2009 Fishing Regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Grimpuppy, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    KDWP has released a summary of the new 2009 fishing regs. It can be viewed here http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Fishing/2009-FISHING-REGULATIONS-AVAILABLE-SOON. These are just summaries of the new regs. The detailed regs will be in the printed book that you always see on the counter of the bait shop, walmart sporting goods, and other places you buy licenses. There a some changes that are worth looking at this year so you may want to snag one of the books when they come out.

There is one thing that affects me since I fish Milford a lot. They have changed the creel limit of blues from 10 a day to 5 a day. That is a signifigant change. How significant? At the last Gathering Tom, Nate, and myself caught 12 blues. Under this new rule we would have been 3 away from a limit vs 18 away from a limit with the old rule. We could have easily caught more than 3 more fish if I would learn how to hook a fish. I usually fish with Larry and we have never caught a limit of 20 blues between us under the old rule. We have caught more than 10 and I have caught more than 5 often fishing by myself. So it will reduce the number of blues taken out of the lake as long as they enforce it. It also mentions a detail of the length limit and creel limit will be covered in the book. Does that mean there will be a slot length, minimum length or maximum length on Blues out of these lakes? It will be interesting to get a book and find out.I believe it is for the good and support it.

The other thing in there is the "jug" fishing. It is only allowed in 6 lakes, Tuttle is one but Milford is not, and it is only a 2 month season. Again it is not as bad as I thought it would be and don't have a problem with it, as long as they enforce it and it doesn't turn into a free for all at every lake all year long..

Curious what everyone else's thoughts are about the new rules.

2. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey this is some great info to have, thanks.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, man, that sounds great, about the Bluecats and jug fishing for Milford Lake. Maybe the Bluecat population will come back to what it was around 6, 8 years ago.
    Not to brag, but back then I'd caught my limit (10) of Blues many times, not just eater's either. I'd been fishing with another person, and we'd still limit out.
    I fished just about every day, and never missed having a nice catch of 10+lb Blues, happy day's may be coming back for you guys:smile2:

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I was looking at the KDWP blog and they actually had something about their trophy catfish management plan. check it out http://kdwp.blogspot.com/search?q=catfish+management
    Its about 54 pages long but an interesting read. after page 45 is where the pictures and graphs start, for those of you that cant read.

They recomended a 5 fish limit for all catfish species in any lake that wanted trophies. They also proposed creel limits on channels for woodson SFL. On the graphs it was interesting that almost 100 percent of catfish, over 23 inches, where harvested. It was highly supported on the blogs though. hopefully we will continue to see managment continue.

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    If it wasnt for that right there, the channel cat state record would have been broken more times in the past 27 yrs. Its a shame , that people think they have to take home 20+ lb. channels. That is why I am pushing for a 28" and over mandatory release. :sad2:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One thing to keep in mind, with something like a 28" mandatory release, is that the state record would never be broken because you couldn't legally keep the fish long enough for the certification process. I'd be ok with that, just don't be surprised.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea but most laws like that are just temp. when the cats get big and the crappie and bass start dissapearing that limit would change:wink:

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Casey, thanks for that link, it is long, I just scanned it, then downloaded it so I can print and take my time reading it. Good stuff in there, about time!

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They should just allow the harvest of one "trophy" sized fish per day and everyone will be happy.
    The flatheads dont get much respect from the KDWP because they dont have enough info on them. Mostly because the majority of "anglers" are liners and are extremely secretive. They are hard to track to do creel surveys and such so they have no idea how many are harvested. Plus they very seldomly stock them in reservoirs. They are a finite resource and they receive alot of pressure. Without supplemental stocking or stricter regularions they could become scarce pretty easily.
    I wish they would care more for my beloved flathead.:smile2:

11. Johnboy1975

Johnboy1975 New Member

State:
    Muscotah Kansas
    Thanks for the info guys.

12. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Sounds as if KDWP has taken a more Draconian route to the ideas we have
    been discussing, but it has simular effects and is more easily enforced.
    In halving the creel limit, they hope to increase recruitment at all levels
    of the cat population. Perhaps they feel the larger fish don't need more
    protection since heavier equipment is often nessecary to harvest them?
    The Zebco 33 crowd might differ with them on that, insisting that anything
    up to ten lbs is theirs. They are entitled to their opinion. Perhaps the law
    figures that if they don't restrict taking larger fish that the purchase of
    those WalMart combos aimed at 20lb line with stout 7ft rods will give them
    a good share of federal monies? That is how those funds are generated
    through sale of tackle. Lucky that having the right sized equipment don't
    mean you can find a 30lb+ fish...Interesting.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kyle, I agree with you 100%, they should give all 3 species the opportunity to reach trophy size. They should also provide a "Game Thief" phone number that really works for turning in the poachers. I've called it many a time with not even a return phone call, EVER!:sad2:

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Well, I forgot to add, with an exception for a possible state record, with phone numbers posted at all lakes, to get a hold of a game warden, to begin certification process.

15. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

If we had several lakes and stretches of rivers that were protected for trophy fishing, I think you would have all the meat fishers loading their coolers full of fish, because they know the odds of seeing a game warden.

16. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Consider that this will not apply to the "Anchored jugs" that fall under the setline rule that will probably continue at Milford and other lakes. I just wonder if some of those juggers will go to Tuttle Creek. I myself cant see anyone at Tuttle trying to keep up with unanchored jugs with the 25-35mph SW breeze usually blowing up there, but who knows?

17. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Im not sure what you are saying but I dont think limiting the amount of trophy fish taken will make people go out and keep them. I am not really infavor of just having certain stretches/areas of water managed for trophies either.
    IMO, they should make the most out of what they have and try to create a quality fishery everywhere, instead of just focusing on a few bodies of water. For example, the state lakes. They are very small and generate very little money. People dont pay to use them. But they are the best bet for a big channel. Why? Because they spend alot of money on supplemental food and they are managed more for trophy sized fish. Seems like they take the money people pay to camp and boat at the big lakes and give it all to the small ones.
    Too bad they didnt manage the bigger lakes like they do the little ones.
    Another thing to point out. A good percentage of fish that are in a lake will spread out up into the rivers come spring. They provide fishing for hundreds of miles of rivers in some cases. A good population in the lakes is very critical to the quality of the fishing in the rivers that feed them. I catch fish here in Wichita that swam up from Kaw Lake, OK, which is over a hundred miles downstream. Thats quite the haul but not to a bluecat.
    The best thing would be to limit the number of big fish taken home. Will everyone obey the law? No, they never do. But some will. There has to be a balance. If you just had certain areas that were regulated for trophies then those areas would receive too much pressure and eventually it would take its toll on the fishery.
    They should also educate people as to why its a good idea to practice selective harvest. Thats something that we should do too.

18. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I agree with you Kyle, but the odds of having a state wide length limit are not as good as having different limits for different lakes and rivers. If you read that publication that I posted it said the general fishing public was not in favor of trophy fish management. I like you one big fish rule. I wish they would put more strict limits on the missouri river, at least where it borders KS, but it wouldn't matter much unless Mo went along with it.

19. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I think all money from liscense sales goes into KS general funds, and then our politicans give them money out of the budget. And people do pay to use the small lakes, its called taxes.

20. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    What are taxes?:eek:oooh::smile2: