2009 Clear Lake Derby - The Aftermath

Discussion in 'TOURNAMENT TALK' started by KnotGillty, May 18, 2009.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Fished the Clear Lake channel cat derby with my buddy Chuck. We landed fish up to 17+ pounds. Lots of double digit fish were put in my boat (11). I released a 17 pound 10 ounce fish on Friday night only to find out on Sunday that it would have placed me in the money (the 21st place fish was only 17.20 pounds). It always take a 19+ fish to place in the money, but this year was the exception. Hard lesson learned. But that didn't ruin my weekend as I had a great time with an old friend, laughed until my eyes cried, and ate hot meals on the boat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We launched the boat Friday morning at 9am and didn't put the boat back on the trailer until Sunday morning at 10am.

Here are pics of a few of our fish.

Attached Files:

• 4b.jpg
      4b.jpg
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
    • 9a.jpg
      9a.jpg
      File size:
      19.6 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      25.9 KB
      Views:
  2. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    a few more pics

Attached Files:

• 8a.jpg
      8a.jpg
      File size:
      17.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      43.7 KB
      Views:
    • 8b.jpg
      8b.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:

3. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Some more

Attached Files:

• 9b.jpg
      9b.jpg
      File size:
      14.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5a.jpg
      5a.jpg
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
    • 11a.jpg
      11a.jpg
      File size:
      16.5 KB
      Views:
  4. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    A couple more

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      28.4 KB
      Views:
    • 41.jpg
      41.jpg
      File size:
      24.1 KB
      Views:
  5. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    I'd like to thank Steve (Katfish J) and his crew for their hospitality Thursday night. The steaks were to die for and the martini's were pretty good too.:wink:

Here we are at the weigh in on Sunday. Steve placed with a 19 pound fish and Tony placed with one a few ounces heavier.

Thanks for the memories guys

Attached Files:

6. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Where do I begin? Nice fish, nice fish, and nice fish. Glad to see everyone caught nice fish and had a great time doing it. Wish I could have been there. I think you just made a great case for a gathering there next year. I would love to catch one of those big beautiful channels. Good job guys!

Is the bank fishing decent there as well?

Sean!

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yo Randy good going. Sorry I could not make it for the long trip, I had to do the local thing but may look into the next one. Partners on that long shot is key. Maybe I can see if Catmando will swing with me for that one. We talked about it for years but have not been able to pull the trigger yet for it. LOL.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "OH Yea" - I see that I own my boy Luckie & Steve some $$$$$$ because they both came through for me
    (and I take care of people that take care of me)
    so you know that I had that team in the pool - lol:happy:
    &
    I also had some $$$$$$ on my boy Randy and that he would put 3 fish over 10 pounds in his boat - lol:happy:

No Just Kiddin'
    :wink:

But I did say that they were going to go up there and:
    "Do The D@M Thing"
    and they did!

I'm just glad that they all had a good time there.

:0a23:

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Nice going Steve, Randy and Luckie. Way to represent:wink: Nice report and pictures Randy. Rest up brother, you will get ur done next year:wink:

10. KATFISH J.

KATFISH J. New Member

State:
    CALIFORNIA
    Thanks guys, had one of the best cat trips I`ve ever been on.....That place just seems to amaze me, year after year......I`ve fished for cats all over california, I`ve caught channels and white cats in the delta, and nice channels in the Motherload lakes and rivers, and I`ve caught big Blues in the great San Diego lakes, and even caught some Flats down in the desert, but none of those places even come close to and I mean close to fishing for those cats at Clearlake, thank God I`ve got to experience that in my life time...... Those Channels were so strong and pulled hard, alot harder than the Planted channels down in so. cal.
    Tony and I caught 28 cats the first day, with most of them being DD...Alot of them where in the 9-10lb range, with the small ones going 6-7lbs and we did`nt have very many of those.... The first night Tony got a 19#er and I got a 16#, we kept them in the live well till the mourning....
    Went to the cabin and fresh`in up the bait box get clean clothes and more food and drinks.... Got back to the spot we go ....Man it seemed like every boat was hooked up every time you looked around...We anchored up and started fishing, about 15 min. go by and I hook a 15#er then a 16#er there getting bigger I tell Tony, Then I get bit again this one seems to be the right kind, man what a fight, we land it and give each other a big hug, with all the hard work and no sleep and seeing a money fish in the deck of the boat, it just does`nt get better than that, it was so fat we thought for sure we had a shot at the boat, but the fish looked bigger than he was, 18.70#`s good enough for 5th at the time, so saturday night Tony and I are sitting in 4th and 5th going into the last night.....Well , only got about 7 fish that night so we were able to get some naps in.....Friday night we got no sleep, fish were bending our poles left and right, at one point we had no poles in the water and 4 channel cats on the deck, it was total chaos...lol... It was alot of hard work, but alot of fun.......Saturday night was slower because of the fishing preasure and boat traffic, its been the pattern there so next year we will change up our saturday plans......Had so much fun hooking up with Knotgillty and Chuck , those guys are too cool......We are already planning our trip to the Hawaii Randy we`ll talk about that soon can`t wait to fish over there with Chuck.....Thanks Katfish Posse Crew you guys made the trip great....
    And thanks to Lucky 33, Your the best team mate, thanks for everything we`ll always be in the money where ever we go bro, Pickwick here we come, Cali`s in the house...lol....
    If anybody really considers them selfs catfishermen, you`ll have to visit Clearlake for sure.....

GET THE NET !!!!!:crazy:

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I concur. Bulldog. That is an accomplishment. Too much for me this year to do that drive. Too many other things to pay for. LOL. The boat fixing gave me a whipping. Not to mention my near teenage soon that found all about fashion and other boy things lately. LOL He takes a lot of my money now and is not into fishing as much as he use to be. But like I say maybe next time. I have a hard enough time driving to San Diego and the River from L.A. as far as staying awake. :smile2:

12. KATFISH J.

KATFISH J. New Member

State:
    CALIFORNIA
    As Jim Roam would say, MAN`S GAME :angry:

13. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yeah most definitely Scotty. I do try to tone down though my boy is into boxing and sports now so I have to take time away from fishing and do things that he wants. Fatherhood is the most important thing. :big_smile: I try to fish though twice a month and the other weekends is family time or other matters. 2 times a month if that is the motto now. Young boys these days have too many other influences these days. I teach them and I know what they can get into.

B

14. KATFISH J.

KATFISH J. New Member

State:
    CALIFORNIA
    Yea the trip really has to be planned, if a person really wants to go you should try and pay for everything in advance...The trip was not that hard if you share cost with some body....We slpit a 2 bed room 2 bath small cottage with 5 of us for 5 nights, 200.00 each and Tony and I split the gas at around 150.00 each, then your food and drink and entry fee, not a bad 6 day vacation, we got there 2 days before the derby and came home the next day after the derby, so the partying was as fun as the fishing....
    I don`t know of any vacation you can go on 500.00 or less amd have the time of your life .........Next year I`m putting something together and taking up some people and showing the ropes so if anybody is intrested hit me up.........

Katfish Posse

15. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    You're right on the money there Bulldog. Couldn't agree with ya more. I love to go relax and listen to a basketball or baseball game with a pole in the water, food in my stomach, and beer in hand.:wink: Having fun to me is first and foremost, or else what's the point?

16. CatMan(Cali)

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Fatherhood is the most important thing. Raising a boy takes more than money it takes a lot of time. And that means time away from fishing too. I try to get out twice a month too. Wrestling practice and tournaments take a lot of my time away from fishing, but honestly I'd rather do nothing else than watch my son do his thing out there on the mat. I'm glad he loves wrestling and football so much because there are so many other influences out there. Hopefully these positive influences(including fishing) can carry over into his teenage years and onto adulthood, because you can't always be there to hold their hand along the way.

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Any long distance trip should be prepared for. One thing about me is that I am lucky and get the whole summers off so I really do not have the be that cut from time to plan a trip like I do this summer. I normally go the Georgia twice a year sometimes by driving like I did a few months ago and I also have the New York trip planned this summer too for a week or so. The Georgia trip one way was about $375 in gas one way to Atlanta. But this year around was tough on everybody as the economy sucks big time. A lot of people are cutting back on fishing in general. I know so many people out of work now. :sad2: Just the way of the world right now until things get a little better.

18. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Steve, SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH, we don't want anyone knowing about our little secret:wink:

But seriously, all you dudes are really missing out on some world class fishing for channel cats.

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yeah Randy. I told you I may make way up there this summer to check it out so keep that in mind if I contact you. That is a better time frame no kids in school, I am not in school, plus more free time. I want to get some of those crappie though I been hearing about and maybe a trophy or two channel. My biggest is 36 pounds but that was years ago like in 2000. :smile2:

20. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Nice to have met you Tony. I'm dying to see the video but I'm at work and don't have access. I'll hit it up tonight to bring back the memories. . .

Let me know Brian when you can make it up. The more advance notice, the better. We'll hit it hard for a day or two, maybe even take in a concert.

Hey Steve, how was the striper fishing on Tuesday?