorta gave up on that.

37 pounds is no slouch. That isn't bad. But, I think there is a bigger one in there. All that bigger one has to do is go out of his way to find me since I sure have had a hard time finding him. If all goes right, he will have a heck of a story to tell his buddies and I will have enough cash to get home on. :cool:

Nine days and counting

·
Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
As long as you fish the Cannelton Pool you are good to go for the big fish pot. Trailering to any spot in that Pool is just fine.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Sounds good Eric. I will say I sure wanted to trailer to below Cannelton Dam and do some back bouncing or maybe just fish in the current, but that can be done at another time. There might not even be any current there when the water is low, I don't know.

Anyway, Cannelton Pool it is.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
I'm cautiously optimistic about the rain forecast. Cincinnati is supposed to get over 1 inch of rain between Monday and Wednesday. Louisville about the same. If that does happen, it should bump the water level up a little bit for the gathering. Might even be a perfect situation.
On the flip side, the weather is going to bring a big change to air temperature. High 70s in the day, and mid 50s at night. Bring a sweater!

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I'm cautiously optimistic about the rain forecast. Cincinnati is supposed to get over 1 inch of rain between Monday and Wednesday. Louisville about the same. If that does happen, it should bump the water level up a little bit for the gathering. Might even be a perfect situation.
On the flip side, the weather is going to bring a big change to air temperature. High 70s in the day, and mid 50s at night. Bring a sweater!
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)-------🤞

That sound really good.

And your exactly right. Cool temps when it is damp at night make it seem really cold so bring warm clothes. Wet hands make it worse so bring a hand towel or two to dry things off. Plus the seats will all get wet from condensation so have something to dry them off.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Haha, I'll blame that on Spellcheck but just between us that is bull. Haha. I fixed it so the question now is did it really happen. lol

Proff reading it the best answer. Wouldn't you agrre? hahaha

tight lines

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
The weather forecast for:

Monday is PM thunderstorms
Tuesday is thunderstorms
Wednesday is periods of rain.

I am thinking this is a good thing. The river is low and slow. Often the west wind which is typical here will push your boat upstream which doesn't help drift fishing. Hopefully this will bring the river up some and add current without being so much it causes problems.

🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I fished the Smithland pool Thursday & Friday, not sure why but there was a raise in the river of about two feet, current was running about 1.5 - 1.75 mph, water slightly stained but still clear enough to see thousands of big head carp just below the surface and there was lots of trash floating down. I am hoping you guys find lots of catfish during the IN. gathering as except for channels they seem to be very rare in the thirty or so miles of the Ohio I fish. I caught one fish using Skip Jack and live Gills which turned out to be a Gar no less than 4 ft. long, I was super stoked during the fight right up until I got him to the top and identified him. Didn't bring him in the boat just reached over the side and got my hook out with a pair of needle nose. Good Luck to all the Hoosiers attending and hoping you all have a banner trip.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Pouring in Derby right now, unfortunately we’re downstream of New Am.
The rain is moving north. That won't help much since it is not coming down east of Louisville very far. Hopefully over night, the rain will move further east where it will do the most good for us.

Still got my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
I did get the bearings on my trailer repacked today. I would tell you what I thought about repacking bearings but we can't use that language here. But it is done so, that is all I have to say about that. Haha

·
Registered
Aaron from Indiana
164 Posts
Alright fellas, here's the attendee list at this point:

1. Eric (me)
2. Reese (Mr. Catfish)
3. Chris (Cadyman) and kids :)
4. Dan (Jesus Saves)
5. Stacee (Eastforker)
6. Tom (twaskom)
7. Kelly (Whisker Seeker 76)
8. Terry (Kelly's Friend and net man)
9. Jon (Trophy Flathead Hunter)
10. Matt (Pike in the boat)
11. Winston (Metalman) - on the fence
12. Aaron (Derbycat) - on the fence
13. Neill (Herbhome)
14. Neill's Significant Other

IF you are "on the fence", please post asap if you intend to join us or not. I want to be sure to buy the appropriate amount of hamburger.
I was finally able to confirm yesterday that I will be there for part of the weekend. My plan is to arrive at first light Saturday morning and head back home that evening. There’s a chance that I might return Sunday.

I’ll be there for the meal and am looking forward to meeting everyone in person. I’m going to bring along a pack of 3-way swivels for the giveaway. I’m going to pass on the big fish contest since I’ll only be there part of the time (which should guarantee that I catch the biggest fish :) ).

Hopefully there is still someone at the campground when I get there Saturday morning. That way if the ramp at the campground isn’t usable I can follow the convoy to Brandenburg.

See y’all in a few days!

P.S. I dumped 1.6 inches out of the rain gauge this morning.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Glad your going to be able to make it Aaron. There is a good chance you will be right about that bg fish. That seems to be the way thing s always work. lol.

That 1.6 inches of rain will help someone but I think they will be way down river from us. If we can get a little more today and it is a little farther upriver, it might help. If you have ever paid attention the McAlpine Dam, they keep their pool at an almost constant level and pass on everything that is extra.

Todays project is to set out everything that I will need for the gathering. Except of course those items that I will forget to being so I will have something to complain about. That also seems to be the way things always work. And before the day is done I will need to make some sinkers.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
Eric from Indianapolis
2,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Here's the refreshed attendee list:

1. Eric (me)
2. Reese (Mr. Catfish)
3. Chris (Cadyman) and kids :)
4. Dan (Jesus Saves)
5. Stacee (Eastforker)
6. Tom (twaskom)
7. Kelly (Whisker Seeker 76)
8. Terry (Kelly's Friend and net man)
9. Jon (Trophy Flathead Hunter)
10. Matt (Pike in the boat)
11. Winston (Metalman) - on the fence
12. Aaron (Derbycat)
13. Neill (Herbhome)
14. Neill's Significant Other

Winston, I left you on the fence with hope that it will motivate you to join us lol!

141 - 160 of 178 Posts